Broken Compass Connector

That's an easy fix for someone with good soldering skills. Just need to push the connector back down
and solder a bridge from the connector lead to the nearby test pad.

That's an easy fix for someone with good soldering skills. Just need to push the connector back down
and solder a bridge from the connector lead to the nearby test pad.
Do you think I can just heat up the current solder and push it back down? You may not be able to tell from the pictures but all of the pins have been disconnected form the solder. That one just happen to lift from the main board.

So you're saying that for the 4 left pins, they've broken off from their "feet"?
That makes it more tricky. You can of course try to push them back together and heat up the joints and add more solder to reconnect them.
It may work, it may not. Best option would be to replace the connector. I believe it's a JST GH-series, available from Digikey or Mouser.

So you're saying that for the 4 left pins, they've broken off from their "feet"?
That makes it more tricky. You can of course try to push them back together and heat up the joints and add more solder to reconnect them.
It may work, it may not. Best option would be to replace the connector. I believe it's a JST GH-series, available from Digikey or Mouser.

Just ordered it. Thanks for your help! Now off to watch soldering tutorials lol.

Hello guys

I have the same problem. I have broke the compass connector on the motherboard from Phantom 3. Now the question remains. Which connector to buy ( JST GH). I do know know which one.

Official retailer told me i have to buy a brand new motherboard ( cheesy shoot to make money ). I believe it can be fixed with a new connector and a good soldering skills.

Please do help to buy the right connector

Don't let me take this thread off-course but I just had to say I love the international or cultural idioms.

i.e "cheesy shoot to make money"

Steven, if you have a good thin tip soldering iron, this is pretty easy to solder down unless the whole connection got torn out with the
connector, then you'll have to wire it. those copper dots are also solder joint points and you can take that route.

Reactions: Steven Price
Hunch:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm attaching two photographs to this post; one of the connector (which was once attached) and the other of the mainboard with the bent/broken pins.

I've never soldered anything other than speaker connectors, so in your opinion, what would be my best route?

Thanks so much for your time. IMG_7910.JPGIMG_7911.JPG

Looks like all your 5 connections are in good shape. Unsolder the remaining ones off and clean the connectors. Then tin them slightly and solder a new connector to the board.
You will need a really thin tip on the solder at about 450 degrees.

Hunch: Thanks for the quick reply. When you say "connections" do you mean the pins? 2 of them are broken off. It's hard to tell in the photograph. I circled the area and re-uploaded the photograph. IMG_7910.JPG

Not my phantom, but on a mother board that runs my aftermarket Electronic fuel inj. unit on my old Ford, 3 of the 6 pins had broken off. For these tiny connections I went to an electronics store for help. They had one of their techs reinstall the tiny pins & tin/solder everything as new, it was worth every cent of the $40.00. they charged me.

Hunch: Thanks for the quick reply. When you say "connections" do you mean the pins? 2 of them are broken off. It's hard to tell in the photograph. I circled the area and re-uploaded the photograph. View attachment 57338

be VERY careful with the capacitor to the right of the connectors (little brown square) over the weekend i was fixing
the same thing for the customer and i pressed the tip of the solder little to close to it and i burned it right off.
ended up replacing the whole main board... UGH.. it was my first project on a saturday morning at 5.30 .
i was so mad, because i tested it and it worked and i just wanted to make sure it is 100% perfect and that's when i
burned the cap off. well, things only went up the hill from that moment on :D

Do you do this professionally? If so, do you have a website or e-mail address where we could talk?

I removed the remaining pins as two had already broken off and I had no idea where they went. Were to I to purchase an entirely new JST-GH connector would the pins be included with it?

yes i do.
uavrepairshop.com
or if you're on FB find group called UAV Repair Shop and join it and i'll add you to it and we can talk there

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl