Blur/Focus problem in images? How to easily fix it on the P3 Advanced

Is see also this new thread: Changing the camera lens?

There is a video by the lens manufacture that show the disassembly of the lens for replacement.
So you can see if it is risky.

I would like to add my comment on this thread to confirm that I had to do the same thing for my brand new P3P. Initially I tested only the 4K video which looked okay but difficult to gauge due to the crappy compression. Yesterday I flew a test flight for photos and discovered to my horror that the images were pretty soft on the whole right side. After a typically frustrating chat with DJI support ("What firmware are you using?" sort of questions.) They agreed to repair it with a 3-4 week round trip!

Well I just can't do that as I have a commitment in two weeks. So I watched the lens change video above, and discovered that it is pretty easy to fiddle with the sensor mount to adjust the focus.

Here's some more info to help anyone who thinks they need to do this.

1) You con't need to take anything apart except the back panel, and that can be done (very carefully!) with the drone intact, which is really helpful in testing.

2) You will need a T-6 Torx driver, preferably one with a relatively long shaft. And also a very small philips screwdriver, I used a PH000 but a PH00 or PH0 is probably better.

3) Take the back panel off in a very clean location so you don't lose the screws. They are fixed in with blue Loctite but mine came out pretty easily. You can leave the back panel off with the screws in a safe place like a dish.

4) I took mine outside, barely loosened the four circuit board mount screws (like one full turn each) and turned everything on, set the drone on a table, and took a test shot of my backyard with lots of details to see focus. I previewed it full size on my iPad to see how bad each area was.

5) Very carefully, thinking in opposites (left is right, up is down) I tightened the screws a very small amount and took test shots until each corner was in focus. I turned the drone off and removed the battery in between shots just to be sure there was no power in the system to arc circuit the board if I touched anything. I guess technically this should be done with anti static protection but I wasn't concerned about static here with decent humidity.

6) Tightening the screws moves the focus away from the camera (farther away), loosening them moves the focus closer to the camera. That's just optics.

7) Even after adjusting everything, I find that one corner is still not perfectly in plane and the focus distance is slightly but not critically far. Most images and video will be farther than a few meters and it gets to be a little soft in that corner at +/- two meters and closer. The movements really are microscopic, and that corner was already loose and would not move any farther from the lens without additional disassembly. I suppose I could add a micro shim to it but I didn't want to take it all apart and really give myself a headache or even risk hosing the whole thing.

8) The whole process took me about two hours of fiddling very carefully. If I had to do it again it might only take 30 minutes in a pinch, but I would still want to go slowly and methodically anyway. The movements are so tiny as to be invisible, it's just variable tightness of the screws over maybe a half to full turn range. Barely a fraction of a millimeter of total sensor movement.

In any case, my takeaway from this is that DJI considers this to be an acceptable manufacturing method for all of their drones, saving about a dollar per unit and creating a pretty consistent failure rate from what I can tell reading online. They probably consider it cheaper to replace the camera occasionally when someone gets a bad one and actually complains. It really is a piss-poor way to put things together, but options are pretty thin for this kind of tool, so for now I'll have to consider it a normal business risk.

Given the need, the camera could probably be rebuilt by someone with careful methodology and a clean environment to get the sharpest possible image.

The video above is really helpful in seeing the insides of the unit. Again, I discovered that adjusting the sensor distance only requires removal of the back panel, and leaving everything on the drone makes it easier to shoot/preview/adjust as needed. Just be extremely careful as you handle the gimbal and camera, and try to be as clean as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marius De Kock
HELP Please

I make the mistake of sending my P3A drone to DJI for blurry images - can anyone suggest a solution?

I contacted DJI to ask if they could resolve the problem I was having that the right side of my images are blurry. By email, I was told to do a series of things, like make sure the firmware was updated and so on, that had no effect on image quality. After three days of this back and forth DJI sent me an RMA and I returned the drone.

A week later DJI said they received my drone and sent me a proposed invoice to replace the main control board because the drone had been involved in a crash on its last flight.

I contacted DJI by phone and spoke with someone in the Philippines. I explained that the repair invoice I received must have been for someone else's drone because I did not have any crash and had returned my drone because images were blurry. Would it be possible, I asked, to have the technician look at my drone again and let me know what if anything could be done to fix the blurry images?

I was told that DJI would get back to me in 24 hours. That came and went and I placed the call again. This time I was told that it would be 24 to 48 hours before I got any response. Still no response. In the meantime, I emailed DJI twice. Still no response at all. There seems to be a wall around the folks in LA that actually work on the drone and the people I reach on the DJI customer support number who seem to be in South East Asia or beyond.

Any suggestions as to how I can get DJI to move on this and address the problem with my drone rather than someone else's?

my takeaway from this is that DJI considers this to be an acceptable manufacturing method

Interesting video. I replaced the stock lens some time ago on my tiny Hubsan FPV quad to a wider angle one and it's interesting (and disappointing) to see that the phantom camera optics (despite costing $$$ more) are put together the same (low precision) way.

The thing that I would suggest is to use a dab of hot glue or some removable adhesive to secure the lens, otherwise it will eventually defocus with all the vibrations.

i had the smae problem and tryed to fix. I did center the focus but now I have focus only in the center

what is wrong ?
is this related to screws?? should they be tight or soft?

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

the center looks o but center to edge is completely blured

ok, I made some adjuments and it looks better, I do think I am centered .
how ever my edge still soft.
what do you guys think

is this related to screws?? should they be tight or soft?

Attachments

• sharp_b_1.JPG
    sharp_b_1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 608
  • sharp_b_2.JPG
    sharp_b_2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 516
  • sharp_b_3.JPG
    sharp_b_3.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 595
  • sharp_b_4.JPG
    sharp_b_4.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 519
  • sharp_b_5.JPG
    sharp_b_5.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 577
  • sharp_b_6.JPG
    sharp_b_6.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 591
  • sharp_b_7.JPG
    sharp_b_7.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Just my gut feel is - yes, all screws should be firm- not over torqued but firmly and EVENLY tight.

Just my gut feel is - yes, all screws should be firm- not over torqued but firmly and EVENLY tight.
i spent 2 days working on it, thats includung searching for the littel screw on my floor
only the find it on the table 5 hours later.

plus i preaty much ruind thd screws completly.

so i am not sure i will do it again

that if j can locat a new set of screws.
do you guys havd a clue were can i find this screw set?
i have phantom screw set and can not see it included.

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

Thanks alot. This certainly improved my situation for my P3P. Only the far left of my image was in focus before, now focus is 3/4 of the way across the frame - not 100% fixed but much better. This makes the camera at least useable for video (with the lower shutter speed at 1/60 with ND and the motion blur, you really don't notice the issue. For photo, the photos are aleast now useable on the web, I wouldnt want to try to print a large image from this camera. But given I bought it used, it will work until I can upgrade to a S1000 with DSLR attached. Again, many thanks!!!

Just had my dealer change the camera with the main board. I am nearly certain my old camera was far sharper than this. Can you let me know if you think the images are ok for focus.

Attachments

• houses.jpg
    houses.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 672
  • DJI_0012.JPG
    DJI_0012.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 695
  • DJI_0010.JPG
    DJI_0010.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 679
Just had my dealer change the camera with the main board. I am nearly certain my old camera was far sharper than this. Can you let me know if you think the images are ok for focus.
Pretty good for a mobile phone sensor with a cheap lens seemingly less than presicely installed in most cases. What is interesting is that the test chart exhibits apparently higher sharpness than the houses. It might be that the lens assay needs rotating slightly to obtain infinity focus. From the images it seems fairly typical of how these cameras perform. I would fly and enjoy getting some real world images and be less critical. It will never match an M43 or DSLR system, probably wont reach the IQ of an Iphone 7 or other current high end phone either. I will let you get shots that aren't possible from the ground with any camera and most are will be more moved by the composition and subject than pixel peeping.

Hi everyone! I also have problem with blurry image but in the center of the image. Left and right side are very sharp. Moving the sensor board will help for this?

This video will show the problem

Hi all, i picked up a P3Pro second hand a couple of weeks back, but seem to have a very soft / out of focus image. I'd started with video which was poor, so took some shots yesterday at 1/450th Sec it was sunny with zero wind. The image is not sharp to me and this was one of the better ones from the day to be honest. It looks like the warranty runs out in 4 days, so looking to get some feedback to see what you think, i've emailed DJI too to try and kick things off.

Sharpness 0, contrast -1, saturation -1 In DLOG mode.
JPG
DJI_0023.JPG

DNG
DJI_0023.DNG

Where did you get the focus chart? Middle image-and how large is it?
I'd like to find a really large one. And maybe use 5 of them. One for each corner and one for middle- then I can get a decent distance from the camera for the tests.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lately I have problem with focus too with P2 Advanced. Im going to upload 2 screenshot from yesterday.In both I used ND8 filter but I always do to keep the shutter time low... The out of focus clip is about 9 minutes long and it is all out of focus. One was shot in the morning and the other one in the afternoon.The problem goes back and forth. Before sending to assistance ( they will keep about 3 weeks) I wonder if I can get a solution...Should I open the camera and tighten the screws?

Attachments

• A copia.jpg
    A copia.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 515
  • B copia.jpg
    B copia.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 482
Lately I have problem with focus too with P2 Advanced. Im going to upload 2 screenshot from yesterday.In both I used ND8 filter but I always do to keep the shutter time low... The out of focus clip is about 9 minutes long and it is all out of focus. One was shot in the morning and the other one in the afternoon.The problem goes back and forth. Before sending to assistance ( they will keep about 3 weeks) I wonder if I can get a solution...Should I open the camera and tighten the screws?

First off check your ND filter. Is it the genuine DJI one? The glass in ND filters can have imperfections that will affect the sharpness and cause blur. Try capturing footage with the ND on and off, dont worry about shutter speeds etc, you just need to figure if it needs the focus adjustment or if its the ND glass causing it.

I realized that a motor wasn't tight because I broke a little part of the plastic where it was screw.I just fixed it ad there are not all the vibrations that I thought can caused the problem. Now it flyes well and because tomorrow morning I have to work with it I just made a test.I wonder why the photos are ok and the screenshot of the video is blurry( I was filming with the drone hoovering).Yes the ND filter is original...I'd been working with this drone since may 2016 and it's always been perfect

Attachments

• DJI_0085 B.jpg
    DJI_0085 B.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 504
  • screenshot stadio.png
    screenshot stadio.png
    2 MB · Views: 512
Where did you get the focus chart? Middle image-and how large is it?
I'd like to find a really large one. And maybe use 5 of them. One for each corner and one for middle- then I can get a decent distance from the camera for the tests.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just from Google under fucus chart. I ended up asking my dealer to send it back to Dji for them to look at as the dealer was just going to change the full camera again with the chance that it may also have a fault. The dealer said the Dji would charge me if the found nothing wrong. I took the chance and got them to send it anyway. Dji have now said they have repaired it for no charge and it's on its way back. This confirms there was a fault.

Reactions: Phil56 and Neon Euc
After doing this fix and seeing video of the rest of the lens assembly I can see how this issue can occur. The lens is separate from the sensor board.
Normally the mount for the lens would be attached directly to the sensor board and perfectly aligned with the center of the sensor. This lens then screws into the mount and being perfectly centred it only requires focus adjustment by screwing it in or out.
In the case of the phantom the lens assembly is screwed to the body and the sensor board screws onto the back of it meaning either the lens or sensor could be assembled out of line.
I would suggest that at quality control it may be showing as in line but while in transit from the factory any heavy movement or vibration could introduce a tiny amount of movement producing the issue we are seeing.

Once the back is off, I wonder if the adjustments could be made with live video feed using plastic tools, I have a set for iPhone work, preventing shorting circuit board. I use a 40" monitor for editing and it would shorten the process, just a thought, but your method is excellent for those who need this kind of tweak.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4