Blurry/out of focus P3P photos

Reaction score
The photos from my P3P are consistently a tad blurry, out of focus. I have taken many photos in multiple conditions, sunny, cloudy, etc. I've used the AWB setting and followed some of the other posts on suggestions to no avail. The photos are always the slightest bit fuzzy compared to many of the photos I've seen posted here and other places. This happens during flying as well as when it is on still ground, taking vibration and movement out of the picture.

I've attached 2 samples, hopefully the level of detail is enough to illustrate this. These were taken on a mildly Sunny day with the sun behind the camera. The house photo illustrates it the best.

Any suggestions on improving this? I've seen some threads about sending it in for service which would be unfortunate. I'm just trying to determine if this is the same as every other P3P or if mine has something odd. I should note the video looks fantastic and I am satisfied with the quality.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DJI_0186 - Copy.JPG
    DJI_0186 - Copy.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 727
  • DJI_0206 - Copy.JPG
    DJI_0206 - Copy.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 742
The photos from my P3P are consistently a tad blurry, out of focus. I have taken many photos in multiple conditions, sunny, cloudy, etc. I've used the AWB setting and followed some of the other posts on suggestions to no avail. The photos are always the slightest bit fuzzy compared to many of the photos I've seen posted here and other places. This happens during flying as well as when it is on still ground, taking vibration and movement out of the picture.

I've attached 2 samples, hopefully the level of detail is enough to illustrate this. These were taken on a mildly Sunny day with the sun behind the camera. The house photo illustrates it the best.

Any suggestions on improving this? I've seen some threads about sending it in for service which would be unfortunate. I'm just trying to determine if this is the same as every other P3P or if mine has something odd. I should note the video looks fantastic and I am satisfied with the quality.

Thanks!

I'm no professional photographer, but they look pretty good to me..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Looks like shutter is too slow - remember, your "platform" is moving all the time. Take a photo with the P3 sitting on a stable surface and you can compare to see if that's the issue.

This might help you understand more.

Do most folks on here use manual vs. auto for stills? I use an iPad mini at full brightness with my P3P and I've found it difficult to use manual and accurately judge how a photo looks as it's being taken outside so I've been using auto and letting the camera decide. What looked good with manually configured setting outside flying look worse than auto mode.

I have set it on a table and taken shots indoors to take the movement factor out of the picture. I achieve pretty much the same results as when flying. One thing I do notice when it's on a stable surface is the camera seems to move ever so slightly on it's own, and I mean very slowly back and then forth just a tiny bit but enough to track if watching closely. Is this normal?

I'm no professional photographer, but they look pretty good to me..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

They look 'ok' when not viewed at full resolution or on a mobile device, but when viewed on a larger screen the blurriness of the photos is much easier to notice.

Do most folks on here use manual vs. auto for stills? I use an iPad mini at full brightness with my P3P
I can't speak for others but I set the camera up for conditions before I fly if I want the highest quality pictures. Also use and iPad with a shade. Yes, it's hard to see at times but it just depends on what you want. A lot of times I just fly and shoot - but when I want quality - I take time to set the camera up properly.

Upon further review, it appears that there is blurring in the same spots of every image and video. It appears to happen on the left 3/4 or so side of the image/video. The right side is clear. I see that folks have taken off the camera back and adjusted the screws to correct this type of issue but I can't say I'm excited about opening mine up. Nor sending it for repair. But it sounds like those may be my 2 only options if I want to correct the quality degradation.

Also, this can be seen in both pictures, and specifically in the house with snow on the grass picture, if you look (at full res) at the snow on the ground where it meets the grass, and compare the clarity of the snow edge on the grass on the right side of the photo to the majority of the middle to left side. It becomes noticeably blurrier from right to left. Same in the higher photo, comparing the snow clarity right to left.

It sounds like the sensor screws do need adjustment as you mentioned. There is loads on here and YouTube regarding how to go about that.. please let me know you get on.. I have a similar issue. Video is perfectly clear throughout the entire frame. But still photos are noticeably blurry. But prior to various firmware updates it was fine.. I think the 'screw fix' will not however solve my issue... but if you get on well I might brave it...

It sounds like the sensor screws do need adjustment as you mentioned. There is loads on here and YouTube regarding how to go about that.. please let me know you get on.. I have a similar issue. Video is perfectly clear throughout the entire frame. But still are noticeably blurry. But prior to various firmware updates it was fine.. I think the 'screw fix' will not however solve my issue... but if you get on well I might brave it...

I just contacted DJI support and was advised to calibrate the gimbal, compass and IMU outside and confirm that doesn't correct the issue, which I will do today. Assuming it doesn't resolve it, I may think about sending it in for repair. While I don't like the idea of sending an almost new unit for repair, if I attempted the sensor board adjustment myself and either damage something or don't correct the issue, I don't like the potential of invalidating the warranty. If I were out of warranty it would be a different story.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj