Brand new P2 with only 1 flight, 3 ESCs blown?

Reaction score
This is what i'm dealing with. Never had a crash

Only 1 motor seems to be functioning correctly. The only flight LEDs that are lighting up after I give the "start" command, are under the only operating motor.

My research here on the forums is that when you have a bad ESC, the LEDs won't light up. I am correct in my analysis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEtjWg0Pco

My motors did this after I over-tighened the prop guards :-(
It seems in my case it was just the motors and the ESC's survived

So...

At the risk of damaging an ESC... If you can swap the wires so that a working ESC powers the motor that's not working correctly, See if the "bad" motor then works, and then swap back and confirm the ESC is still working on the "good" motor,
It would prove whether its a motor or an ESC problem.
i.e if it doesnt work with the good ESC and the ESC still works (afterwards) on the "good" motor, then its definatly the motor.

Of course if its the motor that has blown the ESC then you could blow the ESC by trying this.

BTW. Do you get 4 beeps on startup to signify that all 4 ESC's claim to be OK?

It sure would have been nice if there was info about this before damage was done to the motors. Baring that, screws that wouldnt damage the motors. I'm kind of hitting a wall with the way this is made, personally. I guess it's a good thing I bought an extra set of motors a few months back.

Any luck on this issue along other fronts?

I am sending the unit back to the retailer i bought my P2 from for them to diagnose and replace the defected hardware. Should be done for free, so I'll let you know what the prognosis is once i hear back.

i can see how that is possible. I wish they had a quick disconnect for the prop guards so i dont have to buy a larger hard case for the P2

Austo87 said:
i can see how that is possible. I wish they had a quick disconnect for the prop guards so i dont have to buy a larger hard case for the P2
+1 to that.

Yeah, it sounds like bad wiring at the source of construction, aka: DJI Hong Kong.
Oh well, hopefully they should offer to replace it for free!

I'm a newbie to Phantoms. Just got mine last week and have flown it once. What is an ESC. The only thing I know is an ESC is a key just to the left of an F1 on my computer keyboard. I assume it is what powers and controls the motors. Just not familiar with that term.

Just as an addendum, from experience, those ESCs are so sensitive to static spikes. They blow very easily so be careful handling them.

Hopefully your retailer will cover that because DJI won't re prop guard changes. It clearly states in propguard kit, that using longer screws provided for guards should not be used when guards are not in use. (Prop guard screws are longer - they will short the motors out if used without the guards) Many of us have found that out the hard way and have had to replace motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1