Broke the 15min FPV mark today!

Though this discussion is getting a little ot, sorry. :oops: I think a heavy phantom really needs some props that can easily lift it, adding an extra battery and graupner profile props I think would be lucky to get any more flight time out of it as they can barely lift a stock standard phantom. When underpropped it fly's like crap and drains battery like crazy so adding more weight in batteries if your already struggling to lift your setup is not going to do much for you.

Glockindahaus said:
Do they fit the Phantom without any changes to the center of the prop?

You would need to ream out the holes to 8mm for stock motors, I use Tiger mt-2216 kv 900 and these are a stock round 5mm prop shaft. Main reason I got them is to be able to easily try different props which on stock DJI motors is a bit of a pain. A few other guys are also using them on stock motors now but I havent had the stocks for a while.

rilot said:
Those props; GWS 9x5s?

I have just bought 4 of those so will be trying them this weekend.

I don't rate the Graupners on the Phantom at all. I have a set of 8 x 5s and it flies really unstable with them on. I tried playing with the gains but I put it down to the profile in the end. Not enough lift.

Recently I dropped the Graupner 9x5s on my F550 and replaced them with APC Electric E 9x4.5s and it's much more stable.

I'll stick all my Graupners on Ebay I think. Expensive props and not that great.[/quote]

Graupners may be good for other purposes but once you fly the phantom a while and try a few different props you can see how the lift effects flight time, performance and stability. The 8x5 graupner profile props are the nicest props I have but just the wrong profile so they have barely half the lift of stock 8045 DJI props. It barely lifts my phantom with single camera and FPV coming down hard after barely 4 min where stock will get me 7 and 9050x3 over 8 with the same setup.

Its ok martcer I think dual battery and heavy weight lifting methods come hand in hand. I for one would be very interested to see 2 full video tests using each to see how they affect battery life, lift and handling. Really gagging for my Hero3 to come back so I can take some footage myself!

I am using e-models CF props. Personally I love them. They have slowed down the aggressive climb rate a little (which actually i don't find a bad thing) but they seem much better and stopping a heavy Phantom as it descends (due to less flex).

DeweyAXD said:
So with all the fun of my new T8J I have yet to talk about my dual battery test.

My Hero3 is in Holland being replaced under warranty (overheating!) so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to just try a pure FPV flight. I hooked up the cam that came with the Fatshark Predator along with my Dual battery/FPV setup (shown here):

I still need some SpiroNet antennas (Badly!) but I was amazed how good the little camera was in the goggles. Don't get me wrong it is no Hero3 but the goggles have a set resolution so you will of course only ever get a certain quality of image.

I had the 2250mah NanoTech in the shell and the stock 2200mah DJI batt in the cage (it has run a fair few cycles!).
Using the T8J's timer I got a whopping 15mins 22 seconds of flight in moderate wind using GPS mode before the Red lights kicked in. This was a real time flight too (not just a hover). Flying over fields between 10-200ft roughly (CF props make a world of difference!).

Final battery voltages after the flight/drive home:
- NanoTech 2250mah = 11.18v (c1= 3.70, c2=3.69, c3=3.71)
- DJI 2200mah = 11.29 (c1= 3.73, c2=3.74, c3=3.75)

These IMO are in a nice safe zone. The green light was flashing after landing (I have stock voltage limits in the Naza). Probably another minute safe flying.

Without the weight of the Hero3 the Phantom was nicely lively and with some SpiroNet antenna and the T8J I could easily do a nice 700m - 1km flight. I probably wouldn't push that far due to breaching the LOS rule (though some would argue any FPV goggles break that!).

Still for those that love FPV for just the fun of the flight (and not recording it in HD) this really felt like a good combination. I am convinced enough by it that I will be designing a bigger cage to house my second NanoTech (adding 34g weight to today’s rig). Due to the weight I doubt I will ever get 20 mins but 17-18 looks a real possibility.

Oh and to end on an entertaining embarrassing note - Smart Cars... they are bloody handy for Phantom flying! I usually take my Impreza but took the Smart today (my business'mobile as i call it). The drop down tail gate made a great setup table - just like a Range Rover :lol:

I'm hoping someone makes a carrier for the Sony Action Cam AS-15. I have that camera as well as the GoPro. The Sony's have Steadycam technology and the resolution is better than the GoPro. I'm a newbie Phantom pilot and learning my ways around. Thanks for all the great posts!

RedFishChaser said:
I'm hoping someone makes a carrier for the Sony Action Cam AS-15. I have that camera as well as the GoPro. The Sony's have Steadycam technology and the resolution is better than the GoPro. I'm a newbie Phantom pilot and learning my ways around. Thanks for all the great posts!

Am I right in thinking the AS-15 has a tripod mount on the bottom? If so I have a solution for you on my shapeways shop... converts a GoPro mount into a camera hotshoe: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1149803 ... terialId=6

All you'd need to do is source a hotshoe-to-tripod fixing like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Camera-Pr ... 51a758a169
It looks like overkill maybe but might just be the answer? Of course if it doesn't have a tripod thread then its no help at all! :eek:

I like the concept of the Sony. I actually think it is better thought pacakage than the Hero3 in many ways (but I have had problems with mine). Image wise though the Hero3 Black blows it away. Its not that the Sony is a bad image at all... far from it. Sony features with GoPro image/mount system - now that would be a thing to behold! :mrgreen:

DeweyAXD said:
Its ok martcer I think dual battery and heavy weight lifting methods come hand in hand. I for one would be very interested to see 2 full video tests using each to see how they affect battery life, lift and handling. Really gagging for my Hero3 to come back so I can take some footage myself!

I am using e-models CF props. Personally I love them. They have slowed down the aggressive climb rate a little (which actually i don't find a bad thing) but they seem much better and stopping a heavy Phantom as it descends (due to less flex).

I have used a few CF 8 and 9 inch props and do like a few of them but finding the triblades even though they seem too soft fly quite well and better then any 2 bladed props I have tried. If someone made the GWS 9050x3 cloned in very high quality carbon I think these would be just about the perfect prop for a phantom. Its frame size limits props to 9 inches and lift wise I think 10x4 would be much better suited and this is pretty much the same lift you get out of 9x5x3.

I will do some full tests later but I really wouldnt want to be pushing it on any regular props at this weight, the triblades give me great confidence in the air but a heavy phantom on dual blades in comparison is a little sketchy. Some props I tried heavy were so bad that I pretty much flew for a minute or so then caught it as it looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Re the sony camera its a nice camera and im surprised nobody makes anti jello mounts with basic tripod thread mount. Would work great for gopro and many other cams but it shows how big a market gopro is that most couldnt care about the rest and focus purely on gopro mounts. The 3 black uses a sony sensor and much better encoding then the sony along with cam raw and protune at 2.7k blows away any 1080p action cam footage. Even at 1080p60 or 1440p30 its pretty darn impressive, the other cams are pretty close to a hero3 silver or hero2 but nothing is close to the black in pt and I dont expect it to be beaten until the hero4 or is that 3bs :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31