Black ring around edges of photos

Reaction score
So I just got my P4P+ on Tuesday. We had a thick fog this morning so I took the opportunity to take a few shots. I've been flying my P3A since it debuted, but I've never had this issue with my HDR photos. When I pull the photos from my P4P into Photomatix and run HDR (this was a 5 shot AEB) I get these black rings around the edges of the photo (this is happening on every single photo too, whether shot into the sun or away from it). If I look at any individual photo, I don't see the ring, but when I merge to HDR, they're there. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Attachments

• DJI_0011_2_3_4_5_Interior 3.jpg
    DJI_0011_2_3_4_5_Interior 3.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 393
It looks like the filter is not pushed on the whole way. Got a shot of your individual photos?

I thought that too, but there is no filter. This is shot with the DJI regular lens. I haven't removed it yet.

Attachments

• DJI_0011.JPG
    DJI_0011.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 318
I thought that too, but there is no filter. This is shot with the DJI regular lens. I haven't removed it yet.
Hmmmm, how come it's not showing in this 2nd pic that you posted? Did you crop it out of this one? So you have the stock UV filter that came on your P4P? This is def vignetting from either the lens not calibrated to your sensor or something that is not right on front of your lens causing this vignetting.

2nd pic is not cropped. It's from the same set of photos that was used to create the HDR photo I posted up top. I only see the vignetting (thanks, I couldn't remember that word when I posted this) when I merge the 5 photos to HDR. It's not showing up in the individual ones though.

Is lens calibrations something I can do or is that done at the factory?

2nd pic is not cropped. It's from the same set of photos that was used to create the HDR photo I posted up top. I only see the vignetting (thanks, I couldn't remember that word when I posted this) when I merge the 5 photos to HDR. It's not showing up in the individual ones though.

Is lens calibrations something I can do or is that done at the factory?
There is no lens calibrating for us on these birds. Ok, what are you merging your HDR shots with? Are you using the full resolution images to do that? This is serious banding or vignetting. Did you look at each of the ind images to see if you could find the banding or vignetting in it? It maybe looks like your hdr method is using the dark corners of one of the darker images in your set. I'm guessing it's happening at your conversion man.

I just found this on the Photomatix website (thanks again for reminding me the vignetting word). Perhaps it is the issue. I never shoot on auto, but since I was in a hurry this morning, I did, so I wonder if that may be why. Here is what photomatix says about it.

"I can't get sharp results with your software
Lack of sharpness on HDR processed images is often due to the use of Shutter priority or Program mode instead of the recommended Aperture priority mode when bracketing shots.

If you set your camera to Shutter priority, the depth of field will change between the shots, and this will lead to inferior results on the combined image. There may also be vignetting issues, too.

It is important to set your camera to Aperture priority when shooting with Automatic Exposure Bracketing (AEB). This way, only the shutter time will vary, and the Aperture (and therefore depth-of-field) will remain the same."

I just found this on the Photomatix website (thanks again for reminding me the vignetting word). Perhaps it is the issue. I never shoot on auto, but since I was in a hurry this morning, I did, so I wonder if that may be why. Here is what photomatix says about it.

"I can't get sharp results with your software
Lack of sharpness on HDR processed images is often due to the use of Shutter priority or Program mode instead of the recommended Aperture priority mode when bracketing shots.

If you set your camera to Shutter priority, the depth of field will change between the shots, and this will lead to inferior results on the combined image. There may also be vignetting issues, too.

It is important to set your camera to Aperture priority when shooting with Automatic Exposure Bracketing (AEB). This way, only the shutter time will vary, and the Aperture (and therefore depth-of-field) will remain the same."
This is exactly what happened my friend. Also, the shot that you have done the hdr process on is really not a shot that needs hdr tbo. That is a really neat shot btw. But it is really an overall kind of flat scene. So hdr is not really needed at all. You can just jack your contrast a little and still have detail everywhere and it would look just as good if not better. hdr is bending things too much for you imo and hurting your image instead of helping. HDR is more for super high contrast scenes so you can create detail in the darkest darks and the lightest lights. Basically giving you detaill that is not possible with one straight exposure with the sensor used.

Reactions: RyanK

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan