Boscam, questions about antennas & range

QYV

Reaction score
OK so I put together a cheapo Boscam setup with a TS351 and the RX-LCD5802 receiver that everyone else gets when going this route. The part of this equation I'm weakest on is antennas and orientation, wondering if someone can give some advice: I only get about 20 meters or so before I start getting "interference" on the display, but fiddling with the orientation of the antenna (on the vRx) can make it flawless, so it's obvious it's about antenna orientation... what I'm not clear on is what I could do to make it better.

I got these antennas, both with right angle connectors:
4 leaf amnidirectional antenna for receiver
3 leaf omnidirectional antenna for Transmitter

so on my Phantom, it winds up looking like this
IMG_20140519_000825.jpg

does it matter exactly what orientation that antenna is in? when I point it straight down it's actually longer than the legs so I have to cocked slightly to one side like the picture shows.

on the receiver I basically have the same thing only it's a 4 leaf. I noticed that a few of the antenna loops aren't actually attached to the core but they look like they were soldered on at one point... I'll try to get a better picture of that but should there not be any loose pieces of the antenna? does that matter? I could easily solder them back connected.

Should I not have gone with a 90 degree connector on the Tx? would it work better if it were pointing straight out the back?

again, it's not that the system isn't functioning it's just that it seems SUPER sensitive to antenna orientation and I want to make sure I set them up for ideal performance. I also acknowledge that these are cheap antennas and I might wind up buying a different set but I'm not crystal clear on this left-hand / right-hand polarization thing... I'm trying to research that currently

QYV said:
OK so I put together a cheapo Boscam setup with a TS351 and the RX-LCD5802 receiver that everyone else gets when going this route. The part of this equation I'm weakest on is antennas and orientation, wondering if someone can give some advice: I only get about 20 meters or so before I start getting "interference" on the display, but fiddling with the orientation of the antenna (on the vRx) can make it flawless, so it's obvious it's about antenna orientation... what I'm not clear on is what I could do to make it better.

I got these antennas, both with right angle connectors:
4 leaf amnidirectional antenna for receiver
3 leaf omnidirectional antenna for Transmitter

so on my Phantom, it winds up looking like this
IMG_20140519_000825.jpg

does it matter exactly what orientation that antenna is in? when I point it straight down it's actually longer than the legs so I have to cocked slightly to one side like the picture shows.

on the receiver I basically have the same thing only it's a 4 leaf. I noticed that a few of the antenna loops aren't actually attached to the core but they look like they were soldered on at one point... I'll try to get a better picture of that but should there not be any loose pieces of the antenna? does that matter? I could easily solder them back connected.

Should I not have gone with a 90 degree connector on the Tx? would it work better if it were pointing straight out the back?

again, it's not that the system isn't functioning it's just that it seems SUPER sensitive to antenna orientation and I want to make sure I set them up for ideal performance. I also acknowledge that these are cheap antennas and I might wind up buying a different set but I'm not crystal clear on this left-hand / right-hand polarization thing... I'm trying to research that currently

First... check the channel chart on the Tx and the Rx... I found that the autoscan of the boscam 5802 sucks! It doesn't find the best channel.

Second... the antennas are most important here after you tune into the best channel. Try all the channels. Right hand vs Left hand ... it doesn't matter except that the Tx and Rx must both be same. As far as mounting orientation... The way you have it mounted on the Phantom is just fine.

For antenna choice I would go RHP (more choices it seems). On the Phantom do a fpvlr.com pinwheel antenna or the IBcrazy.

For the Boscam 5802 DEFINATELY do a Helical. I use the Circular Wireless Helical.

I hate the Aspect ratio of the Boscam but I'm happy with range using the AVL-58 (boscam tech) and the 5802

thanks daddyo. I definitely know how to set up and find channels on my own... I set the switches on the vTx for channel 7 and then manually chose it on the LCD, that part is working fine although I've seen other people around here talking about preferred channels, I'm not sure why or how one channel would be better/worse than others but I do need to sit down and figure out what the default frequency is for 5.8g wifi, obviously don't want to choose one of those that's just asking for more interference.

I also noticed the aspect ratio thing but I don't mind I'm not trying to get an immersive FPV experience I just want to be able to see exactly where the gopro is pointed to get better video shots and it's already working great for that :)

hopefully somebody that knows about these antennas can advise if they are indeed "broken" and need re-soldering or not... like all the pictures I see of these kind of antennas they seem like all the loops are closed (unbroken)

I just got the same set of antenna and there are no broken welds, everything is connected.

I can't say they are stellar, but they are better than the stock antenna that comes with the gear. I have been looking around a lot and trying to figure out what I might like try next and the Spironet set seems to be promising. I have taken my setup out to about 400 meters and still had pretty good video but being new to FPV only seeing a little spec is worrisome so I chickened out and came back.

Killobite said:
I just got the same set of antenna and there are no broken welds, everything is connected.

I can't say they are stellar, but they are better than the stock antenna that comes with the gear. I have been looking around a lot and trying to figure out what I might like try next and the Spironet set seems to be promising. I have taken my setup out to about 400 meters and still had pretty good video but being new to FPV only seeing a little spec is worrisome so I chickened out and came back.

hey thanks for that mate... I think I'm going to solder them back and see how it acts. Indeed, a lot of people getting big range use those Spironets I might go there next.

regarding chickening out, check out one of my former posts here, in which I describe how to enable manual Failsafe and what it accomplishes. After you've tested it a few times and are comfortable that it works properly, it's quite a safety net that might put your mind more at ease

QYV said:
regarding chickening out, check out one of my former posts here, in which I describe how to enable manual Failsafe and what it accomplishes. After you've tested it a few times and are comfortable that it works properly, it's quite a safety net that might put your mind more at ease

Yeah, I know it works, have tested it a few times just to make sure but I have been flying fixed wing RC for so many years without FPV that when the screen goes dark I still like to at least have the potential to get a visual. I am sure as I get more than a few FPV flights under my belt I will go farther and farther but at the moment I think 400 Meters is about the extent of my comfort zone and concede I have some FPV manning-up to do. :)

this just gets weirder... when I turn my RC on the image goes from crystal clear to static-y, and I still can't go more than 10m or so without the image being totally unuseable. however if I touch either the RC remote or the Rx antenna, the image clears right up. I'm a little confused why my 2.4 Ghz RC would interfere at all with my 5.8Ghz video transmission or what touching the antennas does.

edit: been doing some research and the answer might be polarization. Apparently the P2 RC is LHCP and I'm pretty sure I just got cheapo RCHP antennas. I think this might explain why when I use the plan stock antennas on both the vTx and vRx (2) the image is much clearer.

I think I'm going to get some LCHP antennas from that fpvlr site and see how we do. thanks for that link

QYV said:
this just gets weirder... when I turn my RC on the image goes from crystal clear to static-y, and I still can't go more than 10m or so without the image being totally unuseable. however if I touch either the RC remote or the Rx antenna, the image clears right up. I'm a little confused why my 2.4 Ghz RC would interfere at all with my 5.8Ghz video transmission or what touching the antennas does.

edit: been doing some research and the answer might be polarization. Apparently the P2 RC is LHCP and I'm pretty sure I just got cheapo RCHP antennas. I think this might explain why when I use the plan stock antennas on both the vTx and vRx (2) the image is much clearer.

I think I'm going to get some LCHP antennas from that fpvlr site and see how we do. thanks for that link

They are just crappy antennae. I use the boscam system. No problems with RHCP. There is a science to antenna manufacturing Not just slap them together. The antenna could not be matched properly... maybe there is damage... leakage... but 5.8 and 2.4 work well together. Its evident when you touch the antenna... because your body is acting as an antenna. sounds stupid but try it with your car remote... see how far you an activate it... now put the remote under your chin... see how much further you can activate the remote.

And the antenna that is in the Phantom 2.4 are linear ... not RH or LH. If it's not a tuning issue it's most likely due to antenna. I actually had a bad spironet once.

wow thanks Tony well if the guy from the pro antenna site says so that's what I'll do but honestly resale value isn't a major concern for me. Appreciate the advice of course hey if you check back this evening: will sales mix and match male/female for me as needed on a bundle? I'd totally do that 110 bundle but I only see one male/female choice and I need both.

lol I'm actually old enough to remember rabbit ears on the TV and grabbing them being part of the antenna. There were other oddities, like why grabbing one OR the other in each case made it go away... whatever it's not important. Ima get those antennas and if that doesn't work a TX58-800 :)

in case anybody else knowledgeable circles through... I switched to channel 8 and put just the stock antennas that came with the Tx and Rx on and I'm having the exact same performance as with the other antennas... that is to say, it's crystal clear up close but once I get about 10-20 meters away it rapidly degrades into complete snow by 25 meters. Whether I orient the Tx antenna straight down, sideways, or diagonal it's the same. I have the 2 antennas on the Rx one vertical and one horizontal, or I tried both at opposite 45' angles.. same performance.

Granted I'm in an urban environment maybe it's just interference or too weak of a Tx? but still... why would upgraded antennas and normal crap antennas be exactly the same? on the other hand, I don't get terrible interference when I simply turn on the RC anymore so I guess that's a plus.

looking forward to those FPVLR antennas fingers crossed they do the trick

would having the power and signal cables inside the Phantom bundled right next to each other cause any problem? they definitely aren't shielded cables

QYV said:
in case anybody else knowledgeable circles through... I switched to channel 8 and put just the stock antennas that came with the Tx and Rx on and I'm having the exact same performance as with the other antennas... that is to say, it's crystal clear up close but once I get about 10-20 meters away it rapidly degrades into complete snow by 25 meters. Whether I orient the Tx antenna straight down, sideways, or diagonal it's the same. I have the 2 antennas on the Rx one vertical and one horizontal, or I tried both at opposite 45' angles.. same performance.

Granted I'm in an urban environment maybe it's just interference or too weak of a Tx? but still... why would upgraded antennas and normal crap antennas be exactly the same? on the other hand, I don't get terrible interference when I simply turn on the RC anymore so I guess that's a plus.

looking forward to those FPVLR antennas fingers crossed they do the trick

would having the power and signal cables inside the Phantom bundled right next to each other cause any problem? they definitely aren't shielded cables

had same setup and couldn't figure out why my ranged sucked and I had Fatsharks Spironet V1. They turned out to be bad. Just wait for FPVLR... he winds the antennae himself and tunes them himself so quality stuff. I hope you got a helical for your Rx because it makes a lot of difference too.

I've just installed a very similar setup: Boscam LCD5802 with Boscam TS353. Using the stock antennas I am only getting about 15m range before its unusable and using ones like this on both vTX and vRX: http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-3-Leaves-O ... 73560.html I am only getting like 20 metres too before it's unusable.

I was told this setup should get at least 1km - 2km but I can tell you it is falling well short of that. Can't even fly properly with it. Crystal clear up until 10 - 20m. Using channel 8 on the ts353 as it's the only channel that doesn't get interference with the stock DJI TX.

Joel_t said:
I've just installed a very similar setup: Boscam LCD5802 with Boscam TS353. Using the stock antennas I am only getting about 15m range before its unusable and using ones like this on both vTX and vRX: http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-3-Leaves-O ... 73560.html I am only getting like 20 metres too before it's unusable.

I was told this setup should get at least 1km - 2km but I can tell you it is falling well short of that. Can't even fly properly with it. Crystal clear up until 10 - 20m. Using channel 8 on the ts353 as it's the only channel that doesn't get interference with the stock DJI TX.

Use the charts and find the frequency and manually tune. The dji cloverleaf is left hand polar. I'm not sure where you live but if horizon antennae makes great antenna in UK for good price. I bought a pinwheel in USA from flvlr.com for the TX. And from circular wireless the helical antenna for the boscam. I can tell you there is a huge diffence when using this. I had same problem and immediately went to 1km range with no static both ways because of the helical. (And of course manually tuning rx)

Between these three I am sure you can make a good decision and can't go wrong. They all sell very nice quality antennae

d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:

Use the charts and find the frequency and manually tune. The dji cloverleaf is left hand polar. I'm not sure where you live but if horizon antennae makes great antenna in UK for good price. I bought a pinwheel in USA from flvlr.com for the TX. And from circular wireless the helical antenna for the boscam. I can tell you there is a huge diffence when using this. I had same problem and immediately went to 1km range with no static both ways because of the helical. (And of course manually tuning rx)

Between these three I am sure you can make a good decision and can't go wrong. They all sell very nice quality antennae

Thanks for the info. I'm in Australia so UK or US takes about the same time to get here. I like the look of the $110 bundle on the FPVLR.com site. Maybe I need to invest in one of those.

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:

Thanks for the info. I'm in Australia so UK or US takes about the same time to get here. I like the look of the $110 bundle on the FPVLR.com site. Maybe I need to invest in one of those.

I really like FPVLR.com 's antennae. I just crashed my phantom :( and he is sending me a new pinwheel. Once you get it you will notice a really big difference in the build quality. I am not sure what landing gear you are using but I would use the right angle and go straight down if you have extended legs ... that way the pinwheel is below the gimbal. if not... angle it back and get it as low as you can without touching the ground.

The guy knows his stuff... email him directly. Let him know exactly your issue and what you want to accomplish... you won't be disappointed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20