broken battery cell error msg.

Reaction score
Is this battery NFG, or is there something I could try to do to "fix" it?

Attachments

• IMG_0020.PNG
    IMG_0020.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0021.PNG
    IMG_0021.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0022.PNG
    IMG_0022.PNG
    5.2 MB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0023.PNG
    IMG_0023.PNG
    4.7 MB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0024.PNG
    IMG_0024.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 526
Hum, very interesting, looks like my place, I should be cleaning up instead of flying... :rolleyes:

Well I have and will playing with some batteries this weekend, here some of my quirks.

Motor Overload Question

I will be watching this thread closely. ;)

Rod

Reactions: nwcove
Try to discharge the battery down to 5% and charge it back to 100%.
How cold btw warm was it outside? 36°C after 17min flight time does not look good as mine reaches 50°C after 15-20min flight time.

The warning message is rubbish ... the cell is not broken - or it would show zero !!

What you have is a 'weak cell' ... its not able to handle the power draw and its voltage sags more than the others.

If the battery is still in warranty - the best is to get it swapped out by dealer for a new one ...

But if out of warranty ... then :

Some will tell you to 'Deep Discharge' the battery to about 3V per cell and then charge up fully again ... you can try ... but even if you get it to come up to the other 3 cells - its only a temporary measure as it will drop again literally first use. You can buy adaptors to discharge these batterys to 15.4V storage or switch to 12V deep discharge ...
Battery Control USB Light Charger Power Discharger Adapter For DJI Phantom 3 | eBay

s-l225.jpg

LiPo's are not recoverable ... once they start to fail - its a slippery slope and accumulative. some claim to fix them ... but in all honesty - something else was wrong and they were lucky.

What I would try first ... is SWITCH ON battery and then connect to charger ... let it charge right up and auto cut-off.

Go do a close in safe flight to draw the battery down ... I honestly do not like static running of these models at all ... camera / gimbal gets hot etc. So best is to do a low level flight close in so you can see whats' happening. You can land at any time if needed. Keep flights short of maybe a minute or so ... land ... check battery numbers ... fly again ... repeat ... to get a good idea of what's happening.
Charge up again with battery Switched ON ...

Repeat short hop flights and reading results.

If nothing else - you will get to understand the limitation of a weak battery ... and be able to fly it accordingly.
You can of course of not under warranty and not trusted for flight - use it for updates / bench working of the model to save using a good battery pack. This is a common practice of many modellers with lipos.

Nigel

Reactions: RodPad and nwcove
One of the problems of deep discharge is that we cannot control the cells themselves. The discharge draws total battery and if you have a poor cell - you can drag that cell even lower and do more damage. The 'intelligent' board in the DJI battery is supposed to look after this - but believe me ... its a risk not worth taking ...

12V (3v per cell) for a 4 cell LiPo is basically rock bottom ... below that and cells start to not like it ... 2.7V on a cell and it starts to be damaged ... 2.5V and you are asking for trouble.

So take a bad battery ... one cell is weak ... you start discharge to take it to 12V ... that weak cell will draw down faster than the other 3 ... and can in fact go lower than the required 3V ... but because the other 3 cells are above 3V ... the discharger says all is fine ... when it stops at 12V ... you could have any cell numbers as long as total is 12V.

Nigel

Reactions: RodPad and nwcove
Try to discharge the battery down to 5% and charge it back to 100%.
How cold btw warm was it outside? 36°C after 17min flight time does not look good as mine reaches 50°C after 15-20min flight time.
If dji wont cover it i will try the deep discharge. The temp outside was 7 or 8 C. I wasnt working the battery hard tho, mostly just hovering and watching the battery condition.

If dji wont cover it i will try the deep discharge. The temp outside was 7 or 8 C. I wasnt working the battery hard tho, mostly just hovering and watching the battery condition.
Ok that tells why the temp was not high. Maybe the cells were not well balanced. When did you charge it? Was the battery at full-capacity?

it was fully charged just before this mornings flight after being discharged and stored for a couple of weeks . ( discharged to somewhere between 25-50% )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31