Broken gimble arm

Reaction score
I was flying in heavy winds today and only about 10 feet up n hit a tree branch...yep I'm not afraid to admit it..lol..bird landed upside down..broke a pop and the whole gimble broke ..camera still works OK. .does anyone know where I can buy a new one..it's the arm with the hole in the the end that goes over the shaftop on the circuit board..thanks in advance

Call Mike Holt
He is in California.
#530-277-5366

Keep in mind, when that happens the gimbal main board can get damaged as well. Mike will have whatever parts you need, great prices, and he garantees his parts. He even has complete units.

Jerry from Florida
If he asks who sent you. ( he will usually give you a better deal, he is a GREAT guy and a great friend as well. ) very cool to talk to, and super smart! I love picking his brain!

J Dot
:cool:

Just do a search on Amazon for Phantom 3 gimbal arm repair kit.. There are dozens of sites out there selling the item to repair the arm. There are also dozens of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. It is fairly easy to do, but you can make some mistakes. Mounting it on the shaft too low or too high will cause it to bind up. Just loosen the set screw and preposition. For me the hardest part was reinstalling the ribbon cable. I just couldn't make it look as nice and tight as when it was done at the factory. You can remove and save the p lactic drop pins if you remove then very carefully. Otherwise, just install new ones.

Most or all the parts you'll need you can find on ebay assuming Mike Holt doesn't have any. But I would recommend just diving into it head first...so to speak....and like Granpa Don said, you may make some mistakes, but you'll work through it and then the next time it won't be nearly as scary.
Sometimes you may put it all back together, and something isn't right, probably a shaft/motor 180 deg off, or ribbon cable not seated properly. I found that even though they may look perfect inserted to the line etc etc......sometimes for some reason they just don't make the connection. The last gimbal I worked on didn't work, didn't do nothing when I powered up. I took off the ribbon cable, checked everything couldn't find anything visibly wrong. But you know what, it worked flawlessly when I powered up again. It had to have been the cable.

Oh yea, be careful when your trying to release the ribbon cable from the boards. those little levers you have to lift up are delicate.

So dive in and just do it ..... just be careful and work methodically and my bet is you'll do just fine.

There are some great uTube videos on ribbon cable replacement that are well worth the time. As "grandpa Don" says, be careful with the connectors!!!.

In my line of work, I work on a lot of machines with circuit boards that have that type of connector. When I first encountered one, I didn't know how to open it. Thus I accidentally broke it. The little tiny flap piece of plastic on top broke. I had to replace the entire circuit board at a cost of $1,100.00 just for that. Use you finger nail to carefully slide under the strip and gently pry up.

thnks guys..i managed to replace the arm without having to disconnect the ribbon cable from the circuit board and yeah that wasnt easy lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20