Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Black Pearl RC801 and AVL58 Transmitter...

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by Cebu, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Cebu

This is my hardware:

Phantom II (non-vision)
    AVL-58 Transmitter, TX clover antenna is comes with
    iOSD mini
    Black Pearl RC801 (using antennas it came with)

I've read this is not a very good setup for range but I can't even get 20 feet before I lose complete FPV connection! I set the monitor to NTSC and using Band E and channel 1. I've tried the other channels with the same results. I've seen videos where the monitor has a steady signal with no break up or bars when the receiver and monitor are close in proximity. Mine never comes close to that (bad transmitter?)

Is there something I can try before I purchase another antenna combo? I'm willing to ditch the AVL58 but want to replace components systematically.

My next plan of attack is to purchase this kit http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97 hoping it is the poor reception and not a really bad AVL58 output signal. I figure if it doesn't fix my issue at least I have a good antenna set.

Questions:
    - Have others used the different Bands available on the BP RC801? I didn't seem to have any luck using diversity mode on any other Band except E
    - Any other hint or tips before purchasing the FPVLR setup?

Thank you!

2. noiseboy72

20' suggests a serious issue somewhere. Double check you are on the same channel and frequency.

Is this a ground test, or are you actually flying? My 25mW TX won't give more than about 50' on the ground, but 200' - 400' when flying.

Check you have the correct antennae with the correct plug type rp-sma or straight sma, that sort of thing.

If you have ever run the TX without an antennae - even for half a second, you could have damaged the output stage, giving you the reduced range.

Better antennae will help with fade on turning and a modest increase in range, but they won't give you a massive gain.

I would suspect the TX, but to check the simple things first.

3. Cebu

As I understand, the AVL-58 has 8 channels for selections and there is no band selection. I'm selecting band "E" and the channel number on the RC801. I then press the channel selection button on the AVL-58 until I receive a signal on the RC801. If this is not correct let me know.

I've done my testing flying overhead. I think you're right in that the AVL-58 may have been damaged. I purchased my Phantom 2 used and this was the first time I've tried using FPV. The mushroom antenna has been connected since I've had it. I did check the SMA connection between the antenna and transmitter and though dirty and cleaned it was not damaged.

Thank you for your feedback. I may order the same AVL-58 transmitter since I have all the cables already in place. Unless you know of a direct drop in alternative transmitter that can utilize the hub board?

4. Cebu

Before I went and ordered antennas I took apart the AVL-58 to see if I could find any obvious to cause a blown output. Checked for cold/cracked solder joints and around the output device including the coupling capacitor. Nada. I took another look at the SMA connector and notice under light that the insulator was shiny not the normal teflon color. I grabbed my tweezers and the shiny film lifted off. There were also fragments on the TXOUT antenna SMA connector, I cleaned that part too. I didn't bother to measure if the material was conductive but I just went for a flight at night and I was able have FPV all the way down the block whereas before I was lucky to get 20 feet.

I still plan on purchasing the FPVLR rig as I still want to try to get the best signal as possible. Thought I'd share in case somebody else had a similar situation.

[​IMG]

5. Haze

DJI Lightbridge MAn i recommend 100%. its pricey But once i got I WILL never go back to analogue signal for FPV.. and i can Fly about 2KM Distance (which is more then should as its Illegal out of LOS or (line of sight) but :) in full HD Signal, not static analogue. The difference is in the Detail you can see, i was flying in a park over friends playing soccer and on my immersion 600 and black pearl i couldnt see the soccer bal from over head at about 50m with lightbridge HD signal i could almost read their numbers on their shirts at 50 M.

Never go back for me. just my opinion.

6. noiseboy72

Interesting what a small piece of plastic - which will act as a coupling capacitor at 5.8GHz, can do.

Good find :)

7. Cebu

Haze,

I did a some reading on the DJI LIghtbridge setup thank you for the heads up.

8. Cebu

I ended up ordering the bundled 5.8GHz set from FPVLR. I'm sure it will perform much better than what I have now. I take it you're in the electronics industry too :)