Brand new craft, crazy shaking SOLVED

Reaction score
UPDATE: My issues are resolved. What happened was I swapped out the white dampers that came pre-installed on the H3-3D with the softest dampers, the 40*. This was causing the gimbal to move too much, due to the soft rubber, and thus causing the flight controller to compensate too fast for the weight shift / vibration.

landonkk pointed out that it could have been the difference in dampers. So I swapped out to the slightly stiffer dampers, the 50*'s, and also lowered the gains by 15% via Phantom Assistant per some info in this post http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10316&start=20 and now I'm in really great shape, and even with minimal GoPro rolling shutter ("jello"). Thanks everyone for the input!

OP:

Greetings all, I just joined this forum, looking to tap into some expertise!
I previously had a P2 with the 2D gimbal, but sold it for a P2 with the 3D gimbal. I just received it a few days ago from Dronefly.com.

However, I am noticing a crazy vibration / shaking in the craft. It is brand new, factory settings, never crashed. I have checked props for balance, and tried both sets of props that came with the craft. I am not sure what else I can try to fix the insane shaking. It does this in GPS, Attitude, and Manual modes. Firmware is up to date, compass has been calibrated, IMU has been calibrated.

https://vimeo.com/93681876
password: drone

Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Brand new craft, crazy shaking

Curious, are you using deafult/stock gains?

This is the 2nd time in a few days that I've seen someone post something like this

I'm assuming your motors and props are fairly well balanced?

Yep, I tried to cover most of that info in the OP. Although I must admit I am not sure how to check the motors for balance.
All settings are factory settings, and I ran all 8 props included in the box on my balancer. I have not modified them , but they were all very very close to balance. Certainly not off enough to cause this; I never balanced the props on my old P2 and it was very smooth, at least compared to this.

Gizmo3000 said:
Curious, are you using deafult/stock gains?

This is the 2nd time in a few days that I've seen someone post something like this

I'm assuming your motors and props are fairly well balanced?

take the props off,
power up everything and spin up the motors with out the props and only throttle up to 70% for less than 10 seconds at a time
and check to see if the craft vibrates with out the props.

Just did, no shaking or vibrations that I could see. No weird sounds. Put my hand around each arm and nothing weird.
Maybe I should try a prop at a time? Still doesn't rule out a software issue, or maybe even a speed control anomaly. I'm sure the electronics function differently under a real load.

KG4MXV said:
take the props off,
power up everything and spin up the motors with out the props and only throttle up to 70% for less than 10 seconds at a time

So I just tried a prop at a time, both black and both silver, on each motor. So both black props on both black motors, same with the silver. Everything felt and sounded the same across the board.

mattcrane said:
Just did, no shaking or vibrations that I could see. No weird sounds. Put my hand around each arm and nothing weird.
Maybe I should try a prop at a time? Still doesn't rule out a software issue, or maybe even a speed control anomaly. I'm sure the electronics function differently under a real load.

KG4MXV said:
take the props off,

Just read through some of that thread. I wonder if for some weird reason it is a weight thing, although this wouldn't explain why hundreds over other P2+3D gimbal combo owners are flying without issue. Tomorrow I could try flying without the gimbal attached just to see I guess, but I'd definitely like to keep the discussion going in case there is anything I could try.

I am unfamiliar with adjusting "gains" as I've read, although I don't know why DJI would ship with less than ideal factory programming already in place.

Gizmo3000 said:
Strange. but ironically I've been following another thread (cross posted your post to it already). where others have experienced the same kind of shaking

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10316&start=20

When I turned up my basic gains to 180 just for a baseline to start coming down from my phantom shook violently like the props were way out of balance. Freaked me out. Try turning down to 100 or 110 and see what happens.

Mine flies better with lower basic gains from the default and I have the HD-2D gimbal, ISOD mini, and 5.8 transmitter attached.

mattcrane said:
Greetings all, I just joined this forum, looking to tap into some expertise!
I previously had a P2 with the 2D gimbal, but sold it for a P2 with the 3D gimbal. I just received it a few days ago from Dronefly.com.

However, I am noticing a crazy vibration / shaking in the craft. It is brand new, factory settings, never crashed. I have checked props for balance, and tried both sets of props that came with the craft. I am not sure what else I can try to fix the insane shaking. It does this in GPS, Attitude, and Manual modes. Firmware is up to date, compass has been calibrated, IMU has been calibrated.

https://vimeo.com/93681876
password: drone

Any input would be appreciated!

People have seen this happening when using the soft black 50* dampening balls. I am assuming that you are using the installed "white" balls?

Good point. I never noticed when I used the white dampers; I swapped out to the 40* softies to try and minimize go pro jello. For what it's worth, even with the craft shaking like this, the jello is at a minimum with the 40* dampers. I can try swapping out to the 50's since they are a little stiffer and see what happens as well.

To follow up my previous post, I flew it this morning without the gimbal installed. Glass smooth. So its either a weight thing, or something about the soft dampers letting the gimbal move just a bit to much to cause the flight controller to compensate at too high a frequency.

landonkk said:
People have seen this happening when using the soft black 50* dampening balls. I am assuming that you are using the installed "white" balls?

Alright so looks like I'm in the best shape now. I swapped to the 50* dampers, which are slightly stiffer than the 40's but not as hard as the white / factory installed dampers. Adjusted all gains down 15% in Phantom Assistant 3.0, and just took a flight. Super smooth. No jello @ 24fps. Pretty happy!

mattcrane said:
Good point. I never noticed when I used the white dampers; I swapped out to the 40* softies to try and minimize go pro jello. For what it's worth, even with the craft shaking like this, the jello is at a minimum with the 40* dampers. I can try swapping out to the 50's since they are a little stiffer and see what happens as well.

To follow up my previous post, I flew it this morning without the gimbal installed. Glass smooth. So its either a weight thing, or something about the soft dampers letting the gimbal move just a bit to much to cause the flight controller to compensate at too high a frequency.

mattcrane said:
Alright so looks like I'm in the best shape now. I swapped to the 50* dampers, which are slightly stiffer than the 40's but not as hard as the white / factory installed dampers. Adjusted all gains down 15% in Phantom Assistant 3.0, and just took a flight. Super smooth. No jello @ 24fps. Pretty happy!

mattcrane said:

My P2 shook so bad with the 50's I was scared to even try the 40's. I also had bad jello - it seems to be a common problem on the new 3D gimbal (see my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13139 )

I had to add an ND filter to smooth out my jello issues.

I would try this. Disconnect the Gimbal power and try again. I m wondering if perhaps the gimbal is shaking the Phantom

Tom

tom3holer said:
I would try this. Disconnect the Gimbal power and try again. I m wondering if perhaps the gimbal is shaking the Phantom

Tom

That's usually what causes shaking. It's a feedback loop between gimbal and P2.

UPDATE: My issues are resolved. What happened was I swapped out the white dampers that came pre-installed on the H3-3D with the softest dampers, the 40*. This was causing the gimbal to move too much, due to the soft rubber, and thus causing the flight controller to compensate too fast for the weight shift / vibration.

landonkk pointed out that it could have been the difference in dampers. So I swapped out to the slightly stiffer dampers, the 50*'s, and also lowered the gains by 15% via Phantom Assistant per some info in this post http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10316&start=20 and now I'm in really great shape, and even with minimal GoPro rolling shutter ("jello"). Thanks everyone for the input!

I have updated the OP.

i would suggest flying the 9 inch props on your P2. the design of those blades are different then the 8's it could be your craft was built to have 9's and the 8 inters could be throwing it of... maybe worth a shot. :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl