Boscam vs Immersion vs DJI AVL58 - Pros/Cons/Help?

Reaction score
There really are far too many choices in all of this... Given, I will be running 500-600mw 5.8GHz for video - beyond that, I'm freakin' lost.

I know antennas are the REAL big deal - but assuming the same antenna on each a/v system, is there REALLY a difference? Is it really just a Ford vs Chevy type thing?

I like that the AVL58 should be straight plug and play - BUT - you can get cables that make the others that way too.
I like that the AVL58 is in a nice tidy case that looks good on the bottom of the Phantom, but that case adds weight.
I like that the Boscam and Immersion (appear) to be less expensive, but many of the places I see them listed for sale make me wonder if that's actually the brand item I will get - then there's the deal of chasing down the right cables...

Good grief - Maybe I should just throw a dart at a dartboard and buy whatever I hit - because once I settle on the airborne parts to this puzzle, I'll go through the same thing with monitors and receivers... (kinda leaning toward Black Pearl - but I wish it were an 8 inch - of course the Phantom travel cases I've seen that have provisions for a monitor only go up to a 7")...

and I don't even want to think about antennas just yet - LOL

Gonna go pull out what's left of my hair now.

Sounds like you need someone to decide for you.
No buts now, this is what you want. Trust me, I know, you don't.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17856#p164334

But to be serious: man up. You are having some serious first world problems here on what fpv to get and why this or that does not suit you needs.

If you can't solder and don't know anyone who can - just get the avl58 setup. Otherwise get whatever you fancy more. Or order a pre-setup kit if money is not an issue. You like BP? Get the BP etc.

And go read the FPV section of this forum. It actually has information you need if you bother to spend time. It just sounds like you can't be bothered to scan for all the relevant threads here and we end up creating new duplicates.

One thing that I feel here is that no one else can make the decision for you. Google it, read/watch reviews, decide yourself. Go to a local drone shop if possible etc. You obviously have read, know the pros/cons of the stuff, but you need someone to roll the dice and tell you what to choose.

Thats not how a happy new FPV pilot is created. Trust your guts.

Learn to solder. There are numerous YouTube videos to show you how. It's easier than you think. No sense spending more $$ on special hubs and wiring harnesses just to connect 4 or 5 little wires.

I'm not worried about soldering - I was just trying to find the differences in the different brands... assuming someone has had more than one brand and has real world experience/comparison. Oh, and I needed to vent a little after all the reading that I HAVE been doing.

rctoyguy said:
Oh, and I needed to vent a little after all the reading that I HAVE been doing.

I hear you. I read and read and then read some more before I pulled the trigger. One day I was sold on Boscam and the next IRC. I never really found anything doing a head to head comparison and I doubt there's that much difference anyway. I never really considered the DJI. I thought it was little over priced. I ended up going with the Boscam 400mw and it has worked fine for me. I even went out to 1600m with the stock antennas. I think you'll be happy with any of the three.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj