Blank video when turning GoPro on before Phantom

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Santa was very good to me yesterday. He delivered an ImmersionRC 25mW transmitter, iOSD Mini and Black Pearl monitor for my Phantom 2 (v2), to go with my existing H3-3D gimbal and GoPro 3 Black. Naturally, I put it all together and took it for a quick flight yesterday afternoon. Everything worked great and I am really pleased.

However, I noticed that when I turned the camera on first, then the Phantom (and therefore transmitter), the monitor only displayed the flight information, and blank video. When I turned the camera off and back on, video was displayed on the monitor. I assume that turning the Phantom on first, then the camera would display video first time (still need to confirm).

I would like to turn the camera on first, before the Phantom, so I don't have to fight with the gimbal while turning on the camera.

Are there any settings I have missed to rectify this? Is there anyting I need to do differently?

Thanks,
Phil.

f1nutter said:
Hi Guys,

Santa was very good to me yesterday. He delivered an ImmersionRC 25mW transmitter, iOSD Mini and Black Pearl monitor for my Phantom 2 (v2), to go with my existing H3-3D gimbal and GoPro 3 Black. Naturally, I put it all together and took it for a quick flight yesterday afternoon. Everything worked great and I am really pleased.

However, I noticed that when I turned the camera on first, then the Phantom (and therefore transmitter), the monitor only displayed the flight information, and blank video. When I turned the camera off and back on, video was displayed on the monitor. I assume that turning the Phantom on first, then the camera would display video first time (still need to confirm).

I would like to turn the camera on first, before the Phantom, so I don't have to fight with the gimbal while turning on the camera.

Are there any settings I have missed to rectify this? Is there anyting I need to do differently?

Thanks,
Phil.

Hmmm I don't have that FPV system,,, but it sounds like what you see with some auto switching video systems. Does your system have options for more than one video source? Maybe try cycling through the video inputs on the monitor to see if that will get you the signal?

Dunno... Just brainstorming.

Do you have the latest firmware/software in you GoPro? I had some problems when first starting in the hobby with the GoPro 3 Black. If I started in the wrong sequence, the video would be reversed left was right and right was left. Had to be corrected in post production. If I didn't notice it before taking off, the view in my goggles was flipped too requiring landing and restarting all the components.

May not have anything to do with your problem, but updating the camera solved my problem. Although using the same turn-on sequence each and every time does insure you don't forget anything as simple as forgetting to start recording when flying. A consistent checklist sort of routine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't believe the video transmitter has multiple inputs, and I have all the latest software/firmware on all the devices. The GoPro is on 3.01 I think, and the Phantom is up to date (just the iOSD to do)

Like you say Buk, I want to do the same sequence each time to ensure safety and consistency of results, preferably camera first which is how I noticed the problem.

...(just the iOSD to do)...

If you haven't updated the iOSD, try that and then recalibrate the controller and the Phantom and try again. I don't have a three axis gimbal, but a two and this is my sequence. Turn on controller, turn on monitor, turn on DVR and start recording. Turn on Phantom, wait for two sets of green flashing lights, calibrate compass, turn off Phantom, turn on camera, start recording, turn on Phantom and wait for two sets of flashing green lights. I have the DVR which you don't, so my sequence is a little different. I agree the fewer times I put the gimbal in hibernation mode the better.

Although not updating the iOSD has contributed other problems, I have not heard of it causing this problem. Mine intermittently failed, but the GoPro always was visible in the monitor. I replaced the iOSD. Again, I don't think that is your problem.

I think I have traced this back to the Hero Bus connector upgrade. If I use the USB cable and turn the GoPro on first, I get iOSD and video, but with the Hero Bus connector, I only get iOSD.

I need to turn the Phantom on first, then the GoPro.

Good for you. At least you know what will work consistently.

Buk said:
...(just the iOSD to do)...

If you haven't updated the iOSD, try that and then recalibrate the controller and the Phantom and try again. I don't have a three axis gimbal, but a two and this is my sequence. Turn on controller, turn on monitor, turn on DVR and start recording. Turn on Phantom, wait for two sets of green flashing lights, calibrate compass, turn off Phantom, turn on camera, start recording, turn on Phantom and wait for two sets of flashing green lights. I have the DVR which you don't, so my sequence is a little different. I agree the fewer times I put the gimbal in hibernation mode the better.

Although not updating the iOSD has contributed other problems, I have not heard of it causing this problem. Mine intermittently failed, but the GoPro always was visible in the monitor. I replaced the iOSD. Again, I don't think that is your problem.

Here's my startup procedure. First on the camera then the monitor followed by the controller next the Phantom and last of all the DVR on and in record. Oh I know you're going to tell me that I forgot to calibrate my compass. Well you would be right but I don't do the dance every single time I go out to fly or even when I change locations which could be several times in a day. Now if there is a problem with the compass calibration your iOSD will notify you with a blinking diamond icon in the bottom center of your monitor. Yes it's recommended in the manual that you should do it every time you change locations but it isn't necessary if you have iOSD. For those who do not have FPV w/OSD I would suggest calibrating each and every time you fly or change locations.

Have I ever received a notice to re-calibrate yes yesterday after unplugging the compass while working on the craft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic