Blank Map on Android Asus ZenPad 8

Reaction score
Just got an ASUS ZenPad 8, loaded the app and the map is blank. There's Chinese writing on the lower left corner of the map when in full screen. Have tried everything, google maps is loaded on the tablet and works great, uninstalled & re-installed DJI GO several times.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
IMG_9001.JPG

This worries me, I've said for months the ZenPad 8 is a great tablet to use with the P4. I love the screens display and the size, I got mine refurbished for like $120 and love it, I hope this is fixed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Had similar problem but a re install sorted it out. Does it have internet connection when you switch on? Have you enabled map cache?(in general settings)

I am having same issues on Tab S with 2.8.1, with P4. Last Evening I went by the local park office, connected to wifi, opened dji go map, expanded to max resolution in the area I was going to fly, then closed app, turned off wifi, put tablet in sleep. I drove to a different area of the park with no wifi around, did normal start up, turned on location on Tab S, and started to fly in beginner mode. NO MAP. After flying out battery, and checking various functions, landed, replaced battery, changed out of beginner mode, flew around in P mode, changed battery, enabled multi mode, flew around in P and S, I got side tracked and forgot to check out A.
Any way, some where on the second or third battery, (didn't note exactly when) I noted I had a working map in hybrid view same as I looked up on wifi earlier.
To check this morning, I opened the app and zoomed using wifi several miles away, but set as my intended flying site. Started in Beginner mode again, switched off, flew awhile In P, enabled all flight modesand flew some more. I wanted to see if any of the settings made any difference. No map at all today.
As far as I know there is no action required to "cache" the map other than pan to desired area, and zoom to desired resolution.
I do not have a cache map option in settings, the only cache option I have is to cache video.
Hopefully, some one can post a answer resolving our no map issues.
SHUAN

I am disappointed how quickly this thread dropped to page 5 without any postings of support from some one that may know an answer, and no postings of resolutions.
Doing a thread search on Lost Maps(etc) turned up several threads on here as well as DJI with the same type of thread. All seem to die a slow death with a few comments of I am having a problem too, but no support or resolution.
So being a Retired Recovering Super Engineer I decided on a plan of Experiment & Evaluate, (Trial&Error). The Recovering part means No Written notes or documentation, just old mans memory, so their may be some errors from actual real life.
My platform in my New P4 with DJI GO running on a Galaxy TabS 8.4; all have the latest current updates. Other platforms combination may have different results.
It would be interesting to see others with different platforms repeat my experiments and report their results.

CONCLUSIONS:
Having downloads in Google Maps App makes no difference, they are not accessible from DJI Go. (Bears Repeating to Verify).

The main issue I had was the default map, (loaded via Tablet Wifi only), when starting DJI GO is a blank map of a half planet view centered on Niger, Africa. I assume this is Lat/Long of 0/0; but,have not verified.
Turning on location sensing in either P4 or Tablet, through GPS or Tablet with wifi only(&avail) moves the center point to my current location, (Central NC/US), but still a planet size view blank map covering almost pole to pole, and Mid Pacific to Central Europe. Any stored maps of local area are less than a pixel and under the blue dot. Pinching out to zoom in 10-20 times gets to a level that city names begin to appear; but, no satellite/map data. Keeping up the pinch out to zoom another 10-20 times gets down to my little corner of the world with all the detail I viewed when I had wifi. Panning around, all the area I had viewed is still present.
I tried several methods of downloading map/satellite data. I was mainly using relatively slow open access public wifi from several locations. Downloading from the Tablet only; or, Tablet connected to RC seems to produce the least successful results.
Leaving the tablet GPS( Loc) OFF and Connecting the P4 with RC & TabS seems to produce the best. Wait until the P4 establishes Sat Lock and updates home position. This method downloads a high altitude overview of the world; making it very easy on future startup to realize you are looking at Africa , then a giant view of your current location. Zooming in and panning to get the detail and Locations you want.
Powering down and moving around still produce excellent, as would be expected, results when the P4, RC, & Tab S are all connected. Even moving to different areas several miles apart. Using the TabS with GPS alone still produces excellent results when Opening the DJI GO app and zooming in.
I am not sure why my maps appeared mysteriously the other afternoon. I am thinking after flying a certain time or distance map may automatically zoom in, worth another set of experiments.
I also plan to locate exactly where maps are stored and see if I can move them to a archive file on the Giant TabS SD card to be restored at a later date . May be useful for storing maps on little used flying locations for recall later with out having to find a wifi connection.
I do hope others will add input for future reference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers