Bringing your Drone on a Plane

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wanted your input on what to do if I wanted to bring my drone with me on a plane when I go on vacation. Is there certain regulations I need to follow or papers I should print out to bring with me?

Thank you

I've carried mine to Florida twice on Southwest with no problems. Be ready for the TSA to screen you. They just want to look at it though. Have fun.

I figured it shouldn't be too much of a problem. My only thing is I'm going to the Dominican Republic so idk if there's any troubles with taking it there

Another aspect is HOW to bring it. I'm sure getting a hard-case is best, but its so expensive. I was thinking about getting one of those backpacks that has the hard foam in it, and then my backpack can be my carry-on. That way I'll have the convenience of the backpack all the time and also can use it for the plane flight. What do you guys do?

Another aspect is HOW to bring it. I'm sure getting a hard-case is best, but its so expensive. I was thinking about getting one of those backpacks that has the hard foam in it, and then my backpack can be my carry-on. That way I'll have the convenience of the backpack all the time and also can use it for the plane flight. What do you guys do?

John, those cases don't have to be expensive, if you don't mind foregoing name-brand. This is the one I use with my kit and it's fantastic: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produ...il&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ConfirmEmail

Even has a place for luggage locks, should you feel the need whilst in travel. I'm thinking of picking up a second one for all my accessories and growing battery collection.

EDIT: Forgot I had an early image of it before I loaded it down with batteries and such.
Drone_Case.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it shouldn't be too much of a problem. My only thing is I'm going to the Dominican Republic so idk if there's any troubles with taking it there

I would definitely Google / read up on policies specific to the DR - if there are any. I noticed a policy last fall for example, that Peru started confiscating them at customs (outside of those with official permission).

http://goprofessionalcases.com/gpc-dji-phantom-3-backpack.html

Certainly not a cheap backpack, but everything fits inside (and more). The backpack fits in overhead carry-on, and great protection in the field.

John, those cases don't have to be expensive, if you don't mind foregoing name-brand. This is the one I use with my kit and it's fantastic: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produ...il&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ConfirmEmail

Even has a place for luggage locks, should you feel the need whilst in travel. I'm thinking of picking up a second one for all my accessories and growing battery collection.

EDIT: Forgot I had an early image of it before I loaded it down with batteries and such.
Drone_Case.jpg

That looks great, and is cheap! So just to be clear, you cut it to fit on your own? How would the case hold up as checked luggage do you think?

That looks great, and is cheap! So just to be clear, you cut it to fit on your own? How would the case hold up as checked luggage do you think?

Two layers of foam in the case are checkered for tearing, so it makes it SUPER easy. The last layer is solid and I had to hack that up a little bit. I didn't do the cleanest job, but it works.

As far as checked luggage, i would think it would fair great! It's extremely sturdy. I actually took it on a roadtrip to New York a few weekends ago. During the trip it fell out of the Tahoe at a fuel stop and bounced once on the concrete. I checked everything thoroughly and found no problems whatsoever. Granted, it may be a different story with a rambunctious luggage handler, but I'd guess it'll do just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers