Black Phantom w/ Ext. NAZA-lite GPS Antenna

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was researching the idea of mounting a DJI NAZA Lite Version of a GPS/Compass on my P2V+ when I noticed at the web site a picture of the beautiful craft painted in a glossy black with the antenna mounted on its back. My bookmarking failed or I forgot to do it. Does anyone have the URL of the message or web site that shows that craft? If so, please submit a reply with the information.

Regards,

-Tim

Varmint: YES!!! I don't know how I missed the picture the 2nd and 3rd time in scanning all the GPS related topics!

I don't understand how you painted it from looking at the picture. Perhaps the stripes are just a reflection. About your comment wrt "...the GPS port still accepts compass signals ...". I've also read comments from others that the separate molex for the standard compass cable needs to be mounted or the craft won't fly. So my assumption is the standard product compass cable is still plugged in, and while the GPS port simply ignores information tagged as compass in the data stream from the antenna. Is my assumption correct?

Also, did you shorten the GPS Naza-lite mast?

Again, my compliments on a pretty craft. Happy that it works for you!

-Tim

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your comments! The top she'll is coverd with a high quality 3M vinyl wrap called 1080 that mimics carbon fiber: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchprint-Ca ... B0058DIDTY

There's an outfit that sells this stuff pre-cut for Phantom, and it's kind of expensive, but very nice. I can't find the URL offhand, but f you look around I can confirm whether that's what I used or not. No other wrap material can reproduce the same look. I painted the tips of the arms and a few exposed small areas of the top shell with satin black Krylon Fusion before applying the wrap, and then used a heat gun, although that's not strictly necessary. Finally, I trimmed off any excess protruding below the shell after application.

As far as the GPS, it already has a compass built-in, which is read on the same line that the stock GPS uses, so it simply plugs into the existing GPS port and you're done. You can unplug and remove the stock compass completely.

The mast that comes with the NAZA GPS is short, and I used it stock. To mound the mast I used an unobtrusive folding, single scew unit sold by Tarot instead of the included one, which is not appropriate for Pantom mounting. http://www.helipal.com/tl15t08-aluminiu ... older.html

Hope it helps!

Does the GPS antenna improve the stability? accuracy? Whats the advantage if you currently do not have a GPS issue? Being serious.
JL

jl_coat said:
Does the GPS antenna improve the stability? accuracy? Whats the advantage if you currently do not have a GPS issue? Being serious.
JL

The advantage is that GPS locks are much faster and with more sats because they don't suffer from EMI due to the proximity of the OEM GPS to the internal components. Although this can also be achieved though additional internal shielding, I prefer this method. It also removes the requirement for the compass to be mounted on the legs, which allowed me to install an retractable landing gear.

varmint said:
jl_coat said:
JL

The advantage is that GPS locks are much faster and with more sats because they don't suffer from EMI due to the proximity of the OEM GPS to the internal components. Although this can also be achieved though additional internal shielding, I prefer this method. It also removes the requirement for the compass to be mounted on the legs, which allowed me to install an retractable landing gear.

Nice! Thanks for answering. Your drone looks great!

Friend Varmint:

Thank you for the additional information about the 3M product. I'm still curious about your comments that that the craft (and I'm assuming PV2+) jack for the puck also interprets the compass encoding. As I recall from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995704, the encoding clearly includes compass. However Smallman28 wrote a message at: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099&p=256618&hilit=change+gps#p256618 which suggests that the stock compass cable must still be attached to the PV2+ board. Someone else stated the craft simply would not work the stock compass is not connected to the dedicated compass jack on the PV2+ board.

I assume you drilled a hole on top of the craft to bolt down the Tarot 680 mount.

Also, would you please point me to the landing rail you used for your craft? Have you run into problems with the gimbal's exposure to rocks or whatever sticks up between the rails upon landing?

Thanks for all the useful information. When I find the matching molex connector used for the puck, I'll start work.

Regards, Tim

Once again, the OEM compass does NOT need to be plugged into the compass port on the P2V+ or P2V (I have both)' when ans external GPS/compass is attached and pkugged into the GPS port. The assistant imediately sees the new compass, and the offset for the GPS location van be entered into the assistant. Works perfectly, and calibrates just like the OEM compass.

The landing gear I used was originally designed for the P1, but is easily modified to work with the P2 series by drilling a couple of holes into the included mounting plate and securing it through the existing gimbal mounting screw holes: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/atg-dji-phan ... plate.html

The ATG gear offers much more clearance and stability than the stock gear. However I am now using a retractable gear, which so far has worked extremely well, although it's not nearly as stable as the ATG: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27045&start=20

timtown said:
Friend Varmint:

Thank you for the additional information about the 3M product. I'm still curious about your comments that that the craft (and I'm assuming PV2+) jack for the puck also interprets the compass encoding. As I recall from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995704, the encoding clearly includes compass. However Smallman28 wrote a message at: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099&p=256618&hilit=change+gps#p256618 which suggests that the stock compass cable must still be attached to the PV2+ board. Someone else stated the craft simply would not work the stock compass is not connected to the dedicated compass jack on the PV2+ board.

I assume you drilled a hole on top of the craft to bolt down the Tarot 680 mount.

Also, would you please point me to the landing rail you used for your craft? Have you run into problems with the gimbal's exposure to rocks or whatever sticks up between the rails upon landing?

Thanks for all the useful information. When I find the matching molex connector used for the puck, I'll start work.

Regards, Tim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31