Black Pearl NOT A Good Match For ImmersionRC Tx?

Reaction score
I am trying to put the pieces together to purchase FPV setup for my new Phantom on the way. I was doing a bit of reading up on antennas (which is where I really need help), when I started to come across some posts that the ImmsersionRC Tx and Black Pearl Diversity Monitor do not operate well together... But- It seems like I have seen them being mentioned being used together quite frequently on the forum.

Something about the 32 channels of the Black Pearl not being optimal for the channels the ImmersionRC Tx uses? Something about only being compatible on "airwave frequencies." ...I won't pretend I understand.

ImmersionRC Frequencies: 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz

201402070117069223.jpg

Here's some of the posts I came across:
And although it has frequency channels in common, i think i've read somewhere that IRC stuff only works optimum with IRC or Fatshark and not so well with those multi-purpose receivers..
Ding ding ding, Hans you get 1 point. Black Pearl, 99.9% this doesn't work with an Immersion transmitter.
immersion vtx are only compatible with airwave based vrx like uno, duo, fatshark goggles and mondo stinger. i've never seen a monitor with a built in rx that is compatible with immersion.
what they told you is correct
the immersion works alot better than the rc305 stuff you need for that monitor, i'd ditch that monitor for a 8: readymaderc monitor and an uno or a set of goggles. get a nice ULTRA BlueBeam set as well....

For some reason I am partial to the Black Pearl and ImmersionRC Tx (even though I have 0 experience with them), so hopefully someone debunks this concern.

There's a separate 7-channel version of the Black Pearl monitor, with channels better matched to the Immersion frequencies. The 7-channel version has SMA antenna connectors, the 32-channel version you're looking at has RP-SMA instead.

Ahh... Wonder why people don't seem to mention that.. because as many times as I have seen the Black Pearl mentioned for the DJI Phantom, it hasn't been obvious.

And the 32 channel one is the one that pops up when you search to buy it.. You wouldn't even know there was a difference if you were new to this like me and someone like you told me.

In fact, where do you even buy it? Do I just order the SMA version, and then that makes it the 7 channel?? It isn't clear on the page you order it.

You're the man. Thanks for clearing that up. Is there any other practical difference between the 32 channel and 7 channel?

I have a black pearl monitor and immersionRC 5.8 TX and I love them. Band F channel 1 works the best for me. I also use FPVLR.com Antennas and get great distance.

I can recommend ordering from Quadrocopter.com Black Pearl SMA Model $229 because it came quick and has worked perfect. I would NOT recommend ordering anything from hobbyking.com because it took 6 weeks for a tiny, "in stock" transmitter to arrive at my house.

Good luck!

OI Photography said:
The 7-channel version has SMA antenna connectors, the 32-channel version you're looking at has RP-SMA instead.
]

Not true. The 32 channel also comes in SMA (I have one). The 32 channel BP works well with the IRC 600mw. It mainly comes down to the antennas you have fitted.

xgeek said:
OI Photography said:
The 7-channel version has SMA antenna connectors, the 32-channel version you're looking at has RP-SMA instead.
]

Not true. The 32 channel also comes in SMA (I have one). The 32 channel BP works well with the IRC 600mw. It mainly comes down to the antennas you have fitted.

Cool, can you let me know where you got the 32-channel SMA version? I've been looking for one, haven't been able to find any references to anything but the 7-channel SMA, and do you know if your 32-channel version has the same frequencies for F as the RP-SMA?

Interesting, so effectively there's 2 SMA models of the black pearl, one with 32-channels and one with 7 channels, both with the same frequencies for F band...and then one RP-SMA model.

The one quadcopter.com sells at the link above looks like the 32-channel SMA as well.

What's interesting is that Page 9 of the BP manual shows these frequencies for band F on the 32-channel SMA model:

OI4n9POl.png

Only some of the frequencies on there match the grouping Immersion uses, which is what I thought the frequencies were on the RP-SMA model (hence the reports that it's less compatible with the Immersion gear).

OI Photography, trying to keep up with what is being said/realized here (from your post above). Are we now saying that the 32 channel BP IS just as compatible with the ImmersionRC as the 7 channel? Sorry if I missed a clear and obvious point but obv I have no prior knowledge of these things and am taking a crash course here and finding myself on information overload.

Thanks if you can clarify this for me (ELI5 ;) )

Still messing with this, just wanting to make sure I order the correct one. I don't know what is up with the 32 channel compatibility (with ImmersionRC tx's) with what OI posted above, but on rangevideo.com, the info sheet they have on the Black Pearl product page does say that the 7 channel is recommended.

screenshot_2014_07_20_20_57_08_1.png

screenshot_2014_07_20_20_57_15_1.png

What I want to know is How do I order the 7 channel version? On the product page, there is no option to choose 7 or 32 channel. I was under the impression that if you just choose SMA, then you get the 7 channel, but with the post by OI Photography above, it looks as if that may not be case (the 32 channel comes in SMA and RP-SMA). So how do you order the 7 channel, lol?

dollerprod said:
Still messing with this, just wanting to make sure I order the correct one. I don't know what is up with the 32 channel compatibility (with ImmersionRC tx's) with what OI posted above, but on rangevideo.com, the info sheet they have on the Black Pearl product page does say that the 7 channel is recommended.

screenshot_2014_07_20_20_57_08_1.png

screenshot_2014_07_20_20_57_15_1.png

What I want to know is How do I order the 7 channel version? On the product page, there is no option to choose 7 or 32 channel. I was under the impression that if you just choose SMA, then you get the 7 channel, but with the post by OI Photography above, it looks as if that may not be case (the 32 channel comes in SMA and RP-SMA). So how do you order the 7 channel, lol?

7 Channel for IRC is SMA version on Range Video's site...just got same one. One other important note....the charger does NOT come with it...have to order separately but they stock it. Just an FYI.

Good lookin' out on the charger! ..it's the one for $5.99 right?

But anyway, I just happened to go to the another site that sells the Black Pearl that I saw linked to on another post... and you know how a little chat box will come up on a website to ask you if you need any help? So, I asked through that chat window and now they say that the 32 channel is no difference.. this was the conversation:

Hi. My name is stephane. Can i help you? Just to let you know, we are building our new website, so currently our products are not all online. So, if you need something let me know
15:26

Do you have the 7 channel Black Pearl Diversity Monitor? I am under the impression that it is more compatible than the 32 channel version when being used with ImmersionRC Tx's frequencies
15:27
hello?
15:36

yes?
15:39
need help on something?

Do you have the 7 channel Black Pearl Diversity Monitor? I am under the impression that it is more compatible than the 32 channel version when being used with ImmersionRC Tx's frequencies
oh no, nothing to do with this
15:40
32ch is way more compatible
for the immersion you put it on band F and channel 4 and it works perfectly
but from factory we make sure they are already on this, so customers just have to plug and play
15:41
works fine with immersion, fat shark...
15:41
my personal phantom 2 is set up this way and works perfectly
15:42

OK then that's great!
are you in canada or usa

Thanks
USA
ok good

Honestly, I just read this product info page and the infographic says that the 7 channel is better for the ImmersionRC freq
15:43
http://www.rangevideo.com/en/58-ghz/55- ... esign.html
thats because thats what they have in stock and they try to sell it

ahhh
we have been in business since the beginning of fpv and i can tell you it has nothing to do with it
15:44

Well, thanks I'll get it on order!
Good to know

I just want to know which one I need to order lol. This has been one wild ride.

dollerprod said:
OI Photography, trying to keep up with what is being said/realized here (from your post above). Are we now saying that the 32 channel BP IS just as compatible with the ImmersionRC as the 7 channel? Sorry if I missed a clear and obvious point but obv I have no prior knowledge of these things and am taking a crash course here and finding myself on information overload.

Thanks if you can clarify this for me (ELI5 ;) )

I'd like clarity on that as well, now that I know there's 3 models and I'm not positive exactly which channels each uses for the F band.

Ol Photography, I'm in the same dilemma for an FPV setup. Just curious why not just go with the Black Pearl 32ch RP-SMA version http://bit.ly/UkNVqd and match it with the Flysight Tx 5804 (RP-SMA version) http://bit.ly/1nOA56F Have you found that Black Pearl SMA version has better overall performance than the RP-SMA version?

Wouldn’t more channels & bands allow for less conflict when flying with other Phantoms and more options in the future?

OI Photography said:
I'd like clarity on that as well, now that I know there's 3 models and I'm not positive exactly which channels each uses for the F band.

Yeah I'm really not sure and that's no surprise, I have no experience with any of this stuff. I can just see that the same frequencies in the image you posted in the "F Band" row, are the same frequencies from the image I posted in the "Airwave" column. I'm not sure what the difference is..

201402070117069223.jpg

OI4n9POl.png

I'm just going to order the thing and select SMA and hopefully that works out.

From what I can see, 5800MHz doesn't show up on the first list there (but does in the second one), and the first list has 5860MHz twice. And the channels don't seem to be in the same slots between the models, although that's not necessarily a big issue.

Which place are you ordering it from?

Well, that's a good question. Probably rangevideo.com because I can't remember, or find, the website I posted that chat dialog from (I was at work). It was only $5 cheaper anyway.

I wish there was a place that had the vTx, monitor, antennas all together but I can't seem to find that. Is rangevideo.com somewhere that has a good rep around here??

dollerprod said:
Well, that's a good question. Probably rangevideo.com because I can't remember, or find, the website I posted that chat dialog from (I was at work). It was only $5 cheaper anyway.

I wish there was a place that had the vTx, monitor, antennas all together but I can't seem to find that. Is rangevideo.com somewhere that has a good rep around here??

They've been extremely helpful for me. I went there, Atlanta Hobby and B&H for almost everything.

OI Photography said:
From what I can see, 5800MHz doesn't show up on the first list there (but does in the second one), and the first list has 5860MHz twice. And the channels don't seem to be in the same slots between the models, although that's not necessarily a big issue.

Which place are you ordering it from?

It's all very confusing lol. I have been watching for a while now, still only seen that 7 ch version on that one site and no-one else seems to know anything about a special 7ch SMA version that works better with IRC tx's. Something doesn't seem right with that chart also.

Firstpersonview in UK swear by the 32ch SMA version they have for the IRC 600tx. Weirdly they list the frequencies of band F as : "Band F (Airwave): 5740MHz, 5760MHz, 5780MHz, 5800MHz, 5820MHz, 5840MHz, 5860MHz"

Only 7 channels on band F, no 5880 (not that that should matter, most use ch1 I think)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20