Blank video screen of death

Reaction score
I see this topic mentioned briefly in various threads, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer.... some people swear it is hardware, others swear it is software.

When starting up my P2V+, I can connect to the wireless network and get the video feed for about 90 seconds (in any resolution). After that point, the video freezes and I'm unable to get anything back, even when I restart the phone, RC, P2V+, and extender. If I wait for an extended period of time, then I can repeat the cycle, get connected, get video, and lose it almost exactly 90 seconds later. From start to finish I do receive telemetry data and got the little dude to 500m without a drop in telemetry or control. It will take photos, adjust the gimbal, and record video. But just no live feed.

This is 3.06 firmware, 1.0.52 app version using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and the stock everything on the P2V+. I did do the foil mod today due to poor GPS reception (which worked very well, so thank you everybody) but the problem existed prior to the mod, and persisted after the mod... so it is clearly a problem that exists independent of the GPS and foil tape. I have uninstalled an reinstalled the app. I even went so far as to get the old APKs and download those apps... to no avail.

The reason I settled on the P2V+ was because of the built in FPV and camera control. So to not have this work is extremely demoralizing. I don't feel like having a 4 week turnaround with sending it back to DJI (assuming I ever hear back from them), but I don't want to drop 200 bucks on a new wireless receiver that was defective from the factory.

Has anyone else found a way to resolve this issue? Can I just put foil on a rotor blade and sacrifice a goat to the FPV gods?

I'll have to steal my girlfriend's phone tomorrow. I also tried it on my old Razr Maxx and experienced the same problem.

This is interesting. *Think* I've only ever seen this affecting Android users. Please let us know if the BVSOD is still present on your GF's iPhone.

I have read in a forum somewhere that one of the problems with no video was with the WiFi module that sends video and telemetry from the P2VP. The problem with the module is a heat related fault, when it is cold everything is fine but once it warms up no video. I am not sure how you would go about testing it apart from removing the upper shell, starting it and when you loose video hit the module with a cooling agent and see if you get the video back..

I have been having the same issues. I'm on the most up to date firmware on everything, I've tried on my iphone as well as my girlfriends iphone and the problem is still present. Works fine for about half the flight and then the feed drops to black and white with the spinner. I tried contacting DJI about the issue and they gave me a long line of ******** trouble shooting steps that I have already done. I just ordered a new wifi module as that seems to make the most sense, I should get it next week and will report back with my findings.

I'm a new Vision + owner and have only had mine for a week now. I was having the same issue with my iphone 5s and my ipad. I read somewhere that if you lowered the preview resolution in the app it might help. I lowered it down to the lowest setting of 320 x240 15fps yesterday afternoon and went for a test flight. The video stayed OK for the entire battery. May have just been a fluke and I got lucky. I may try bumping it up each setting to see where it drops out again. I have also noticed that after a flight if I pick up the Phantom gripping it around the top it feels slightly warm. I assume that is normal (?) or could it have something to do with the dropping video?

DownunderPhantom said:
I have read in a forum somewhere that one of the problems with no video was with the WiFi module that sends video and telemetry from the P2VP. The problem with the module is a heat related fault, when it is cold everything is fine but once it warms up no video. I am not sure how you would go about testing it apart from removing the upper shell, starting it and when you loose video hit the module with a cooling agent and see if you get the video back..

After some testing today, I'm almost sure it is heat related. I cracked off the top and ran video inside my apartment. It lasted maybe 2-3 minutes before signal dropped. Module was more hot than warm. Tried cooling it by putting it in front of a fan to see if video would be regained. Video was not regained. Turned off P2V+, left it in front of the fan for about a minute till it cooled down a bit, turned it back on, reconnected, had video for another minute or so, then froze. Again thing was hot to the touch. Did this a number of times, each time being the same outcome. Tried calling the LA office all day today, and I just keep getting the "extremely high call volume, call back later" message. Very frustrating. After dropping 1400 bucks on this thing, I don't want to have to spend another 200 on another module that might also be faulty... or might be forced into overheat by stupid programming. If anyone else has replaced their module, please let me know how it has worked out for you, and where you got it from.

I guess I learned my lesson... should have bought from a decent retailer instead of direct from DJI.

I have had the same issues, on a HTC 1 M8 and Samsung Galaxy S3. I have ordered a iPod Touch 5th gen for daughter, so I will see if I have to keep it ias well....oh, and I have had the Phantom for about a week, all software has been upgraded to latest as well.

Just waited for an hour to get in touch with a tech... so I could have him send me this email:

"Thank you for calling DJI technical support.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware

Ensure you are operating your mobile device in airplane mode with all data off (wifi on)

Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software

Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications

Check the free space on your mobile device, we recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be
causing the issue.

Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again

Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app

If these do not help, please reply to this email or call our response team.

Thank you for choosing DJI to fly!

DJI Technology Customer Service"

So now I get to call them back. Again. And wait.

I used to have problems with the video feed on anything above 320x480 @ 15fps until I did the following;

1. Freed up about 5gb on my iPhone
2. Stop ALL apps before starting up the Dji app. On the iPhone this means removing the apps from memory by swiping the active apps upwards to remove them.
3. Start from flight mode and only activate wifi to connect to the phantom.

Since the last firmware update I now fly 640x480 @ 30fps. I'm not saying this will solve everyone's problem but it worked for me.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I also use v2 of the phantom vision plus booster app. However I used this app from the beginning, so also when I was experiencing the problem.

-David

I had a similar problem except my FPV only worked 1 time. All other flights I had to do line of site. My telemetry and all other functions worked fine, just no video feed. Tried all the tricks listed above. Finally ordered a new wifi transmitter from helipal ($179) and now IT WORKS!
Will

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4s. I had to free up 5 GB of space and put the phone in airplane mode and sometimes the FPV will work for a whole battery. I then bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for use only with my 2+ (only thing installed is the dji app and a booster app - nothing else installed nor ever will be). FPV is now flawless. I had originally thought it was a temperature problem but now that it works flawlessly with the Samsung with nothing but dji apps installed I highly believe it is a memory or bandwidth issue.

Same issue. About a minute and a half of video, then kaput.

Sent it back to DJI LA today. They should have it tomorrow... so I'd love a response tomorrow... but I'm planning on not hearing anything (due to their GREAT, FULLY STAFFED customer service /s) until the middle of next week. Seriously... if I didn't have a day off during the week, I'd never have been able to get through. I called 5 times before I got into the hold queue (the rest of the time I got hung up on because they were experiencing too high of a call volume), waited for an hour to get a rep, then got the "here's the steps you've already done 10 times" email... called back another 4-5 times before getting in the queue, waited another 50 minutes before getting a rep, and finally got an RMA.

Raced to peel off the foil mod and reassemble the drone and get it to UPS before they closed.

I never had a problem with an iPhone 5s, but using Android devices (tablet and Moverio) is where I've had problems too. Good advice about stopping other processes - things like weather apps and things that update, like email. And clearing out as much memory as you can helps too. With the Moverio glasses, I tried version 1.5 but went back to version 1.4 because I had the same video dropout problems. My experience is that 1.4 works better on devices where you're pushing the devices' limit, like older phones and tabs. If you get video lag or breakup watching a high quality video stream, I' say try version 1.4 instead of the latest.

Yeah. I'm definitely a huge phone nerd... so I had my phone well squared away by the time those instructions came around... plenty of space on my internal and external SD cards... background processes terminated... etc. Airplane mode with wifi only... smart network switch off (not that it matters in airplane mode). I backed all the way down to 1.0.38 with no luck. Still that 90 second window of viewability. But again, the wifi module did get uncomfortably warm right before video transmission ceased, and it seems others have had issues with their wifi transmitters... so I'd bet my next paycheck it is faulty electronics.

I had the same issue with spinning wheel on phone and no live feed.
Solution that worked for me ....

I first formatted the 32 GB micro SD card using the cameras app but this did not resolve the no FPV issue so I did a "Full Format" (not a "Quick format") of the memory card using my PC ... this worked.

I have since rebooted the craft from complete shutdown several times now, recorded some short video, restarted several times again and repeated recording and the live feed is still working!

Hope this works for someone else !
Not saying this is a fix that will work for everyone's situation but it's a cheap try

It's a known issue with the VIsion Plus V2's. The Version 3's get upgraded perforated wifi modules.
I've owned 3 modules. Its a heat dissipation issue. DJI has used crap thermo paste and the phantom has no cooling methods when idling without props.

My original died gradually. It had been faulty since day 1. I could never get 640*480@30fps. I then used booster apps to get the 30fps and it worked... for a while. I also transferred files via the phantoms wifi to my phone (as advertised by DJI). The module died 6 months later - gradually. The fpv resolutions dropped down to 320*240@15fps and only lasted a minute or so until it died. I tried the artic silver mod, but it was all too late.

I got a used V2 unit and did the artic silver mod - didn't run any booster apps or transfer files and I got 500m with the 640*480@30fps. In fear that it will fail again, I got myself the V3 as a backup. DJI just punched some holes but didn't bother about the thermo paste. I've done the artic silver mod on the V3 and was able to achieve 500m @ 640*480@30fps.

Do the Artic silver mod and don't run booster apps or leave the phantom idling without the props on. The heat on the module is enough to fry the circuits.

image.jpg Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
• Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
. Check bluetooth be sure it is off
• Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
• Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
• Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
• Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
• Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.