Bouncing during take-off and landing.

Reaction score
Hey guys newbie is back with another question. Just got the new phantom 4 and whenever I take off or land the first few feet in altitude it starts bouncing up and down maybe a foot. Taking off isn't bad as if I just raise altitude to 10 feet or so fast it is fine but when trying to land softly it is really smooth then when I get about two feet from the ground it starts bouncing up and down. It even gets to the point when it is bouncing that I can hold all the way down and it just keeps bouncing then will eventually hit the ground a few times then land and shut the motors off. I had another phantom 4 that I could land all day smooth as can be so just trying to figure out why this one is so rough at low altitudes <3ft. Thank you in advance!!!

Jaxon Hi -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jaxon
Taking off isn't bad as if I just raise altitude to 10 feet or so fast it is fine but when trying to land softly it is really smooth then when I get about two feet from the ground it starts bouncing up and down.
Sounds like you have discovered ground effect.
When the Phantom is down low, the air that the props push down bounces back and you get turbulent air pushing upwards from the ground.
When you launch, don't baby it - kick it up to 10 feet quickly to get out of that turbulence and when you are landing, don't hang around in the turbulence either.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Sounds like you have discovered ground effect.
When the Phantom is down low, the air that the props push down bounces back and you get turbulent air pushing upwards from the ground.
When you launch, don't baby it - kick it up to 10 feet quickly to get out of that turbulence and when you are landing, don't hang around in the turbulence either.
That's the weird thing is when landing it gets to where about two foot I just have to hold all the way down on the stick and it will bounce two or three times then hit the ground kinda rough.

This is clearly not ground effect, other people would have reported these jumps. P4 does manage with/ temper cushion effect, I can feel the difference vs helicopter flight style.

Could it be the sensors on the bottom of the drone giving different readings and then the drone attempts to compensate?

The video above was really helpful. I never could get the bottom camera to calibrate (I think my priors had me pointing the gimbal camera down and not to the left, or maybe not using the external obstacle cameras in the right spot.). Front facing was okay, but bottom Ob.cam. fought me on another P4. This later one accepted the targets and I could get the red and blue boxes aligned (It was pretty close to the screen too!). Calibration completed and got the 100%.

I did notice the first vertical progress bar seemed more located to the top than the center on both horizontal and vertical camera sets. Calibration completed okay, but don't know why other than maybe centering, off from factory, or last firmware update. Don't know if that means it needs to be repeated or just accept it since it showed 100%?

Mack

If you want your p4 to last....hand catch....is the best. Unless you just like the challenge of landing, why risk a tip over, blade strike or bouncing the gimbal. Hand catch is the best... And use a neck strap for sure. Best advice I got

Reactions: JWH
Once you grab the bird keep throttle full down for few seconds, P4 will detect not being able to lower more and then will stop motors

If you hand catch and release expect to get cut. It is not if but when. I have no problem landing mine or taking off, and if given a choice between being cut and replacing a prop, I will replace the prop anytime.

Reactions: QuadBart
Hey just wanted to check in with you guys I followed the instructions to the video above and have had zero problems since then. Thanks again RemyHeli!!

Reactions: Nemmy and RémyHeli
If you hand catch and release expect to get cut. It is not if but when. I have no problem landing mine or taking off, and if given a choice between being cut and replacing a prop, I will replace the prop anytime.

I always hand catch and never had a problem. If you hold the bird still for a few seconds the motors stop and there is no chance of getting "cut". Not sure what you mean by "hand catch and release".

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Do not catch always grab a still drone that is stable just above your head. This way is the safest.

I hand catch all the time. I lower the drone until I can reach it and then hold it for a second or two then I chop the motors. This isn't rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

While its possible, if done correctly it's highly unlikely. The big difference is doing it wrong (cut) and doing it right (avoiding cut).

Hey guys newbie is back with another question. Just got the new phantom 4 and whenever I take off or land the first few feet in altitude it starts bouncing up and down maybe a foot. Taking off isn't bad as if I just raise altitude to 10 feet or so fast it is fine but when trying to land softly it is really smooth then when I get about two feet from the ground it starts bouncing up and down. It even gets to the point when it is bouncing that I can hold all the way down and it just keeps bouncing then will eventually hit the ground a few times then land and shut the motors off. I had another phantom 4 that I could land all day smooth as can be so just trying to figure out why this one is so rough at low altitudes <3ft. Thank you in advance!!!

Hi
I also discovered that Litchi allows me to turn off the sensor on the bottom.
After turning them off and then flying with the DJI Go app, the P4 did what you are describing.

After going back into Litchi and turning the sensors back on, the problem went away in the DJI Go.
Not sure if you were using Litchi, but it was a problem for me until I worked through the details.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers