Black Motor Coils

Reaction score
Hi,
i recently got a Phantom 3 Advanced and i just noticed that one of the motors coils has turned black after i have flown it a couple of times. Is it still safe to fly on the current motor or is it best to get a replacement motor?

image inserted bellow
IMG_0635.JPG

Seems to be evidence of over heating of all 3 phases.
Replacement is mandatory but the cause needs to be known.
Can you recall any incident where it may have been stalled or obstructed causing this?

Reactions: harrycoram
Seems to be evidence of over heating of all 3 phases.
Replacement is mandatory but the cause needs to be known.
Can you recall any incident where it may have been stalled or obstructed causing this?
It was a refurb and got it like 2 weeks ago, can not think of any incident in which this could happen, could there be a more serious problem with the drone it self?

Overheating and coil damage is usually caused by over-current which is typical with stalling. This can also stress the ESC.
If no errors are reported than a motor replacement could, could, suffice.
The ESCs are part of the main PCB so it would require that be replaced as well if there is visible damage to that motor's ESC.
You'll need to open shell for motor replacement so may as well do so to inspect the ESC section.

Overheating and coil damage is usually caused by over-current which is typical with stalling. This can also stress the ESC.
If no errors are reported than a motor replacement could, could, suffice.
The ESCs are part of the main PCB so it would require that be replaced as well if there is visible damage to that motor's ESC.
You'll need to open shell for motor replacement so may as well do so to inspect the ESC section.
ok thanks, the errors would show on Airdata wouldnt they? if there is ESC damage what would it look like? and what amp range should it be in?

The damage would be evidence of overheating such as discoloration, bubbling of epoxy encapsulated SCRs, or charring.
It would be somewhat obvious when compared to the other 3 motor circuits.

The damage would be evidence of overheating such as discoloration, bubbling of epoxy encapsulated SCRs, or charring.
It would be somewhat obvious when compared to the other 3 motor circuits.
ok thanks for your help, what would the maximum amps it should really go up to?

Specs are hard to come by. Measuring is also cumbersome.
Not sure how this would help in light of the seemingly obvious damage.
Can't be of specific help beyond my observations.

I would definitely replace that motor. As others have said the AC has almost certainly been run with an obstructed prop at some time.

With respect to ESC damage you can't reliably determine damage by visual inspection (in some instances MOSFETS do show signs of damage however thay don't always). The firmware diagnostics should report ESC issues though.

I would definitely replace that motor. As others have said the AC has almost certainly been run with an obstructed prop at some time.

With respect to ESC damage you can't reliably determine damage by visual inspection (in some instances MOSFETS do show signs of damage however thay don't always). The firmware diagnostics should report ESC issues though.
How would I carry out the diagnostics to check the ESC?

How would I carry out the diagnostics to check the ESC?
Harry, don't get too deeply immersed in technicalities; take the path of least resistance first. Just buy a replacement motor (they're about £20 delivered here in the UK) install and then check if it operates well.

When replacing the motor dontbbe tempted to cut and splice the wires. Performing the connections at the mainboard isn't just easier, itbis mire likely to give you more reliable future performance.

Harry, don't get too deeply immersed in technicalities; take the path of least resistance first. Just buy a replacement motor (they're about £20 delivered here in the UK) install and then check if it operates well.

It is 2 weeks old so will probably send it back to the seller for a refund a buy one else where

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan