Bought my Phantom 4 from best Buy today...

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience to start, but glad your new one so far seems to be working out. I know technology is not without hiccups, but some people get super critical over the tiniest details (like the battery life, but the P3 doesn't get it's "specified up to" flight time either lol
Well, after my first two new P4 flights tonight, I now know why some are getting 25 minutes and some only 12 minutes per battery. With my first P4, I flew it with OAS turned off, and full throttle, to simulate the way I fly my P3P's. I got 16 minutes with mixed modes, 15 minutes in P mode, and then 12 minutes in all ATTI mode, all with OAS off. Tonight, with the new P4, I turned OAS on, which restricts speed to 22 mph in P and ATTI. I still lost RC at 2,500 feet, so the stock RC range still sucks big time, but I managed to get 25 minutes, flying an 800 foot radius POI at 22 mph until I landed at 9%.

On my second battery, I flew out until I lost signal in S mode at 2,500 feet in a different direction, flying at 45 mph. Flew around in S mode at full speed until the battery showed 10 minutes remaining, and switched back to P mode doing POI rotations at 22 mph. I got 20 minutes until autoland at 10% and hovered until 9%, and had one gimbal lockup, for a second, during the flight.

Obviously, 22 mph, which also happens to be the RTH speed, is the speed sweet spot on the P4, and is how DJI is getting their 28 minute slightly exaggerated battery life. I never got more than 18 minutes on my P3P rated at 23 minutes, so 25 minutes, when rated at 28 minutes, is close enough. The range I can fix with my GL300A FPVLR v2 RC. I do wish a P4 battery mod didn't require cracking open the shell, unlike the P3P.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost
So I have been drooling ever since the release of the P4. I loved the new features in theory, as I know that not everything is 100%, especially right out of the gate. I sat back and watched the early adopters buy theirs, complain about this, complain about that etc. And while I know DJI has had it's fair share of disappointments on early releases, and that there will inevitably be lemons in the mix (assembly line computers have failure rates too, for crying out loud... it's mass produced technology with tiny working electrical parts that are sensitive to many things, including being tossed around by a shipping carrier), but I have to say I am angry for listening to ALL the complainers.

I had one heck of a deal today at Best Buy. my mother in law gave me a $600 gift card to BB for helping them with their computers (I am an IT professional, network engineer and System Administrator for a Bank) all the time as well as the rest of their family when trouble arises. I tried NOT to take it, but gladly did in the end. In deciding what to do with my new found "extra" cash, I found that my local BB (I live in Southern Illinois, lots of rural farm area here...) had a P4 in stock, as well as 3DR Solo, Yuneec, etc etc etc... I currently have a P3 Advanced and a Standard, so my preference is DJI, and my experience with DJI has been a pleasant one, so naturally that is what I gravitated towards. They had a local promotion that if you buy any technology product with a new BB Credit Card, you get 15% off as well as I could choose 12 months at 0%... so i signed up and was awarded a BB card, I mean how could I pass this up? If I didn't like it I was even told I could bring it back in 15 days, no harm no foul.

Fast forward to the last couple hours... I updated Firmware, and charged the batteries... Calibrated the IMU and flew like a freaking champ! My only regret thus far is that I listened to the complaints and haven't purchased one sooner. What a great little machine, and I love my custom builds and my P3's mind you, but this thing is absolutely amazing, especially in sport mode!

If I could change one thing (so far) it would be the updating of the Firmware. I prefer the SD card method, but as far as I can tell, you must connect the P4 to your mobile device or a PC to install the firmware? That was a small hassle, but not terrible, and didn't take long.

Have others had similar success? Am I the only one? Have I completely created a redundant thread that will get deleted quickly? lol

Not that I would, but I would totally sell my P3's and just have this one if I had too... I won't, because I love my P3's and have them for specific purposes, but I would not be overly depressed if I had to keep only one, and I would choose this!

For those on the fence and who have the money, and are having troubles deciding.....don't let the negativity scare you away!!!!!

If you truly don't need the features included in the P4 that aren't on the P3, and you are trying to figure out what Multirotor to buy, then stick with a P3 Advanced, you can't go wrong there either, but if you can swing the $1399, by all means get t his puppy!

/rant

Which BB, Fairview Heights, Carbondale or Edwardsville?

Reactions: Mark C.
Haha - that makes me realize I have been spending way too much money at Best Buy. However they have never questioned a return I have made within the 45 day limit. I love BB - they match literally just about any price you can find and you don't get attacked by salesmen either.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Managers even have discretion to do returns for exchange after 45 days, as long as you are buying something more expensive, like upgrading from a P3P to a P4. :cool:

I have a buddy that's going to get the Typhoon H at the end of the month. They make good products just lack on optics in my opinion. Also can't get over the fact its so slow lol. But with the Intel realsense attached its going to be awesome for tracking. I Stoll want it one yo go with the P4
Don't know about this real sense, but like Intel, to be fair, active trac has worked awesome for me so far, and Obstacle avoidance has also been pretty reliable, it hasn't saved me yet, yet being the important word here lol

Reactions: Spidermonkey983
I have a buddy that's going to get the Typhoon H at the end of the month. They make good products just lack on optics in my opinion. Also can't get over the fact its so slow lol. But with the Intel realsense attached its going to be awesome for tracking. I Stoll want it one yo go with the P4
It's same speed as the P4, with all its sensors going, not sport mode of course, but I've been scared every time I put it in sport mode, even well above the treeline! Lol I suppose I'll get over that, weird thing is I'm coming off of RC planes, something about the quad or maybe the price?

Don't know about this real sense, but like Intel, to be fair, active trac has worked awesome for me so far, and Obstacle avoidance has also been pretty reliable, it hasn't saved me yet, yet being the important word here lol
The current OAS system is like an airbag if you didn't buckle your seatbelt. If you properly set your RTH altitude high enough for the terrain and obstacles on your route, and effectively use your FPV to look for upcoming unanticipated obstacles, the front facing OAS is completely unnecessary and redundant. The only real benefit I can find to OAS is that turning it on cripples the speed to 22 mph, which prolongs battery life, helping deliver close to the advertised 28 minute flight time. If you use Sport mode or turn off OAS, forget about getting anything over 20 minutes, and expect closer to 15 minutes. I previously only got 12 minutes in ATTI mode at full throttle with OAS off.

Reactions: snowghost
Which BB, Fairview Heights, Carbondale or Edwardsville?

The one in Carbondale. I am not sure if the "special" was supposed to apply to the Multirotors or not, but the person that helped me went ahead and put it on the P4.

Last edited:
It's same speed as the P4, with all its sensors going, not sport mode of course, but I've been scared every time I put it in sport mode, even well above the treeline! Lol I suppose I'll get over that, weird thing is I'm coming off of RC planes, something about the quad or maybe the price?

I know what you mean. I had to adjust my yaw sensitivity in sport mode lol. But it can really get hauling in sport mode!

Reactions: arcaine25
Cool that's where I got mine as well. Small world.

Extremely small world, I assume you live near? I live in Marion, and have been looking to find local people to fly with, and also trying to start a possible interest in racing 250 class quads. If interested in either, shoot me a PM!

Last edited:
I also bought my P4 from BB. Love it so far. My only complaint is that it drops in altitude (sometimes as much as 25%) whenever I come to a stop or take off from a standstill. It's annoying. My P3S did not do this at all. I assume it's the sensors on the bottom that cause this but it really seems like an issue, especially if you want to fly over water. Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

I also bought my P4 from BB. Love it so far. My only complaint is that it drops in altitude (sometimes as much as 25%) whenever I come to a stop or take off from a standstill. It's annoying. My P3S did not do this at all. I assume it's the sensors on the bottom that cause this but it really seems like an issue, especially if you want to fly over water. Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

I saw earlier that someone else was experiencing this issue, and it had to do with VPS and it being closer to the ground, and in a spot that is hard to read the terrain below the craft. if you fly up higher, does the problem go away? One thing to test is to turn Vision Positioning off and see if still happens.

It seems to happen no matter what altitude. I took it up to 50m and still had the problem where I'd decided about 10m upon acceleration.

Extremely small world, I assume you live near? I live in Marion, and have been looking to find local people to fly with, and also trying to start a possible interest in racing 250 class quads. If interested in either, shoot me a PM!

Murphysboro here!

For anyone who bout their P4 from Bestbuy, go get your taxes back from them. If you paid more than 1399.99 for the P4 then you should get a refund. They sell the P4 on eBay for $1399 with no sales tax, same day pickup. I talked to the customer service folks and got my $120 in taxes back.

Nice, born and raised in Murphy, live of course in Marion.. PM incoming!
Very small world indeed! I live in Seattle now but attend SIU and was born and raised in Gorham a small town West of Murphy along the Mississippi River. Cool to see so many from that area here. :)

Tonight, with the new P4, I turned OAS on, which restricts speed to 22 mph in P and ATTI. I still lost RC at 2,500 feet, so the stock RC range still sucks big time, but I managed to get 25 minutes, flying an 800 foot radius POI at 22 mph until I landed at 9%.

I mostly flew in OA mode when I first got mine and saw identical flight times to what you're seeing now. Probably why some off us thought you had a defective bird/batteries. I've since spent some more time in sport mode and experienced the insane battery draw that this thing is capable of and I definitely concur that the batt can tick down very quick. My guess is that the props & motors are optimally efficient at OA speeds. That being said, it's still nice to have both options available - ludicrous speed to get somewhere in a real hurry and lumbering speed to shoot the cinematic stuff.

Range has been a mixed bag at some of my shooting locations, I never seem to lose signal under a mile but the quality of the feed certainly varies from day to day in the same location. Have you seen better range than 2500ft with a windsurfer?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers