Books to Learn Drones

Reaction score
I need suggestions on books where I can learn about Drones. I want to understand what the different parts do such as flight controllers, GPS, FPV setup & iOSD. I also want to learn how to build a drone. I have flown RC Airplanes but have no experience with aerial photography and how to get the pictures transmitted back to the ground during flight.

I purchased a P2V ( to be delivered today) but I want to understand the purpose of all the parts so that I can build my own Drone someday from parts.

I guess I need to know how the rest of you learnt the hobby in addition to reading phantompilots.com.

Thanks

I've not found much in book form that is useful. I have read "Fascination Quadrocopter" by Roland Buchi - but it is theoretical in approach, rather out of date and not particularly well translated into English. A Kindle edition is available. R/C magazines carry some content which is relevant but you have to search for it.

I have learned a lot from this and other forums. And there is a HUGE amount of stuff on YouTube - including detailed how-to videos. These were actually the most useful sources of knowledge I found.

After a brief, unsuccessful (and quite expensive) diversion into the open source Arducopter system I came back to DJI - they make absolutely everything you need (except for R/C gear) to build a capable machine and (most of the time) it just works - for me anyway, others may have different experiences. I have now built three quads and a hexacopter. And the only parts of my Phantom which are still original are the frame and the ESCs. Basically, all the DJI components plug together though some basic soldering skills will be needed.

Books? What are these things you speak of. We have the internets.......pictures and all.

Thanks everyone! I have looked for books but nothing can beat Phantom Pilots & U-Tube.

Maybe you'd have better luck scouring the ArduPilot community, since it's an open platform and the users have to build their own crafts so they tinker at that level.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31