Black It Out

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here to the forum and to the Drone Community in General being as I just purchased my first drone (DJI Phantom 2Vision+). I love going through this forum reading what you all have to say. I've seen a few phantoms blacked out. Could someone please point me in the right direction or article about the process of painting my drone.

ASATopGun said:
Hello everyone. I'm new here to the forum and to the Drone Community in General being as I just purchased my first drone (DJI Phantom 2Vision+). I love going through this forum reading what you all have to say. I've seen a few phantoms blacked out. Could someone please point me in the right direction or article about the process of painting my drone.

Hi ASATopGun, and welcome to the forums.

There are a few guys on here who use some dipping process. Others (myself included) have sprayed the shell, and others affix stick on decals. Not sure but I think the decals are mainly for the top half of the shell.

If you want to paint the bottom it does mean stripping everything out and then masking up the vents, screwholes etc. The top needs masking too, but that is a lot easier to paint.

Marlin009 said:
I have the WW2 design (last one to the right on the page).

stG6h1T.jpg

Mine is black underneath only - all done with aerosol spray paint.

Seems to help with LOS. Dont forget the undercoat.

Attachments

• 20150111_115216.jpg
    20150111_115216.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 873
Does the Hero 3 White come with the 3 whited out? Never seen that. Cool.

Also, which IRC transmitter is that? The 600? If so, is it enclosed in a housing?

Hughie said:

Do you remember what type of paint it was? I heard some paints can mess around with some of your signals like gps or your tx/rx range. Also, did you notice any difference in flight times after painting your phantom?

I did mine with plastidip spray. Its rubberish and can be torn of whenever you like.

dptcalvin said:
Does the Hero 3 White come with the 3 whited out? Never seen that. Cool.

Also, which IRC transmitter is that? The 600? If so, is it enclosed in a housing?
Yeah I read somewhere that the white is white, the silver is silver and the black is black. It was over my head as this was the only one I had at the time.

You are right, an IRC600, but it is in a TicTac box which I drilled a few holes in for heat transfer, before it got sprayed black with everything else.

kitari said:
Hughie said:

Do you remember what type of paint it was? I heard some paints can mess around with some of your signals like gps or your tx/rx range. Also, did you notice any difference in flight times after painting your phantom?

I used these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003X1F73I
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003X1HB5A
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MLIFN8

No difference in flight times, no signal problems, no difference in anything except it is easier to see.

I used krylon fusion spray paint (black matte) on the body and used idye poly to dye the camera assembly. I gave the shell 6 days to dry/harden before reassembly. I ordered a replacement shell and painted that to avoid downtime.

Attachments

• 20150130_015051.jpg
    20150130_015051.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 572
Welcome to the forum!

Another option is to put vinyl skins on it. I would give you a link, but my iPad just shows ebay.com on every page! The same for any site. (Anyone know how to fix that?)

Anyway, go to EBay.com. Once there, enter in the search bar: DJI Phantom skin wraps
You will see a lot of patterns. I ordered one, but so far, I'm intimidated with all the pieces with no instructions! Other sellers might provide instructions. Perhaps a better option is to search YouTube.com for: installing phantom skin wraps.

Or, you,can look at the picture on EBay and figure it out. It will probably be easy. I just haven't tried. These won't cover the bottom, but I bought a fluorescent Orange, large piece of vinyl to cover portions of the bottom to aid in visibility.

All the stuff you have to take off, to paint, kinda freaked me out. But, look on eBay for: phantom hardware I bought a pack of all replacement screws. Nice to just have. Good luck! :)

louforgiveno said:
I used krylon fusion spray paint (black matte) on the body and used idye poly to dye the camera assembly. I gave the shell 6 days to dry/harden before reassembly. I ordered a replacement shell and painted that to avoid downtime.

Curious, how's the paint holding up to handling - wear and tear? How many coats? It looks like it turned out well!

The paint is real durable...you can see streaks but nothing through the paint and those streaks were from the sixth day....now it has been over a month and the paint is cured and i doubt I'll get any new streaks short of crashing into something jaggy. I did 2 light coats followed by a heavier coat after 2 days. Weather was wet out so left the pieces above the fridge where it was about 73 degrees. I first thought i regretted the paint and wanted it dyed but the dye leaves a semi gloss and i really like the matte. The more time you give the paint to harden the tougher it will be....and btw the streaks are not very noticeable and I'm happy with the final look.

You would want to stay away from any kind of metallic type paint or any that use any metals as there pigment on the top and probally as the legs. Tho The bottom of the shell it would not matter being any thing it would block from the bottom would be blocking out interference and also would help to reflect some gps signals up towards the top. Theres even a few people that have painted the insides of the bottom shell with copper paint to help increase there gps signal and also to help act as sheilding to keep the wifi and the control signal from interfering with any thing inside.

I've been flying my P2V+ throughout the winter and I finally had to paint the **** thing. We had so much snow and overcast (not to mention my 1/2 century old eyes) that I regularly lost sight of it (no probs down sun in a brilliant blue sky.) I did a lot of reading in R/C aircraft forums and came away with this. (I wanted maximum visibility.)
  • No paint scheme works under all conditions
  • Rather than a single colour, it's best to have a contrasting dark and light colour.
  • Contrasting colours in a irregular pattern is best for orienting your aircraft
These points considered I went with flat black and fluorescent neon orange.
I used Rust-oleum Ultra Flat, non-reflective finish "Camouflage" and Rust-oleum Fluorescent "Bright Neon" paint. I should have used a primer (doh!)

I am impressed with the fluorescent orange. If I only see orange I know my P2V+ pointing at me. If I only see black (or nothing at all) I know it is moving away from me. You can figure out the combinations in between. While it is easy to scratch the paint it has HUGELY improved its visibility in less than ideal conditions. Note from the photos...it is better to keep the colours matched when using the prop guards, unlike the photo.

Attachments

• for_blog.jpg
    for_blog.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Phantom paint job-blog.JPG
    Phantom paint job-blog.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 988
Well here is one of older my Phantoms i did a while back. I sprayed but if i were to do it again i would dip as the spray paint cracks and chips off and looks horrid. I dont use it anymore but im gonna redo it but im trying to do something extra cool with it but i have not figured out just what.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzwdeX1RCWM[/youtube]

Re: Sv: Black It Out

Primer + 2-3 coats of matte black on the body and a skin on the top shell.
But I have noticed tendencies of cracks in the paint, so I'd probably go for dipping the next time as well as this seems to be a bit too fragile.

XO1JIPk.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1