bit of iPad advice please

Reaction score
iam getting a phantom 3 advanced very soon and just wondered how the ipad mini 2 wifi only model works as the fpv screen when it has no gps.how does the mini ipad 2 get the gps locks.

The iPad Mini 2 works great for me. I have the 16GB cellular model. If you do not buy the cellular model, you will not be able to use the Follow Me feature and you cannot reset the home point to your current location. Other than that, all other GPS features will work since they use the GPS receiver in your Phantom.

Reactions: lotusteve
thanks for the reply, when you say I cant reset the home point does that mean I cant use the return to home feature of the quad. what is the reset home point to current location for, sorry for the questions but iam trying to get to know a few thing before my P3A comes. I only have a syma x5sc for now.

thanks for the reply, when you say I cant reset the home point does that mean I cant use the return to home feature of the quad. what is the reset home point to current location for, sorry for the questions but iam trying to get to know a few thing before my P3A comes. I only have a syma x5sc for now.

Return to Home default home point is set at takeoff, wherever that may be, so it will work regardless, even without a tablet. If you are walking with the quad and want to use the app to change the home point to where you are standing, you won't be able to do that without gps.

I use iPad mini 2 as my screen, works great. I tether to my phone, and get the maps no problem. I don't use follow me or change Rth, so no biggie for me not having gps.

Return to Home default home point is set at takeoff, wherever that may be, so it will work regardless, even without a tablet. If you are walking with the quad and want to use the app to change the home point to where you are standing, you won't be able to do that without gps.

I use iPad mini 2 as my screen, works great. I tether to my phone, and get the maps no problem. I don't use follow me or change Rth, so no biggie for me not having gps.
thankyou..

I have the iPad Air 2. Works like a dream. If you have an iPhone then teather is to get the google map satellite map. Also I think you need gps on that device for the follow me function in the new firmware. So if I want to use that I will just use my iPhone. Get a cover of eBay for less than £10 whatever you use.

The iPad Mini 2 works great for me. I have the 16GB cellular model. If you do not buy the cellular model, you will not be able to use the Follow Me feature and you cannot reset the home point to your current location. Other than that, all other GPS features will work since they use the GPS receiver in your Phantom.

I second this!! Plus get an anti glare screen protector. Find a deal with some accessories or you will be chasing them down. Batteries, filters ect.

does the ipad mini need to be in airplane mode ?

I have the iPad mini 2 32gig wifi with cellular now.. But have not got a SIM card data package in it, do I need to buy a data package.

I have the iPad mini 2 32gig wifi with cellular now.. But have not got a SIM card data package in it, do I need to buy a data package.
You don't need a data plan to use the built in GPS. What you currently have will allow dynamic home point, follow me, etc. You can cache maps at home first via wifi.

If you want to be able to access new maps in the field or do things like live streaming without tethering, you need a data plan.

Last edited:
I have the iPad mini 2 wifi only and it worked fine on firmware 1.1.9 but ever since I upgraded to 1.3.20 and above I get nasty lag and breakup of the live video feed after its done a few minutes. Guess it's heating up maybe? I've tried turning hardware decoding on and off but didn't notice it getting any better so I use my iPhone 6 most of the time now.

Can we just connect this for the full experience if we don't want to tether our phone?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOBTNZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Can we just connect this for the full experience if we don't want to tether our phone?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOBTNZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Yes, you can use an external GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic, including several for Bad Elf models like the one in your link. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and GLO. Just search and you will see a lot of threads to read.

External GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have external GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend extra to get the cellular version each time you upgrade. The down side of course is that its one more thing to carry and make sure is charged.

Eternal GPS will allow dynamic home point, follow me, etc. You can cache maps at home first via wifi.

If you want to be able to access new maps in the field or do things like live streaming, you will need to tether for internet access or have a GPS enabled mobile device with a data plan.

Reactions: JoBe
Yes, you can use an external GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic, including several for Bad Elf models like the one in your link. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and GLO. Just search and you will see a lot of threads to read.

External GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have external GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend extra to get the cellular version each time you upgrade. The down side of course is that its one more thing to carry and make sure is charged.

Eternal GPS will allow dynamic home point, follow me, etc. You can cache maps at home first via wifi.

If you want to be able to access new maps in the field or do things like live streaming, you will need to tether for internet access or have a GPS enabled mobile device with a data plan.

I'm understanding this dynamic home point more now... but I want to see it in action, with screen shots, or videos using this new autopilot app.

I would have just gotten the ipadair with a data plan type had I known it was going to be used for this. I might have to give this one to one of the kids.

I've been using an iPad mini 2 until my iPad mini 4 get here. All and all it works well but you asked so here is my review:

I have transition glasses so they become sunglasses automatically, that and the overall lack of brightness means I look for shade and then I'm ok. Without it IT'S A PROBLEM !

I don't have the cell one but I don't need it I have a External GPS (Dual 160) that better than any phone gps by far. And if I need data I sync up to my iPhone but for covience all in one would be easy

It eats the battery big time but it maybe due to the age but I have to recharge it along with my 3 batteries

I have a Air 2 but I think it just to big for the controller and use either my mini or 6+

I second this!! Plus get an anti glare screen protector. Find a deal with some accessories or you will be chasing them down. Batteries, filters ect.
Ditto on the anti glare screen protector-- I have had one on all summer and just peeled it off to replace it-- flew a couple of days without it -- and there is a huge difference. To much mirror reflection on the screen even in the shade-- I installed another and wont be flying without it.

I have the iPad Air 2. Works like a dream. If you have an iPhone then teather is to get the google map satellite map. Also I think you need gps on that device for the follow me function in the new firmware. So if I want to use that I will just use my iPhone. Get a cover of eBay for less than £10 whatever you use.

Tethering to an iPhone isn't advisable or I should say optimal. Tethering on iOS devices is strictly over 2.4Ghz WiFi the same spectrum used for RC and Video from your P3 to your Controller. I've done it briefly before without issue and I doubt your P3's gonna fall from the sky as a result but it's definitely not optimal to use the tether while in flight. Maybe use it initially before flight to cache maps of your location within the DJi GO App but I wouldn't use it during flight. If Apple ever allows us to choose 5.8Ghz based hot spots then that would be better but so far I've only read where that's a feature on some Android phones.

I'd like to add the iPad Air 2 I am using now is buttery smooth and works really well with the DJi GO App. I ponied up for th Celluar model so I don't have to worry about caching maps beforehand .

Air 2 for me works well. Good size. Home point works perfectly. If you really want to do the follow me mode download the app and use your phone. I can't see myself using it very often. If you do give it to the kids. Google maps update isn't a deal breaker either. You can see on the camera and I mainly use it to orientate myself to fly back. Not for looking at the satellite view.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic