Black Magic S16 pocket cam

Reaction score
Black Magic Cinema Cameras announced at NAB their new pocket size camera with a Super 16 sensor that shoots ProRes and has 5 stops of dynamic range. Not to mention its tiny!! I'm going to research the overall weight of this thing, but it definitely looks possible to mount on a copter, perhaps a phantom. As a professional videographer, this is big news! Might finally be able to get some quality cinema shots with the phantom!

Is anyone on here at NAB that can find out the weight? I know they are now taking pre-orders and its priced at $995 USD. Might need to resurrect the credit card tonight...

Link: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/its-off ... ew-camera/

Sounds good but going off Black Magics form with the build up to their s35 camera and the wait til there was actually any available, I'd be hanging on to my money til they are pit as well as some reviews suggesting they are worth the bucks.

I'm keen to hear more about them though!

Cheers

Don't steal my idea! Ha. I'm definitely thinking of pre-ordering, overnighting and being the first to attempt a phantom flight. (I gotta be the first at something.). I'm pretty fired up about this camera's potential and did a payload test yesterday with my phantom. I was actually able to fly my old brick of a Minolta X-700 with a lens! I only flew for about 30 seconds because I wasn't sure if there was a danger putting too much strain on the motors. Someone on this forum will surely advise me of my folly. But bottom line, I was able to fly and able to maneuver. Maybe the higher RsPM would add an improved gyroscopic effect? And coupled with the stabilizing effect of greater inertia from the heavier camera, I'm hardcore rationalizing. The 30fps might be a bit of an issue. The BM Pocket cam would be considerably lighter and with a 15mm Body Cap lens, I think it just might work! Or I'm just fooling myself. I'll still have a professional use for the cam if it doesn't work out and since we're all basically commercially grounded by FAA for now, it's not like it would be the end of the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues