Brighter better image on 32ch 7" BP?

Reaction score
I've got a GoPro Hero 4 Black hanging off an H3-3D gimbal, and being sent via an AVL58 to the 7" 32ch black pearl,
but even with the screen guard, and even on a dull day, I'm still having a lot of trouble getting any kind of real visible imagery on the screen.
I've set the screen to "bright" but it still seems way too dim, and very low image quality.

The image seems to be being sent from the GoPro, as there's no separate camera, and the GoPro is set to 1080 at 25fps.
Is this the best setting for it?
I'd happily sacrifice a little quality in the final videos to get better quality FPV. At the moment it's almost too poor quality to fly anything but big wide safe flights. I'd sure be worried to try high speed low altitude flights, or try to navigate through obstacles. The image just isn't good enough. The biggest issue seems to be the image being very dark. Is there a way to brighten the image sent a bit more than just by setting the BP to "bright"?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

The angle that which you view your monitor plays a big part in clear the video is. Turn the brightness down to 50% and raise the contrast up to 55% then play with the viewing angle.

I use my monitor as source to adjust the cameras view and align the shot. Other than that you need to keep it within line of sight.

The image quality being displayed isn't really something you can get around with this setup. You may be recording at 1080p, but you're not transmitting 1080p. I believe you'll need Lightbridge to have HD FPV.

To adjust the screen brightness on the Black Pearl, try setting it to custom and set the brightness manually. Though doing this too much just washes out the entire screen, so be careful.

Some users have reported that the rx-lcd5802 is brighter than the Black Pearl, although this was not my experience.

Do you use an IOSD-mini. This really is an essential compliment to the FPV video IMHO. Especially when the video starts breaking up, or goes really dark because you are turning past the sun.

Yep. iOSD and pretty sure it's mini.
Wow, I'd never expected you could get FPV at 1080. I'll have to look into Lightbridge, but I don't really mind the low resolution, just how dark the image can be at times. I imagine transmitting at 1080 would be either power hungry, or require some kind of fancier system than what came with my P2. As nice as it sounds to have that kind of quality live, I doubt I'll get to that any time soon.

Lightbridge (for full 1080p FPV transmission) is $2000.

Most of us just use the FPV feed for framing our shots and work with the HD files the gopro captures directly. Considering it's under $400 for a nice long range SD FPV solution, and $2000 does really nothing except upgrade your FPV feed to HD... not worth it :)

If your FPV image just isn't bright enough, that's likely a device thing. I have the RX-LCD5802 and I've used it plenty of times in full direct sunlight, just gotta crank the brightness all the way up

Most 7" monitors are not HD and most do not have more than 450cd of brightness. They are mainly used for framing video footage at best. The best viewing angle is directly in the center of the screen and viewing off center will only darken the screen no matter how much the brightness is increased.

I can think of a lot of things that $2000 would do to soup up this quad, that I'd consider way better value than adding Lightbridge. I'll save that for when I'm flying an S1000
My GoPro 4 black is set to take 1080 video, plus take a 12mp still shot every 5 seconds, so between those two, and then the stills extracted from the video if the specific stills weren't exactly the shot I want, I'm more than happy just to use my FPV to frame the shots approximately, and work with the media later. I sure don't need to have it to fly by. But it does mean I'm not likely to ever be able to do the really fancy dashing in and out of trees etc, if I can barely tell the difference between the tree, and the island it's growing on, in a very dark monitor.
I'll live with it for a bit longer. Often it seems to be just the camera's auto-adjustment to the light that makes it so dark, because if the sun is behind the quad, the vision is more than well enough lit.
Might have a look at the settings on the GoPro to see what auto settings it's using.

Thanks heaps for the replies and ideas. I'll play around with them all and see what I can do to improve things.

Ezookiel said:
I'll live with it for a bit longer. Often it seems to be just the camera's auto-adjustment to the light that makes it so dark, because if the sun is behind the quad, the vision is more than well enough lit.
Might have a look at the settings on the GoPro to see what auto settings it's using.

I hit this problem recently with my GoPro 3+ black and was suprised how dark the Black Pearl was when flying back on my return to homepoint - luckily I had an IOSD diamond to follow. I was flying about 30 degrees off from the sun and it was a bright but hazy day. I assumed it was the GoPro doing some light adjustment. However when I looked at the GoPro footage it seemed fine. It was not dark, but perhaps a change in signal caused by any light compensation was enough to trick the black pearl. It is just one of those things. When navigating I still have the IOSD and when photographing, shooting into the sun does not normally produce nice shots anyway.

Hughie said:
Ezookiel said:

I hit this problem recently with my GoPro 3+ black and was suprised how dark the Black Pearl was when flying back on my return to homepoint - luckily I had an IOSD diamond to follow. I was flying about 30 degrees off from the sun and it was a bright but hazy day. I assumed it was the GoPro doing some light adjustment. However when I looked at the GoPro footage it seemed fine. It was not dark, but perhaps a change in signal caused by any light compensation was enough to trick the black pearl. It is just one of those things. When navigating I still have the IOSD and when photographing, shooting into the sun does not normally produce nice shots anyway.

That your computer monitor and put a full screen youtube video on it. Now stand up and move around while watching the screen does it get lighter and do the colors fade and does the screen get darker if your below that screen. If your answer is yes that is exactly what is happening to the 7" monitor attached to your RC. This is not an uncommon problem with inexpensive monitors if you are not looking directly into the center of the screen. The other problem is keeping LOS on you craft and aligning the shot or tilting the camera at the same time. So of course you won't have the screen centered for the best view. So the question is is there a better solution?

Re: Brighter better image on 32ch 7" BP?

Really strangely I noticed yesterday that at a full speed flight away from myself, it was getting so dark as to be unable to see anything after about 500metres, but if I paused or slowed my outward bound speed, even just for a moment, it would come good, and I could continue. Sometimes panning the camera down then back up improves it too. Weird, but manageable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic