Boiler Flight Fail

Reaction score
Hello,

We have been trying some indoor flying. We filmed inside of a warehouse recently with some good results. I was asked to fly for visual inspection reasons inside of a 70ft tall steel boiler and it was a NO-GO. We flew in "Attitude Mode" and still no luck. The compass/GPS didn't like it unfortunately as it could not calibrate. Electro/magnetic interference.

Anyone aware of a work around? A patch or way to disable the fail safe mode enabling a pilot to fly fully manual/visual?

We are flying both the Phantom 3 Pro and Inspire I.

Thanks a lot!

Just saw this post.

On Wednesday (05/02/18) I flew inside a wall fired coal boiler with a P4P. 100% ATTI Mode with no GPS and the compass going bonkers.

My client had previously tried to self-perform this inspection and ended up crashing their drone and somehow it ended up in the bottom ash sluicer in the throat of the boiler (the throat wasn't 100% scaffolded)--so it was toast. Before their mishap, the only way to get their P3P to fly was to start it outside the boiler and with props turning, hand it through the man door. It wouldn't start engines within the boiler itself.

The P4P started up no problem but we were altitude restricted to ~ 100 ft so we couldn't shoot the superheater pendants. I believe that I have found a work around for that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is a link to part of the inspection.

I also think that I've found a workaround to the altitude restriction that may also allow me to perform the inspection without the client having to scaffold the boiler throat. I don't think that I would be able to get as close to the burners as I did in this video but it still should be good enough to justify their costs to hire me versus have to build scaffolding.

Have a great day and be safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.