Blurry still photos - but sharp video??

Reaction score
I have a P3S that I have been learning with and have noticed that the videos I shoot are noticeably sharper than still photos taken of the same subject during the same flight. My first suspicion was that this was due to some sort of vibration that the videos somehow smooth out, but I checked and this problem occurs even with 1/1000th shutter speed. Since it's stills only and video is sharp, it can't be focus. So, I'm at a loss.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix this!

I have a P3S that I have been learning with and have noticed that the videos I shoot are noticeably sharper than still photos taken of the same subject during the same flight. My first suspicion was that this was due to some sort of vibration that the videos somehow smooth out, but I checked and this problem occurs even with 1/1000th shutter speed. Since it's stills only and video is sharp, it can't be focus. So, I'm at a loss.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix this!

Can you post some examples of the photos that appear blurry? That would help use understand the problem.

-- Roger

Here is a screen shot off my PC showing the paused video (left) and the still (right). The video image is noticeably sharper.

DJI Comaparison.png

I think its the nature of the beast. I was never impressed with the pics either. If I view a pic about 2 feet away from my 65inch 4k tv, then it does have more detail than a video screen shot. But from a normal distance it looks very soft.

I would start by taking a photo with your drone outside on top of your car and position yourself in front of the camera and take a picture. How does it look? Should be pretty good. Remember it's 12mp so it can only look so good without any post work. My suggestions (based on 1mo of use)
  • Take all photos in RAW and then edit. I sometimes do the raw+jpg just so I can quickly post to instagram (but instagram is a set size where you'll never really see a bad photo unless up close).
  • Set a custom WB of maybe 5700k. This is my default. I used a 5100k setting for a while after a youtube photographer suggested but it's just a little too warm for me.
  • Wait a couple seconds after moving your drone before using the shutter button for the pictures. Also take note of how windy it is outside.
  • Don't use the drone for photos of anything really upclose. I think all drone photos should be at least 25yds+ from the subject. Otherwise you should be using a DSLR with a dedicated lens for your needs.
  • Capture the image you want from video...
  • Real Estate Portfolio showing off different styles of different homes here are some photo samples of some properties I took photos of (the property from across the lake was a DSLR photo. You can see they aren't the BEST but they serve their purpose. They are also exported for Web quality and not the best possible.

Just curious, We all know jpg is compressed, is raw like a tif, like on my digital camera?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik