Brave people who want antennas to boost FPV out of sight

Reaction score
I can't stand if I'm 1200 feet away and i lose sight of the phantom, it drives me nuts. I see lots of you want to double the range or triple the first person view range using all these new fangled antennas. I am **** about it..and need to see the drone flying in the sky at all times. I've seen some here flying it 1.2 miles away. Im not confident in the software to keep a connection with first person to be able to bring the phantom back or for that matter to bring it back with 40 per cent battery left. Im not willing to push the boundaries of this thing and chance losing it a mile away and at this point i don't have a gps tracker attached nor would i feel good trying to find it if it comes down that far away. So my question for those that want to push this thing to outer limits is aren't you concerned flying this out of sight so far away ?????

I do not mean to offend any of the DX'ers out there but this is hobby grade equipment and despite its sophistication it is prone to failure.

There is a 'rush' I guess with this extremely remote FPV activity but if you are not concerned then you are naive.

I see it this way; if my FPV equipment fails, I can always flip it into GPS mode, switch to Home Lock mode and fly it back that way, or I can also trigger failsafe. So there are some backup systems to fall back on.

For other systems that have a single point of failure, like an engine or battery, I also carry a GPS tracker so I can find the downed phantom afterward.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I, too, panic when I lose sight of it. I guess because I have so much invested in it.

I am one of those guys that has ordered some of the "new fangled" antenna and am anxiously waiting for their arrival. But, on the flip side I also have hard limits set on my Phantom to 300' AGL and 1500' distance max because I am old school RC and, like you, get very uncomfortable when I am unable to get my bearings visually.

My current set of antenna has let me bump my limits without too much snow, but what I am looking for in getting the enhanced set is better, stronger and more dependable video signal inside my personal limits.

If the opportunity ever presents itself for me to be flying over a dried up lake-bed 100 miles from anywhere I might just be inclined to remove my hard limits and see what's capable but for everyday flying my 300' AGL and 1500' distance restriction makes sure I don't give into temptation and keeps me honest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl