Brace Yourselfs,..The Flight Restrictions Are FAST Approaching!!!

Reaction score
This is a article from today's Chicago Tribune. Seems like theres going to be a lot more flight restrictions than just airports,.Stadiums,.& Helipads. Now we can add entire Citys,.neighborhoods,.& even unicorperated Forest Preserves. The way things are progressing,.we won't have anywhere left to fly. The freedom of flight we have enjoyed here in the good old USA,.seems like it's coming to a end!!! :-(

Attachments

• 20160128_225314.jpg
    20160128_225314.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 511
Yeah pretty crazy. People are weirded out by them.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

This is a article from today's Chicago Tribune. Seems like theres going to be a lot more flight restrictions than just airports,.Stadiums,.& Helipads. Now we can add entire Citys,.neighborhoods,.& even unicorperated Forest Preserves. The way things are progressing,.we won't have anywhere left to fly. The freedom of flight we have enjoyed here in the good old USA,.seems like it's coming to a end!!! :-(

20160128_225344.jpg 20160128_225358.jpg 20160128_225447.jpg 20160128_225505.jpg 20160128_225513.jpg 20160128_225533.jpg 20160128_225539.jpg

crazy chicken.gif

Many of these type stories are opinion from the writer made to sell papers. The sky is not falling yet. Read the FAA rules as they are all you need to worry about in the air. Only the FAA regulates air space. Cities can regulate you by preventing you from taking off & landing in certain areas only, like say a park that has a no RC aircraft rule.

Yeah, this would all be disappointing if it were true. The reality will be that something like 80%+ of the air over the continental US will still be flyable by UAV owners.

The "freedom of flight" in the NAS is not a right, it is a privilege. When you combine the reckless/inexperienced operations by too many, with the fact that there may now be over one million UAVs capable of flying to air where there are human-occupied aircraft, it is not a surprise that policy makers want to get some kind of control over drones.

It is sad that there hasn't been a more pro-active approach to this problem. For example, in Delaware, where drone flying is forbidden in state parks, a local group of UAV enthusiasts worked with Brandywine Creek State Park to create a special event where flights within the park were permitted. Instead, I mostly witness whining and the knee-jerk "they will get my controller when they pry my cold, dead fingers off of it" reaction here and in other UAV forums. Let me know how that works out for you...

I, for one, am seriously thinking about approaching, in a constructive manner, the management at a major state or federal park here in Southern California to see if there is an opportunity to negotiate access based on the acceptance of a set of reasonable rules and restrictions. My first thought is to try at Joshua Tree National Park. It covers over 1,235 square miles (larger than the state of Rhode Island) and has a well-developed set of campgrounds. If you live in Southern California and would like to join this effort, let me know.

With all these flight restrictions affecting just about any public area,.we are VERY limited to where we can fly!!! You can't fly in your neighborhood soon,.you can't fly in your own yard,.& Now they won't even let you fly in the thousands of acres of unicorperated Forest preserve land that isn't even a state park. New technology can be frowned upon,.only because People arent used to it yet. It looks like they never will get used to it either,.cause the restrictions are already coming. Other than myself,.I haven't even seen anyone flying a drone. Seems like people are more intimidated by Drones than intrigued!!!

Many of these type stories are opinion from the writer made to sell papers. The sky is not falling yet.
Read the FAA rules as they are all you need to worry about in the air. Only the FAA regulates air space. Cities can regulate you by preventing you from taking off & landing in certain areas only, like say a park that has a no RC aircraft rule.
I sure hope you'remember right. The city of chicago will let you fly in their parks including Millennium Park & Grant Park. Two big parks that are in close proximity to the tall buildings in the city. You can only fly between the hours of 8am & 7pm. You also have to have permission from every stranger you fly over,.permitting you to do so. That rule seems ridiculous,.but if you don't abide by the city rules,.you risk being arrested,.a 5,000 dollar fine,.& Your Drone impounded.

I like to get away form all those obstacles & signal noise to a rural area (except for cell towers, it seems there is just no escaping them!). There are those shots where you can't avoid it but if you are just out for fun go where its open and less populated. No pesky people asking you questions while you are concentrating on flying. :D (actually I usually don't mind questions, give you a chance to educate some people)

I'm with you on that. Im just starting out with flying & have made only 3 Flights thus far. I have been reading all the posts on this forum for 3 months. I did that cause I new I wanted to by a phantom 3 pro,.but wanted to educate myself as much as possible with not just the drone,.but where they will be going into the future. I knew that restrictions would be enforced, ad they should in some areas,.but I did not expect the whole civilized world to be that misinformed about there actual use,.which for me is Arial Photography. I know there are some idiots out there flying with carelessness & disregard to restrictions,.but these few are giving is all,.a bad name. I have some property in southern indiana I plan on flying @ A lot. It's all open country with beautiful scenery. When the warm weather comes & my vacations from work start,.that's where i'd really like to fly. The cook county forest preserves near my house in Illionis..if they do in fact,.make them Drone free,.would be a real disappointment!!! Much of those woods you don't even see anyone,.but I wouldn't fly there of these restrictions are imposed. The last thing this realitivly new hobby needs,.is more people breaking these rules. The only thing we can expect then is more regulations & harsher penalties.

As the skies become more populated with UAV's there is a need for some control, lets just hope it doesn't snuff out the flame in the process. Something you may want to think about is possibly going to the county and talk to whoever is handling the proposed ban of the forest and talk to them and get a feel for their concerns. Maybe you can be a deciding factor in the outcome. People fear what they don't understand, this is where education goes a long way in changing peoples perception of "drones". :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie