Blanket or no blanket that is the question ?

Reaction score
I wear glasses so goggles are not a good solution for me. I use a Black Pearl monitor with sunshade but I find it quite hard to see things due to glare and when the camera is flying into the sun. I am going to have to resort to desperate measures now. I bought some really good blackout material and now I have to summon up the courage to fight vanity and throw a dam blanket over my head to finally get the benefit of goggles without the goggles.

I don't normally care what other people think but I am having trouble with this one..... :oops:

I can see the headline now.

'Man disguised with blanket on his head- seen flying a drone. Appears to be watching TV at the same time' ;)

Shrimpy discussing his latest flight with fellow enthusiasts :lol:

137280422662.jpg

Lee C said:
I wouldnt worry what people think. They wont know its you coz your under the blanket :)

Mmmmm I shall dub this the ostrich theory :lol:

I think I will have to pick a flying site with lots of young mums with small children running around. Should guarantee a taser hit within the flight time of a single battery!! Sky News here I come.

By the way my blanket is white to reflect the sun so thats not me in the picture ;)

That is a snag I think I would find if I tried FPV. My presciption for my short-sightness is described as "complex" so goggles are out of the question. And when I use the LCD on the back of my Panasonic GH2 find it easier to look at it without any glasses at all.

I see on that "Superman" shoot using a Phantom 2 the operator has his monitor in a bin to cut down glare!

monitor.jpg

cheers

bill

I basically have the same problem. Very difficult to see the monitor.
I finally got a Galaxy Note 3 which has a pretty good size display and that helps. I also had cateract surgery which made me far sighted and now do not have to ware glasses. Still, it is difficult to see in the sunshine.

Just another thought- I don't suppose you are located under or near London Gatwick flight path.

Now that would make it really interesting!

As a professional photographer way back in the day, I would be standing behind my 4X5 with that black "blanket" over my head and camera so I could see the screen in order to focus. Thinking of putting my Nexus 7 on a tripod and dragging out that cloth hood...Don't worry about it, do it!

LuvMyTJ said:
Just another day flying my quad...

s1.jpg

We have all heard of the new Lightbridge.......I proudly present the No Lightbridge Mark 1. ;) Looks like LuvMyTJ has seen my blueprints !

I think I've got it.

Large hat (mexican)
Neck brace thingy that they use for harmonica ( use this for monitor)
Cloth to go round the hat sort of like a bee keepers

This thread is the funniest **** thing I've seen in a long time! I'm laughing my *** off here! I have the same black pearl monitor. It is a little hard to see in bright sun but I would be a little nervous putting something over my head. Not so much because I'm afraid I might scare women and children, but because I want to be able to look up in an instant and see where my P2 is.

I like the Mexican hat idea but have not seen them on sale in leafy Sussex. I will have to wait at the arrivals gate at Gatwick Airport and snatch one from someone coming off a flight.

As for not being able to see the quad, well thats just a minor quibble. Its going to fly away with embarrassment anyway so who wants to watch that happen.

I've thought about doing this very thing. I almost did it recently with a beach towel. I was afraid though, of covering the receiver antennas on my LCD which is mounted to the controller. Also, I'm scared of not having line of site to the quad.

Being serious for a second, line of sight is not really an issue as in reality you have to commit to FPV. Pilots using goggles only have line of sight on takeoff and landing. Switching your view from monitor to quad will only enhance the risk of becoming disorientated. Once my blanket is over my head the light is totally eliminated so the view from the monitor is much clearer. That makes FPV much more realistic. The trick will be the transit from no blanket to blanket. I am actually thinking of attaching an old baseball cap to my blanket so that its easy to get it in the right position each time.

Have not tried it for real yet but I have bought the material so its going to happen sooner or later.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj