Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Brightness on the new Nvidia Sheild K1

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by sbarton, Dec 18, 2015.

1. sbarton

How is the brightness on the Nvidia K1 Sheild? Good enough for outdoors in the summer sun?

Scott

2. FotoGeek

I think that has more to do with how reflective (anti-glare) the screen is, not brightness. In any case, I'd love an review of this also.

3. Dirby

it is difficult to see through this screen in bright sunlight.

4. NRJ

NRJ

In past laptops before the ultra clear laptop screens, some laptop manufacturers had "matte" finish screens to reduce glare. However, the clean clear screens won over the marketplace and is hard to find a matte finish screen today. The matte screen along with a sun shield may be a solution, but you may be hard pressed to find one. There possibly may be a matte finish spray (say at an art store) where it could be sprayed on a clear screen to make it matte or less reflective to gain this solution. I really don't know, but if someone had an old tablet or cell that they would want to experiment with, it may be worth a trip to the art store. But, I'm just saying and just putting it out there if anyone has any information on a matte finish type screen or if that would even be a solution. Speculation only.

5. Fat City

According to this review (scroll down to see the table), the Nvidia Shield's maximum brightness is 477 nits. This is brighter than average, but not as bright as the newer iPhones and still about 20% dimmer than the brightest device, the 2013 Nexus 7 with 583 nits. Since your eye perceives brightness on a logarithmic scale, the apparent difference will be less.

I've been using the Nexus 7 with a sunshade plus an Armor Tech "anti-reflective" screen protector and have been happy with the results.

KC4E and NRJ like this.
  6. NRJ

NRJ

This is great information, especially about the Nexus 7 and the Armor Tech "Anti-reflective" screen protector. Thanks Fat City.

7. Fplvert

8. NRJ

NRJ

Thanks Fplvert. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Cell phone which they do have screen protectors for. However, for my DJI Go app, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" tablet which appears they do not make a screen protector for. Would you or anyone have any other source for tablet screen protectors?

9. Fplvert

Here you go NRJ.:)
    Amazon.com: [3-Pack] SUPERSHIELDZ- Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector For Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook 7.0 + Lifetime Replacements Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

10. NRJ

NRJ

Fplvert likes this.
  11. Fplvert

No problem, I think you'll like the matte finish. It really does help in the sun and no more fingerprints!:cool:

12. Wacker2611

I had a Nexus 7 which I loved, however the Shield is in a different league. The screen is actually better in bright sunlight than the Nexus, even though it's technically not quite as bright. The colours and contrast are far superior which makes for a sharper image. Having said that, you're going to need a sunshade for any tablet in full sun. I'd heartily recommend a Hoodivision, they are the best available and work brilliantly with the Shield.

13. ferraript

I have to correct you - those 477 nits belong to Nvidia Shield portable. Nvidia Shield tablet has only 383 nits and that's really below average.
    I believe this device was made specifically for home gaming and not for outside use.

14. Wacker2611

With respect, not true. No tablet will be any good in full sun no matter how bright the screen is. I've used both the Nexus and Shield and the Shield definitely edges the Nexus. Not because of brightness, but contrast I think. The best one is still the Air2 for pure visibility. But again, in sunny conditions you're going to need a Hoodivision or similar anyway, so outright brightness doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

15. m0j0

Never had a problem with the Air2. You will need a sunshade in direct sunlight with any device.

16. NRJ

NRJ

The other factor involved is the eyesight of the person viewing the tablet, cell, or monitor. It's kind of like; Brightness is in the eyes of the beholder.

17. Reed L

On your Shield K1, you can go to Settings/ Display/ Color Management, then uncheck the box that says, "Global Tone Mapping", then you can change the Gamma/ Black Level/ Contrast/ Saturation/ and Temperature. Once outside just adjust it to where you like it the best.

I have made 2 profiles on my K1, 1 for playing games inside and another for running the P3 in bright sun. You can make as many profiles as needed to save all of your changes or you can just make the changes manually when you use it for flying.

Some of the K1 settings can only be made from the "Owner" Profile but the "Color Management" can be set for each profile individually.

mikesher, Nizar Ghosn, Jtrjr and 2 others like this.