Bizarre IMU Calibration issue

Reaction score
First off, just hoping to get a little more eyes on this issue from being on the discussion forum, rather than just the help forum.

Recently purchased a used p3a.
I flew it for a couple days with it saying that I needed to do a firmware update, so the other night i went through the process of doing so. I will say I did wreck it. Good enough to need to replace the propellers but flew great for the entire time Ive had it. Probably at least 10 or 15 flights after.

I upgraded to the newest firmware (P3S_FW_V01.06.0040.bin) from a older firmware ( not 100% sure which one. It'd been 7 months or so since the previous owner had used it) At that time I wasnt aware that i was supposed to do an imu calibration at the same time.
The next day I went out and flew it around for a while trying to get some footage of some cool looking fog that was up in the hills. I DID go up in to the fog a bit, but then decided it probably wasnt a good idea to try and get above it. I flew it around for another 10 mintues after that.

After landing with no problem, probably 5 minutes later, I was dinking around and saw the button to check imu calibration, it said it needed to be recalibrated.
I havent been able to fly it since.
I attempted to calibrate and got the temperature warning. I assumed it was because it was too cold ( about 40 degrees).

I have now tried it literally everywhere, and Im feeling defeated. There is so much information out there, but none of it seems to help in my situation. I also have tried to reinstall the same firmware, as well as the 1.5.30 ( i think is what it was)

I get the temperature warning every.single.time. Sometimes it will act like its going to do it, taking about 20 minutes to get up to 40% at the most, but no matter what, i get the temperature out of range warning. HEEEELP!!

Some Details -
Error - The temperature is not within the acceptable range. Turn off the aircraft for five minutes, then restart, and try again.

flashing red yellow and green.
the bird itself makes a dd..dddd..dd..dd..dd..dd sound
image.png
image.png

APP V 2.5.1
AIRCRAFT V 1.6.40 or 1.5.30
RC V 1.5.70

Thank you for any insight

Sounds like you still have the firmware file on your SD card as when doing a IMU calibration there is no noise or beeps. Format your SD card and then go back into the Go App and press the IMU Calibration button again. Try doing it from cold.

I have made sure to delete everything from the sd card each time I have redone the firmware.

I've made sure to do in the cold. Heard people even talking about the refrigerated method, but I live in South Dakota, so the outside temp was cool enough. Had the remote and Dji App pulled up, with the calibrate button grayed out, and the second it goes where I can press it after powering it up, I do.
Still nothing.

It does make a DD...DD... DD with the flashing red yellow green lights, and a green light on the gimble.

Unsure why you are getting the DD..DD..DD's as if your firmware is all up to date and you do not have anything on the SD card then this should not be happening. I suggest maybe trying to update the firmware again and once it has completed read the .txt file on the SD card to see what status it is showing. Then if it says success format the card in the drone using the Go App and try again

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Search the forum for "cold calibration", there should be many hits. The trick is to put the bird outside if you live where it's cold out, or in your refrigerator and let it chill down. Pop it out, or if outside, do it right there and it will solve most temperature and warming up issues.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Search the forum for "cold calibration", there should be many hits. The trick is to put the bird outside if you live where it's cold out, or in your refrigerator and let it chill down. Pop it out, or if outside, do it right there and it will solve most temperature and warming up issues.

You have skipped over the posts and just read temperature warnings. This isn't the only issue. He is getting DD...DD...DD when doing an IMU calibration so something else isn't right, it sounds like it is trying to do a firmware update at the same time.

Reactions: jabk0912

I was of the understanding to never put it in the refrigerator im sure i read it on here somewhere before!!

@richardhurst
One thing I realized when you were saying that, is with all of these multiple attempts at going back and forth on the firmware, I didn't actually reformat the sd cards. I just deleted the info.

Could something as simple as that, screw it up after pressing the the "check imu" button?
Trying to calibrating the imu, with a firmware update file in the background?

My computer is updating right this second, or Id be reinstalling a new firmware from a formatted card.

