Boscam TS353 + Black Pearl Diversity: Only 100M

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm flying a Phantom 2 (Non-Vision) with GoPro3, iOSD Mini, Boscam TS353, IBCrazy Helix Antennas and a Black Pearl Monitor. I basically followed Skypixel.org 's FPV set-up posts.

I've got everything working, but I'm only getting 100M before massive static. From what I've read, some people are getting 8 times that. Help me understand what I'm missing...

The Boscam is set to freq 5945 and the Black Pearl is set to Band E, Channel 8 (or freq 5945). The antennas are tight, and the one on the Tx side is pointed straight down.

Should I find a different freq? If so, is there a way to tell what will work in a certain area/part of the world better than other freqs? Or do I just have to go through them one-by-one...

Also, we are flying off a small boat in the middle of a fairly large bay, so line of sight is always there. We are near a small city, La Paz, BCS, so maybe we are getting interference from the cell towers there. But the closest towers are at least a mile away...

Its the directional dishes that put out a strong signal in a direct line that if you fly into the 'beam' you can lose control. It matters not, apparently, how close you are to the tower. This info is from another post here that duplicated the flight path to prove it. I know nothing about cell tower signals, I just build it into my site risk assessment.

Do the antenna fittings match ok? SMA etc A mismatch means you are effectivly flying without antennas.

according to the transmitter wattage chart that floats around here, channel 8 on the TS353 is the weakest channel by about 100mW. certainly not enough to explain performance as bad as you describe, but channel 1 is the strongest.

Generally speaking, the receiver isn't a deciding factor. It's likely the antennas or transmitter. If you've ever accidentally (or intentionally) fired up the transmitter with no antenna attached, that will burn out a transmitter super quick. Assuming your transmitter is fine, all that's left is the antennas. like Irish said it is possible to get an antenna that screws on but doesn't actually make contact properly (which btw effectively yields the "no antenna attached" issue). Boscam transmitters have a RP-SMA female connector, therefore need an RP-SMA Male connector on the antenna. reference: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22736 use the reference link to double check all your connectors.

I also was checking out your link, how long are those antennas? they look like they could be short, is the transmit antenna enough to hang down well below the Phantom like to the bottom of the legs or more? It may simply be being blocked by something.

What orientation is your video transmitter in? Could you take a picture from the rear/bottom of your Phantom so we can see the transmitter and how the antenna hangs?

NM. I'm a ****.

Remember when I said that the Boscam was definitely set to freq 5945? It wasn't. Few tips in case anyone finds this through search:

1. The instructions that come with the Boscam ts353 have a diagram for the freq settings. The black squares signify the positions of the white posts on the board. Otherwise it is set backwards.

2. This thread has wattage charts that QYV (thanks!) is talking about. Not sure how many units they tested, and if mine will follow suit, but channel 4 is very strong so far.

Thank you guys for your help! I'll go for a flight at sunset and see if these changes have helped.

PS These problems led me over to the FPVLab forums. If you want to take a trip down a nerd rabbit-hole, that is your place. I was up till midnight reading stuff on there, and I'm pretty sure I understood nothing. Fun though.

Alright. With channel 4 I got to 505 meters. Definitely an improvement, and I'm happy, but I still have work to do.

I have the correct adapter on my tx antenna, and the rx antenna is good without one. According to the charts, I believe I have the strongest freq/channel. The antenna hangs just below the legs of the landing gear.

I would love to at least double the distance I have now. I feel restricted with my filming in this range. Any opinions on my next step? Start twisting video cables and buying ferrite? I'll try some new freq's tomorrow.

Some pics for QYV attached. Sorry for the crap quality. I can shoot again if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 644
no those are good... your antenna is in a good spot. no matter what the P2's orientation you should get some signal.
You want more range, basically you have 2 places to go, 1 a better antenna on the receiver and/or 2 a stronger transmitter. Both around about the same price
1) adding a helix (directional) antenna on the receiver should really improve FPV range.
This is the helix that I and everyone else with the FPVLR kit has, you can use it with basically any frequency in our band. Double check your connectors and make sure you order the proper connector, SMA Male or RP-SMA Male. Use the "antenna connector reference" stickythread if you need to

If you want to get a little crazy, for $5 more you can get an even bigger helix but you have to specify and it works best on 1 exact frequency... so you just need to know you're not going to change frequencies. again, double check connectors

2) I think a helix antenna will do what you want but if you decide you need more transmit power you can always go to a TS352. The plugs are identical so you can easily swap it out without even opening the Phantom. It's listed as a 500mW transmitter and admittedly it does burn a lot more power than the TS353 but as you see on that chart it supposedly outputs 1000mW on some channels.

honestly first I'd go with the helix antenna I think that will really increase your range more than just swapping out transmitters and using the same antennas

Thanks QYV! Yes, I have been looking at the helix's the last few days and think that is the ticket going foward.

I just took out the copter and by placing the FPV antenna closer to the center axis, away from the compass and control Rx and sticking out slightly past the battery, I got to 700 meters before my monitor power started to go flat on me. I think I could have got a bit farther.

Until I can get that Helix, my new plan is to clean up the all the wiring for the FPV and really focus on keeping the FPV Tx signal wires and antenna away from control Rx and power lines.

Thanks for everybody's help. Cool forum.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub