Bought a Phantom Standard!!

Reaction score
My first post and my first drone. Hi phantom pilots I recently purchased a Standard and love it so far!! I read on hear and watched many YouTube vids before I took the leap. I've had it for about 3 weeks maybe 5-6 flights and enjoy it. I told some friends at my job and showed them some footage I took and they too bit the bullet and purchased one themselves!! (2 more sold) I didn't upgrade the firmware yet ,just trying to get comfortable with flying 1st. One question though is worth updating the firmware I kinda like the old saying if it's not broke don't fix it!!

Congrats and welcome to Phantom Pilots :)

One question though is worth updating the firmware I kinda like the old saying if it's not broke don't fix it!!
I like the old saying "what goes up must come down". I run the latest firmware because I always want to ensure I'm using a firmware build with the latest available fixes.

I think any firmware on a brand new AC out of the box is potentially dangerous because there may very well be a critical error that can be easily fixed by upgrading the firmware.

OTOH, sometimes a new firmware will add something which you don't necessarily want. So, if you've been flying for a while with a firmware you're comfortable with, and new firmware becomes available, it is often wise to wait and see what others say about the new firmware before upgrading.

Reactions: Gmoney
people complain about the newest FW but I've had no issues just keep flying and enjoy your self . when you feel the need to start messing with your drone (mods) don't they are the ones with "fly away" issues.

Reactions: Gmoney
Thanks for the info guys.!! I don't plan on any mods but been thinking about the Argtek ant mod but that would be it. As far as updating I just do it from phone or tablet right? Do I have to hook up drone to computer also?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I too updated right out of box before first flight. No issues and 4700' max distance so far. Lovin it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app
That distance is awsome!! I've been 2100ft so far GPS was flashing low signal but my rc and WiFi was still full bars. I got cold feet and came back home. I'll try it again though.

Reactions: Storm
Thanks for the info guys.!! I don't plan on any mods but been thinking about the Argtek ant mod but that would be it. As far as updating I just do it from phone or tablet right? Do I have to hook up drone to computer also?

No its all done via the phone/tablet. Tx on, drone on, phone on. Can take a wee while, some people say to expect up to 30 minutes. Lots of squeeks and whistles as whirry noises as it updates. Your phone will initially be connected to tx and drone, then it disconnects to your home broadband to download the update, then reconnects to the tx and drone. Make a brew, have a cigarette and bite your nails. Afterwards you will wonder why all the fuss and worry.....fingers crossed.

I went out to 3400+ feet with my standard with great signal, but turned around and brought it back. I have read many reviews and decided to update my controller with the Itelite Antenna Mod. I haven't had a chance to max it out yet, but my signal is rock-solid out to the same 3400 feet at full signal. I would get the opinions of those more experienced on this forum in regards to which is better. My remote was still under warranty so I actually purchased a used controller on eBay for $50 and added the mod to it. It works great. I have seen people selling remotes with the Itelite mod already installed for $75 on eBay, so check it out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I went out to 3400+ feet with my standard with great signal, but turned around and brought it back. I have read many reviews and decided to update my controller with the Itelite Antenna Mod. I haven't had a chance to max it out yet, but my signal is rock-solid out to the same 3400 feet at full signal. I would get the opinions of those more experienced on this forum in regards to which is better. My remote was still under warranty so I actually purchased a used controller on eBay for $50 and added the mod to it. It works great. I have seen people selling remotes with the Itelite mod already installed for $75 on eBay, so check it out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Thanks I'll check into!! Didn't think about buying another controller to do the mod. I also bought a warranty with mine so this would help!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1