@richardhurst
One thing I realized when you were saying that, is with all of these multiple attempts at going back and forth on the firmware, I didn't actually reformat the sd cards. I just deleted the info.

Could something as simple as that, screw it up after pressing the the "check imu" button?
Trying to calibrating the imu, with a firmware update file in the background?

Yes it can. Format the card using the Go App, it's under the tools tab in camera/video settings right at the very bottom. Do this

Format the card
Load the latest firmware onto the card
put it back in the aircraft with controller switched off
switch drone on
let it run update procedure
when complete turn drop off and take out SD card and read the .txt file on it. It should say success
Format the card again
let the drone cool down
switch it back on and press the IMU calibration button

Hopefully that will all go smoothly

Reactions: jabk0912
Hhmm.
I HOPE that's what it is!
Kind of mad at myself for letting my computer update like 10 minutes ago.

Only difference would be formatting, instead of just erasing. Fingers crossed!

I'll update this no matter the outcome tomorrow.
I appreciate the help so far!

Don't forget there's a need to update your batteries using the same FW that's on your SD card.

When doing a cold IMU calibration it is important to do the calibration as soon as possible after you start the bird. The internals heat up pretty fast so don't let it sit too long before starting the IMU cal.
After the IMU cal, you should also calibrate the gimbal.

For the IMU make sure you check the level of the bird from front to back and side to side. That important to get a stable hover with no drifting.

I have made sure to delete everything from the sd card each time I have redone the firmware.

I've made sure to do in the cold. Heard people even talking about the refrigerated method, but I live in South Dakota, so the outside temp was cool enough. Had the remote and Dji App pulled up, with the calibrate button grayed out, and the second it goes where I can press it after powering it up, I do.
Still nothing.

It does make a DD...DD... DD with the flashing red yellow green lights, and a green light on the gimble.
yes thats right i put mine in fridge at 2c for 30mins then did an imu calibration.the readings were different to when i did it at room temps.
also warms up faster now too

IO
I was of the understanding to never put it in the refrigerator im sure i read it on here somewhere before!!
Not meaning to repeat what some of the other folks have said, but I put my P3P in the fridge (without the battery) for 20-30 minutes immediately before calibrating the IMU. It works just fine every time. It only needs to be done after a new firmware update, when it's been badly bumped (during travel, perhaps), or if it's flying oddly.

I have everything else ready to go (the RC, phone or tablet, etc.) on a perfectly-level (determined with a carpenter's level) kitchen table. After calibrating the IMU, I do the auto-gimbal calibration, too, since it's level.

The room does not need to be chilled during the actual calibration. It doesn't take very long.

I've never had a bad flight in eleven months. A fridge is just above freezing and is not humid.

Please note that many folks here are successfully flying outdoors in well-below-freezing winter locations where it is damp. (BTW, you do not need to re-calibrate the IMU at lower temperatures for outdoor-winter use. Mine flew just fine in Colorado recently with only a very-short warm up.)

The problem with doing the calibration outdoors on the ground or on your cold balcony is that it might not be level. Also, for those of us who live in the hot South during non-winter seasons, our indoor air conditioning isn't cold enough.

Just tryin' to be helpful! :)

Last edited:
Update here.
Made sure the firmware was correctly updated. No help.

Took the top off and opened up the black box, and it all moves freely.

I started a thread in the help section first, and one of the people thinks my temperature sensor may be faulty.

What can I do about that??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Update here.
Made sure the firmware was correctly updated. No help.

Took the top off and opened up the black box, and it all moves freely.

I started a thread in the help section first, and one of the people thinks my temperature sensor may be faulty.

What can I do about that??

The .DAT file has the IMU temperature. If you want to retrieve that we can take a look. Here's how.

Transfer the FLYXXX.DAT file to your computer
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer

will this work on a mac? I ve done exactly as you said, and it still doesnt pop up on the computer. just now its still making the dd...dd...dd...dd put now with all of the lights solid red.

Thanks, I actually just got it all downloaded. Now trying to figure out how to look at the stuff!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues