Blown video output circuit

Reaction score
Now this really stinks! I blew a component up!
I was installing a 3 way video switch and before I made the final connection to the factory camera + power output, I was checking the molex connector one last time with my meter and somehow with shaky hands I shorted out the power briefly but enough to kill the power completely on that feed. I am so unhappy as I was so close to finishing it all up and putting it back together and now I have really messed something up.

The Phantom powers up and seems to work fine in other regards. I don't know if the video out from the gimbal is damaged as I lost my power feed so I will have to source power from somewhere else. Any ideas as to best place?

I have attached 2 pics, one of the general location of the blown component and a 2nd one that is a close up. Looks pretty clear to me that it is blown. It also looks clear to me that this component would be next to impossible to repair out in the field. Sniff sniff.
Can anyone identify the component? It almost looks like a micro fuse of sorts.

If it's just the power feed that is damaged, I might be ok if I find a suitable place to steal power from. If it's the video from the GoPro through the gimbal connector, now I am in trouble.....

Attachments

• phantom blown component.jpg
    phantom blown component.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Phantom blown component2 small.jpg
    Phantom blown component2 small.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1,546
Looks like you cooked a resistor. You'd need to find a good one and measure the resistance between the two ends. If anyone has their Phantom open and has a multimeter handy, they could find out. Also, hard to tell but you may have damaged the trace underneath. It can probably be fixed easily but given it is SMT, replacing it should only be done by someone who knows what they're doing with a soldering iron. Maybe a local RC shop?

Relay700 said:
Now this really stinks! I blew a component up!
I was installing a 3 way video switch and before I made the final connection to the factory camera + power output, I was checking the molex connector one last time with my meter and somehow with shaky hands I shorted out the power briefly but enough to kill the power completely on that feed. I am so unhappy as I was so close to finishing it all up and putting it back together and now I have really messed something up.

The Phantom powers up and seems to work fine in other regards. I don't know if the video out from the gimbal is damaged as I lost my power feed so I will have to source power from somewhere else. Any ideas as to best place?

I have attached 2 pics, one of the general location of the blown component and a 2nd one that is a close up. Looks pretty clear to me that it is blown. It also looks clear to me that this component would be next to impossible to repair out in the field. Sniff sniff.
Can anyone identify the component? It almost looks like a micro fuse of sorts.

If it's just the power feed that is damaged, I might be ok if I find a suitable place to steal power from. If it's the video from the GoPro through the gimbal connector, now I am in trouble.....

Me too.

I can see why yours has gone, you've wired the connector on the wrong pins if you have a Vision, though a Phantom 2 may use the other side?
From left to right as per your photo, on my Phantom Vision:
1. Empty
2. Empty
3. Positive
4. Gnd
5. Canbus A
6. Canbus B

Mine blew plugging in the camera jack whilst powered on, it wasn't quite seated so I pushed it and pop!

My component is truly blown and no longer on the board. I've tried measuring it and it's just an open circuit.

This makes two of us who need to know what it is.

I'll try emailing DJI but not expecting much help, happy to be proven wrong...

In the mean time, anyone else can you help?

It is my understanding that you should be able to bypass that blown component by using the FPV Hub, which extracts the video signal before it gets to the center board.

I just tested mine and the video seems ok. It's just the positive feed that is not working to I can grasp power from another connector. Not as clean but very doable for me. Have you checked your video output to see if it is damaged or hopefully like me, just lost the power feed.

I blew my video out yesterday, shorting red and black wire for a split second (shoted the jack plug) Ended up ordering a new main circuit board right away, don't want to fly with faulty equipment :-(

DKDarkness said:
don't want to fly with faulty equipment :-(

Wise! It's just not worth the risk. You just have no idea if anything else has been affected. :shock:

So I might have spoke too soon to say I am ok.
On startup, after normal startup cycle , it stays with 1 green blink and then 2 red blink.
I can't find that pattern anywhere to know what it means. I tied off some fishing line to test it(just in case it tried to take off) and all the basic works as well as both cameras, the video switch and my vtx/vtx setup.
I did not test rth or fail safe as I really don't want to try those with something being wrong.

Are you getting this green followed by red on both rear arms or just one? The reason I ask is that mine recently started acting up on one of the arms and I get strange colour sequences. I am about to replace the ESC which I believe is the problem.

Relay700 said:
Same sequence on both arms.

That's normal for Naza M mode. Did you switch into Naza M or is it in Phantom 2 mode? As mentioned in the other thread, your zap could have caused the Naza to lose some settings. Just a guess but best to check and be sure.

It was in Naza mode.... Switched back but raining outside so can't test till tomorrow.
Awesome, thanks!!!!!

Hi, I came from the search function from google to you. Thanks for this forum!

I had the same problem you described. The different: I never done something before. I want start to build in my FPV and open my phantom2 and the damage at the same position was still there. I never noticed some smell before.
Have someone of you found a way to replace the burn out transistor?
Some of you say, that there is a problem with the twisted wires in the plug (from the factory)? In my way, it's the same as adams pictures showed.
My fear was, when I order a new platine and the wires are twisted, the damage will be there again? Thanks for any helping comments (I'am very sorry about my broken english).

phantomFPV_1klein.JPG

phantomFPV_2klein.JPG

It's a resistor and it's not only dead, it's vaporized. It looks like it may have also impacted the neighboring connectors. Traces might be cooked as well. I would replace the main board. You need to first find the root cause for why it happened otherwise it may happen again. You might want to try contacting your dealer about it as well depending on what you find to be the cause.

I had this same problem as I wasn't that good at soldering, not bad now. I used to run my FPV off a zippy 11.1v 3 cell battery which i attached under the phantom, a friend of mine who had the same problem said to solder it to the main power supply from the battery. Sketchy at first, I have done this, and it works sweet. So, what i did was solder a positive and negative wire to the main battery (see attached, not my image, but just and indication). I added a JST plug to it so i could easily disconnect it, and simply feed it down when the original power supply for the FPV went. Hope that helps anyone, i know it helped me as i was going to order a new board, but have now saved $50.

Attachments

• inside1.jpg
    inside1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,520
I have replaced my main board after blowing the same resistor. On my first flight afterwards, I had forgotten to calibrate the IMU, and the P2V made a triple backwards summersault breaking all 4 rotors.

Ordered new rotors (and protectors), did an advanced calibration, did an simple calibration, double checked and triple checked. Did the compass dance. Had another flight attempt, did a double forwards summersault, and broke 2 rotors (despite the protectors!).

Any ideas to what could be causing this?!?

I am not knowlegable on this but I believe I have read that behaviour like that is linked to replacing the top of the quad in the wrong orientation ? This makes the GPS think its tipping in one direction and it compensates but the control input is wrong so it flips ?

Shrimpfarmer said:
I am not knowlegable on this but I believe I have read that behaviour like that is linked to replacing the top of the quad in the wrong orientation ? This makes the GPS think its tipping in one direction and it compensates but the control input is wrong so it flips ?

Good suggestion. The cover is on the right way though. Took the P2V apart, inspected all solder points, no obvious faults I'm afraid. Maybe the replacement main board is defective?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers