Broken gimbal motor shaft question

Reaction score
Can anyone who has installed the gimbal motor shaft give me some info please. I am interested in knowing how difficult removal/installation is before I decide to tackle it myself. I'm pretty handy in the hobby but this delicate and expensive gimbal gives me pause.

The damage occurred while transporting my Vision+ in a Goprofessional case that is made for the Vision+. Silly me put the case in the back of a Jeep stored on it's end and drove up a mountain in St. John on the way to get some awesome video. The gimbal protector came off at some point and this happened...

I should have known better but oh well. I tested the function of the camera and gimbal and all seems well except for the obvious. The screen on the app read "gimbal error" of course but everything else seemed to work. Just for the record, I had zero problems transporting the Vision+ on a flight in checked baggage. Just be sure to remove lipo's and carry them on the plane.

Also, I tried to contact this person via their website to inquire about the shaft but they never responded to me. http://shop.uavrepairshop.com/Motor-Sha ... l-0029.htm
Has anyone purchased from them before? Is there a better place (with reliable customer service) to purchase the shaft?

Attachments

• 20150117_161258.jpg
    20150117_161258.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 780
Brent said:
Can anyone who has installed the gimbal motor shaft give me some info please. I am interested in knowing how difficult removal/installation is before I decide to tackle it myself. I'm pretty handy in the hobby but this delicate and expensive gimbal gives me pause.

The damage occurred while transporting my Vision+ in a Goprofessional case that is made for the Vision+. Silly me put the case in the back of a Jeep stored on it's end and drove up a mountain in St. John on the way to get some awesome video. The gimbal protector came off at some point and this happened...

I should have known better but oh well. I tested the function of the camera and gimbal and all seems well except for the obvious. The screen on the app read "gimbal error" of course but everything else seemed to work. Just for the record, I had zero problems transporting the Vision+ on a flight in checked baggage. Just be sure to remove lipo's and carry them on the plane.

Also, I tried to contact this person via their website to inquire about the shaft but they never responded to me. http://shop.uavrepairshop.com/Motor-Sha ... l-0029.htm
Has anyone purchased from them before? Is there a better place (with reliable customer service) to purchase the shaft?

I have repaired 50 or so of them now... You can certainly buy the shaft. UAV repair shop is a great shop to work with and he is slammed with work right now. Hani does great work.... ;)

Contact this guy for the motor shaft.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-shaft-rep ... 3aa02512fc

As far as replacing the shaft. You must remove the 3 screws from the camera side and the one on the opposite side. Carefully unclip the motor control board from both ribbon connections. Remove the 3 motor screws that hold the motor in place. Then using a bench vise or a hole drilled in a block of hardwood support the aluminum side(bottom side of the motor). Then use a small punch to drive the small motor shaft end from the magnet steel side down through the bearings.

Jeremy James USdronerepair.com

Lucky that ribbon cable didn't break.

burlbark said:
I have repaired 50 or so of them now... You can certainly buy the shaft. UAV repair shop is a great shop to work with and he is slammed with work right now. Hani does great work.... ;)

Contact this guy for the motor shaft.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-shaft-rep ... 3aa02512fc

As far as replacing the shaft. You must remove the 3 screws from the camera side and the one on the opposite side. Carefully unclip the motor control board from both ribbon connections. Remove the 3 motor screws that hold the motor in place. Then using a bench vise or a hole drilled in a block of hardwood support the aluminum side(bottom side of the motor). Then use a small punch to drive the small motor shaft end from the magnet steel side down through the bearings.

Jeremy James USdronerepair.com

Perfect. Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj