Bought used - Stress cracks.

Reaction score
I've emailed DJI, but thought I'd ask here as to what you folks think I can expect.

I bought a used P3 Pro from a seller on ebay about 2 weeks ago, the seller indicated that he had flown it 2 times in his photography business. I ended up getting it for a fair price I think but I digress...

I examined it from tip to tip when I received it, and all looked perfect. Not so much as a scratch on it anywhere. After 4 VERY short familiarization flights it's developing some small cracks in the arms under the motor mounts (I can post pics if needed, but from all of the searching I've done they look identical to basically all of the ones I've found online by those with the same problem) Shining a light through them looks like I have the "old" style frame, with the square bracing inside).

I guess my question is twofold. Am I assuming correctly in thinking DJI won't warrant this bird since I'm the second owner. And 2, do these little reinforcement plates do any good at all to alleviate this issue? I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can offer with regard to this issue.

I do not know if DJI will honour a claim, I think not, but worth a try. These cracks usually only develop after a large number of flights, did you check the number of battery recharges to verify it had only flown twice. I say usually only develop after many flights, but I suspect someone will be along soon to say they had them after only a few flights.
If genuinely only a few flights, then you should argue your case strongly with DJI.

Even if no warranty coverage, you can replace the shell for $60 plus labor (yours or cost for someone else's)
Perhaps contact DJI ahead of time to see if there's a chance before comitted to $60 charge and shipping if you deny quote.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

These cracks usually only develop after a large number of flights, did you check the number of battery recharges to verify it had only flown twice.

I did't even realize that this was a thing until now, but I just checked it. It shows 5 charges, which pretty much jives with what he said, I've charged it a few times for my test flights, so prior to me getting it there were only one or two. I'm attaching a picture to this message, so far 2 of the arms have cracks in them, and pretty much both are identical to this one. It doesn't look that bad right now, but cracks aren't known for getting "better" on their own lol.

Attachments

• crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 440
I'm sure you have but make sure that is a crack and not scuff mark. The plastic is easily scuffed making it look like cracks. Cracks typically occur starting in the screw wells just in front of the motor screws.
Your cracks don't look too bad, probably they can be repaired and reinforced

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've emailed DJI, but thought I'd ask here as to what you folks think I can expect.

I bought a used P3 Pro from a seller on ebay about 2 weeks ago, the seller indicated that he had flown it 2 times in his photography business. I ended up getting it for a fair price I think but I digress...

I examined it from tip to tip when I received it, and all looked perfect. Not so much as a scratch on it anywhere. After 4 VERY short familiarization flights it's developing some small cracks in the arms under the motor mounts (I can post pics if needed, but from all of the searching I've done they look identical to basically all of the ones I've found online by those with the same problem) Shining a light through them looks like I have the "old" style frame, with the square bracing inside).

I guess my question is twofold. Am I assuming correctly in thinking DJI won't warrant this bird since I'm the second owner. And 2, do these little reinforcement plates do any good at all to alleviate this issue? I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can offer with regard to this issue.

i experienced it before , replaced the shell and install reinforced motor metal plat

8d0b04e3b594239148ed6f8fb265a6c9.jpg

Cheers,
feno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Look at the ones from UAV BITS. They work great . My next bird will have them on before I fly it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I totally agree with you, my next bird will also have them on before I fly. Not trying to **** on your phantom or anything like that, but the ones from UAV BITS look like **** and they're made from plastic. On the other hand you have Strong Arms from Infinity Hobby that are made out of aluminum and look really good on my P3P. The install is really easy and they fit perfectly. There are other companies out there that make Strong Arms, don't be fooled, the install is your lot harder and they don't fit right. Buy the ones from Infinite Hobby, u can find them on Amazon or on their website...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Open the UAV up and fill the ends with Plast-Aid. The stuff is seriously amazing. You won't need to worry about cracks after that. I've done it and then just use the part of detachable prop guards as an extra measure.

i experienced it before , replaced the shell and install reinforced motor metal plat

8d0b04e3b594239148ed6f8fb265a6c9.jpg

Cheers,
feno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The ones you see in this picture are NOT the ones from Infiniti Hobby. Those are made by a different company, not saying they don't work but the Strong Arms from Infinity are much better design and easier to install..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for all of the advice, I'm going to see what DJI says about it first, but if they won't fool with it (wouldn't blame them since it's second hand, but it would be nice) I'll try the plast-aid and reinforce option.

@DanMan32 I noticed that from all of the other pictures that I found as well, these are definitely small cracks as my fingernail catches in them, it does seem rather odd though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan