BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

They're insane. Have to be, to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

hey, I was young and fearless then. landing in a tree ended that hobby!
also rappelled from choppers into woods at night. Thank you uncle sam for that.
now that I think on it, you may be right.

wont even do ladders today!

Reactions: snerd
Mr. Mann, is Huerta going to need to step down now that his superior is doing in a month what has taken Heurta years and still hasn't done. Get these drones under control? I need to watch the video again, that seemed like my first impression. That and they seemed perturbed by the repeat questions and walked off mad leaving some perplexed guys standing on the stage.

Well whatever, how this plays out will be interesting. Phantoms and Phantom owners will be targets and be the smallest sized UAVs registered.

Reactions: JKDSensei
I bet this task force gets all this figured out in one month. The government is pretty effecient. (Rolling eyes)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No, only the responsible people will register. It's the unregistered ones that are causing most of the problems. It's like a domestic restraining order. The only ones who will abide by them are the ones you didn't need one from in the first place. If the person is really a threat, the restraining order will only make them madder, and it certainly won't stop them from coming after you! When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will fly them, and they still won't be able to find the pilots, as they will just build their own, as 90% of the RC guys have been doing over the last 50 years! This is a gross over reaction to justified concern over flying over airports, stadiums, and fires, but will do nothing to stop any of those actions.

This was the only post I needed to read in the whole thread. Well said and so true... Back to the sky's I go. Thank you GG

It will be a Federal Offense.. I will register mine
It sounds like they are pretty serious about this....I am too dam old to go to jail again and cant afford to have them confiscate my P3..seems easier to comply ,, they will probably make it so you can do it online
I honestly can't say that I yet know what I plan to do here. It seems that it will be awfully difficult to enforce the law.

My concern is really more about a slippery slope style argument... what happens if at some future time the government decides that it's "too risky" to allow people to continue with the hobby and then requires people to turn their equipment in? They have a nice pre-made list of people to go after, then. At that point I think I'd rather be one of the folks flying under the radar (yes, pun intended).

I honestly can't say that I yet know what I plan to do here. It seems that it will be awfully difficult to enforce the law.

My concern is really more about a slippery slope style argument... what happens if at some future time the government decides that it's "too risky" to allow people to continue with the hobby and then requires people to turn their equipment in? They have a nice pre-made list of people to go after, then. At that point I think I'd rather be one of the folks flying under the radar (yes, pun intended).

If they do that, I lost all my drones in a boating accident.

How is "registering" a drone purchase is going to do anything to stop, deter, or help catch anyone flying a drone in an unsafe manner? Any serial number can be removed before flight, assuming a serial number would survive a crash, and was registered to a specific person. When the bird is in the air, serial numbers cannot be determined from the gound. With a stock unmodded range of 1.2 to 2.8 miles for the P3P, any pilot who wishes to conceal their location during flight can easily do so. Assuming the pilot hasn't already left the area, are they going to do a house to house search within a 3 mile range of every sighting, looking for a registered owner pilot, and hoping for a confession? Bring it on! :p
So how about all of the illegal guns are they going to make the criminals bring them in for legal registration? All birds will have be registered since there are MORE bird strikes than our drone hitting an aircraft!

Exactly right, and they have been ineffective in enforcing the existing laws. We're still waiting for their air traffic control upgrade!

"Approach Control, who's next?"
image.jpeg

The pilot of this 210 "skillfully" landed gear up on the freeway because he "forgot" to switch tanks. He was not the owner of the plane and was not cited. However, a pickup allegedly clipped his wing in the dark and was cited for leaving the scene of an accident.

Steve I thought the FAA had a rule about mounting a weapon to an aircraft? Since sUAS are seen as aircraft isn't that where the issue came from?

Most states have laws against shooting from a vehicle, some it's from a moving vehicle. That said, there are plenty of organized feral hog hunts in TX, from Helo's.

Funny poster. If "she" was after me, yeah, I'd run. Looks like a cross between Leonard Nimoy and Dianne Feinstein.

Fear is not in and of itself a bad thing. It is wise to fear and avoid a sleeping grizzly for example.
It is a survival instinct to have a fear of falling is another. Sometimes "fear" can save your arse.
I think "valid concern" probably applies in this thread more than fear but of course, it's an opinion.

All this discussion led me to consider something else.......

If registration does become mandatory, would greatly increasing the areas where you cannot fly be MUCH easier?

A simple post on a website and millions of acres could be off limits permanently.
Registration often facilitates other measures.

Beaches, public places, homes, roads, cities....you name it. Once they have a mechanism in place for enforcement, I can see where your own back yard and "within the boundaries of designated" fields could become the only places to fly unless for legal, commercial purposes.

Again, is it not at least reasonable to "consider" these possibilities? I don't see this as fear or fear mongering, just discussion of reasonable possibilities.

Last edited:
Most states have laws against shooting from a vehicle, some it's from a moving vehicle. That said, there are plenty of organized feral hog hunts in TX, from Helo's.
Yep, I've seen the Forest Circus shoot coyotes from fixed wing and helicopters.

Funny poster. If "she" was after me, yeah, I'd run. Looks like a cross between Leonard Nimoy and Dianne Feinstein.

Fear is not in and of itself a bad thing. It is wise to fear and avoid a sleeping grizzly for example.
It is a survival instinct to have a fear of falling is another. Sometimes "fear" can save your arse.
I think "valid concern" probably applies in this thread more than fear but of course, it's an opinion.

All this discussion led me to consider something else.......

If registration does become mandatory, would greatly increasing the areas where you cannot fly be MUCH easier?

A simple post on a website and millions of acres could be off limits permanently.
Registration often facilitates other measures.

Beaches, public places, homes, roads, cities....you name it. Once they have a mechanism in place for enforcement, I can see where your own back yard and "within the boundaries of designated" fields could become the only places to fly unless for legal, commercial purposes.

Again, is it not at least reasonable to "consider" these possibilities? I don't see this as fear or fear mongering, just discussion of reasonable possibilities.

It's all about control, not safety. Nothing proposed prevents anything or fixes anything. Another means for gov't to collect money and interfere with your 'life, liberty and pursuit of happiness'.

This is just another goshdarn plan by the gubbermint to steal my stuff!

They already took all my guns, my car, my dog, my marriage, my newborn child, and all the fish I caught. No wait... They haven't taken any of that. Hmmm...

This is just another goshdarn plan by the gubbermint to steal my stuff!

They already took all my guns, my car, my dog, my marriage, my newborn child, and all the fish I caught. No wait... They haven't taken any of that. Hmmm...
Nope they haven't but they make money off everything you just said and that is all this is about . Freedom cost money and they want paid .

Right now (this could change) it costs around $20 with filing and N# etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav