Block GPS signal? No-Fly zone fix?

Reaction score
I have recently discovered that my house is about 1000 yards outside the red no fly zone surrounding the Boston airport but definitely very much in the yellow no fly zone. Therefore I get a altitude limit of about 50 feet which is ridiculous. I understand safety and the idea behind the restriction, but man, I would like to fly above 50 feet at my house.

I tried the old tin foil hat and put several layers of aluminum foil on the top of the shell and it did the trick and worked. All is resolved however no GPS help which of course is a little scary. Does anyone have any other hacks or tips to disable the no fly zone? I would love to keep GPS but disable this stupid feature and use my common sense skills instead. I've searched around the forum but can't find much. Thoughts?

Thanks!
-D

DJI already though of that one... Without GPS singal, you will be limited to I think 120m or something in height as determined by the barometer. Plus you have to fly only in atti mode.

Fortunately, you don't have any easy options other than finding a better place to fly. The height restrictions are doing exactly what they should. Not only are you in DJI's no fly zone but you are in the FAA class C airspace which starts at the surface. That is controlled airspace.

Reactions: Chirp
In DJI Phantom 2 user manual V1.1 page 28 states if you are flying set up in NAZA-M mode and flying MANUAL you are not restricted in anyway. :mrgreen:

nitrouspete said:
In DJI Phantom 2 user manual V1.1 page 28 states if you are flying set up in NAZA-M mode and flying MANUAL you are not restricted in anyway. :mrgreen:
Maybe they updated that since I last looked, but my recollection was that even in manual mode, flying without a gps signal anywhere would have a 400ft max vertical ceiling as determined by the barometric sensor.

ElGuano said:
Maybe they updated that since I last looked, but my recollection was that even in manual mode, flying without a gps signal anywhere would have a 400ft max vertical ceiling as determined by the barometric sensor.

That is my understanding as well.

P2 Manual v1.1, Page 28:

In NAZA-M mode, Manual Control Mode- NO limits whatsoever.
(subject to change I would imagine)

Edit: Didn't mean to double post with 'nitrouspete'.

what's the downside of flying in Manual vs. ATTI mode?

Tin foil hat is working but I have manual mode setup anyway so I do think it would be a little better then GPS mode with no GPS or ATTI with a tin hat.

FASTFJR said:
The limitations are in place for a reason. You might along with others might not like them. However as a pilot and a UAV flyer I'm glad they are there

Agreed.

OP, you're on your own for figuring out how to break the rules. Strongly advise you find another place to fly if you need to go above 50'.

Reactions: wormgrunter
50 foot limit is excessive. 400 I can understand. I'm all for regulations but the entire city of Boston is on a height lockdown, it's ridiculous. Common sense will prevail for me, not senseless restrictions. I have hundreds of hours flying with crafts since the P1, I can understand some people who need more rules than common sense, I'm just not one of them.

ianwood said:
You're in FAA class C controlled airspace right next to the airport. Excessive? I don't think so.

I am outside the DJI red zone in the yellow zone. Unfortunately all of Boston is a yellow zone. If I was right next to the airport I wouldn't be flying. I am several miles away.

N017RW said:
P2 Manual v1.1, Page 28:

Just verified that even in NAZA-M mode, Manual Control the No Fly Limit is indeed still functioning. Sticking to my tin hat for now.

instax said:
N017RW said:
P2 Manual v1.1, Page 28:

Just verified that even in NAZA-M mode, Manual Control the No Fly Limit is indeed still functioning. Sticking to my tin hat for now.

GTK.

Change is inevitable.

Has anyone put a micro switch to the power on the GPS module? I would love the ability to just disconnect GPS with the flip of a switch. Thoughts?

ianwood said:
Not only are you in DJI's no fly zone but you are in the FAA class C airspace which starts at the surface. That is controlled airspace.

Worse, Logan is Class B airspace, which the FAA takes very seriously. the Logan Class B airspace that extends to the surface goes out to 8 nautical miles (9.2 MILES) from the airport in all directions.

http://skyvector.com/

instax said:
ianwood said:
You're in FAA class C controlled airspace right next to the airport. Excessive? I don't think so.

I am outside the DJI red zone in the yellow zone. Unfortunately all of Boston is a yellow zone. If I was right next to the airport I wouldn't be flying. I am several miles away.

As I noted above, the Class B airspace that extends to the surface goes out 9.2 miles from Logan.

http://skyvector.com/

How far are you from Logan, exactly? I would strongly advise against flying inside the 5-mile radius of an international airport without getting permission from the tower. That could get you in a world of trouble. You're saying that they impose an additional 7-mile restriction around Logan?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl