Black Preview Screen

Reaction score
HI all.

I had a Phantom 2 Vision and had intermittent problems with the preview screen not working on my IPhone(s) it would take several reboots to get a preview to come up. I decided to upgrade to a Phantom 2 Vision+ and have the same issue. although now I have never successfully had the preview working.

I have tried with 3 different IPhones ( a 5 and two 5s)

The phones all connect fine, I am able to get flight stats, and I am able to get the camera to take pics / record video.
I can then review them in the Album no problems and Sync to the phones.

The black screen of death is very annoying and I would love to know if anyone has any ideas.

things I have tried:
-Reboots (of everything)
-Re-installed app
-fresh phone out of box with fresh DJI install
-smacked head against wall
-disconnect/reconnect WiFi connection

I had the same issue. I had to reinstall all the firmware again even though it's up to date. Also did an advanced calibration and now it seems to be working fine. I'm using an iphone 5.

There are several threads about this issue. I have the same problem. I recommend contacting Technical Support. They have several suggestions, but none of them seem to help anyone that's called.

It seems like there are two problems. One is an intermittent one where some pilots have the signal come and go. This may be a software issue, but dji hasn't supplied an update or been able to tell when it will be released. Then there are Phantoms that just always have a black screen. That's what I have. I'm convinced this is a hardware issue. I have asked for a replacement Phantom.

warsome said:
Bump:

Any other suggestions

It seems to be less common with Android, you could look out for an inexpensive phone or small tablet even if it was used for little else than a monitor.
It's not altogether convenient to use your main phone, for example it can ring(!) and if you have it in a case normally you can't use that.

Had the black screen occur over the weekend twice. It is the first time and is very strange. Resolved by power cycling but it is a real issue, however sporadic. It is concerning that for some users it always occurs.

One tip regarding using your main phone, it ringing etc. If you have an iPhone turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. Now you have a device that is dedicated to your flight and has no other signals / antennas and you won't be interrupted.

davephantom said:
Had the black screen occur over the weekend twice. It is the first time and is very strange. Resolved by power cycling but it is a real issue, however sporadic. It is concerning that for some users it always occurs.

One tip regarding using your main phone, it ringing etc. If you have an iPhone turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. Now you have a device that is dedicated to your flight and has no other signals / antennas and you won't be interrupted.

Using airplane mode was actually one of the suggestions from DJI.....tried it and no change. :-(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj