Bringing my Phantom from UK to USA

Reaction score
Does anyone know if and how I must register my UK purchased P3A for use in the USA? Planning on holidaying CA this summer and want to stay the right side of the law.

The law seems to be set up for residents and doesn't cater for visitors that will be taking their machine home. Any opinion gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does anyone know if and how I must register my UK purchased P3A for use in the USA? Planning on holidaying CA this summer and want to stay the right side of the law.
The law seems to be set up for residents and doesn't cater for visitors that will be taking their machine home. Any opinion gratefully received.
Their system doesn't seem to be well set up for foreigners.
I have heard of some registering online using an anonymous proxy - not sure if that will still work.
About all they have on their website for your situation is Q60 here: UAS Registration Q&A
You could try asking with an email to the address at the bottom of that page.

Ah, good stuff. Hadn't spotted that. Will wait for the new system to roll out. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

From the current FAA FAQ on registration: UAS Registration Q&A

Q12. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for sUAS competitions required to register?

A. All sUAS are required to be registered prior to operating outdoors. Foreign nationals who want to operate in the U.S. may use the FAA's new online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive an identical certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents under the online registration platform. However, this certificate will function solely as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.
But, somewhat confusingly, from https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/media/UAS-Enforcement-FAQs.pdf

Q: Will a foreign citizen flying an unregistered drone in the US be subject to enforcement?
A: Yes. All UAS greater than 0.55 lbs being operated in the US must be registered or they will be subject to enforcement. If a foreign UAS is similarly registered in another country, it may be operated in the US provided the operator can present sufficient registration documentation.​

thanks alot:) so i am just going to register there. anyone know how it is on the airport and airplane?

thanks alot:) so i am just going to register there. anyone know how it is on the airport and airplane?
Maybe not. With the latest court ruling, the FAA is no longer supposed to require registration of 'hobby' fliers. Court decision goes into effect immediately.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj