Blades reflecting sunlight glare into photos

Reaction score
I think I discovered a problem.

Flew out in Death Valley today. Very breezy and sunny. In some of my shots I can see the reflection of the props. I believe this is mainly caused by the propellers being smooth, glossy, white and the glare from the sun bouncing off of the blades. The gimbal was never angled up.

I understand the P4 was leaning into the wind so some shots show the glare from the blades more than others.

I am running a DJI ND16 filter, D-Log, saturation -1, contrast -1, and sharpness -1 in these shots.

Again the reflection is at the top left in the shots I included. They aren't in every shot so it's not a problem with the lens.

Anyone having this issue also? Never had this issue with the matte white blades on my P3P.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 605
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 519
I think I discovered a problem.

Flew out in Death Valley today. Very breezy and sunny. In some of my shots I can see the reflection of the props. I believe this is mainly caused by the propellers being smooth, glossy, white and the glare from the sun bouncing off of the blades. The gimbal was never angled up.

I understand the P4 was leaning into the wind so some shots show the glare from the blades more than others.

I am running a DJI ND16 filter, D-Log, saturation -1, contrast -1, and sharpness -1 in these shots.

Again the reflection is at the top left in the shots I included. They aren't in every shot so it's not a problem with the lens.

Anyone having this issue also? Never had this issue with the matte white blades on my P3P.
You need a lens shield. This one will fit. I got one for my P3P and it fits my P4. Check it out!
Amazon.com : Lens Hood and Lens Cap for DJI Phantom 3 Standard, Advanced, and Professional : Camera & Photo

Looks to me like it is "seeing" way too much left propeller or shine even if it is wind related. Likely the camera may be skewed to the left.

It almost looks atmospheric until it is enlarged several magnifications.

Consider gimbal calibration. I don't have a P4 but on my P3Pro, I put the gridlines up and place bird on my IMU calibration table and calibrate the gimbal, then tweek the - or + if needed.
It just looks like the yaw setting/calibration is slightly off center to the left.

Beautiful desert photos.

Last edited:
No one else has experienced this yet?

I'm experiencing this in my video. I thought it was my propellers and not a reflection. Cause I was flying in 20mph winds.

I'm hoping you are right and it is just a reflection and can get a lens shield? Watching your thread.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I haven't had any sunny weather yet to see this but I have seen glare with P3P...I don't know if it was off of the props and honestly that didn't cross my mind. Either way I am going to make a shade from light aluminium and keep it on hand for my next sunny day which now that I'm in the south again should be soon.

DJI Forum|Beer Can Lens Shade

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31