Birmingham Alabama area? Anyone...

Reaction score
Just got a Phantom 3 Pro and was wondering if there is anyone in the Birmingham area to meet up with and fly?

I'm in Hoover. I fly a good bit at the golf course I work at. Welcome to come out on Monday's, since the course is closed, and practice. I am also from the Shoals area and still have family there, so I am up there a good bit.

Thanks guys! Brantley, I'm kind of familiar with your area. I'm up in the Huntsville area from time to time for work. If I ever get up that way and know I'll have some free time I'll give you a shout.
Turfman, thanks for the invite. If get a free Monday and can sneak away from the office for a bit I might take you up on the offer.
Thanks again guys!

I'm in Bham too. let's fly this weekend.
I"ll send my # in PM

I can't figure out PM on this forum.

Hey guys, I'm down 280 near lee branch. I'd like to get together and fly/share ideas, accessories, etc.

I live in Huntsville (really Madison). If you guys get together anywhere in North Area, I'll come.

this labor day weekend is shot, monday also.
I'm sure we can figure a spot/time for all to meet up in near (and cooler weather) future.

my wife and I went to Lake Purdy today.
GO THERE TOMORROW.
the guys running the store were more than happy to let me fly.
few people, open area, unbeateable around Bham, imo.
I was able to push my distance to 3x previous.

again we went to Lake Purdy.
I lost video signal briefly while pushing for a distance record. it scared me, but I didn't panic.
I turned the bird around (via map) and came back towards H, which brought the signal back.
highly recommended area. I'll post a link to video.

I'm a little late on this thread but decided to chip in. I'm in the Montgomery area and would like to get with a group. I'm a newbie. Maybe 40 flights. I'm using the poor man's version while getting the hang of this. P2V. There's a flying club nearby but nobody flies Phantoms. Mostly DIY aircraft. I'm getting my P2V back today from Dronenerds near Miami. I had a fly away and lost a fight with a brick wall. I've got to learn everthing over. It's been a month since I've flown. I'd like to try waypoint flying but don't know exactly how to go about it. I've laid out a simple mission at our flying field but I'm not sure if I know if I'm doing it right. I don't need another crash. If some Alabama pilots form a group I'd like to know. I'm on my own out here.

Pounder, lmk if you come up to bham area.

My son lives in Trussville so I get up that way a bit. Two years ago I lived in Pelham for about three months. I fell in love with Oak Mountain State Park since I lived just a few miles away. Do you know if it's OK to fly there? I'd like to get up there when the fall colors are at their peak. I did a couple of short flights yesterday and the P2V seems about perfect. I had a glitch with the video. I could see FPV on my Samsung Galaxy 5 but every time I hit record it would say recording started then immediately say recording stopped. I took the card out and tried it in the Galaxy and everything seemed OK. I put it back in the Phantom and it worked. Bad connection I guess. I'm going to do a little more flying today but don't plan on getting too adventurous until I feel more comfortable with the controls again. I've flown over water (Alabama River, Grist State Park, and the bay in Destin) quite a bit but I'll give myself a few hours of flight time before doing that again.

pounder,
I have a P3pro, which I love, but admittedly bought without much thought. spur of the moment in the toy store here in bham. I've crashed it numerous times, repaired the gimbal once (5 hour PITA, got 3d parts off here). ipad mini2, never one problem -knock wood-.
the 4k camera's footage is to much for my iMac, so I dumb it down to 1080, which still looks like an IMAX movie. I should have bought the adv model.
I had a windsurfer 3d printed at local library to which I added metal tape and I built a sunshade out of black foam board.
I also got a Dubro balancer (not the best construction or QC (threads damaged on one leg upon arrival) and their spindle which mates to the P3's props. easy to balance horizontally, difficult to balance vertically (hub). maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Lake Purdy (Lake Purdy) is great to fly and a buddy I met on here lets me fly Monday's at the golf course he runs. otherwise, I go to local soccer fields when empty.

I'm considering the P3A once I'm through destroying the P2V. Maybe I will have learned something by then. I'm heading to our flying field now. The city of Valley Grande gave us use of a field next to the sports complex. They mow a section regularly and bale hay there. Nothing scenic but a great place to practice. They even made us a nice sign. Two members of the city council are RC pilots. They do require AMA membership for insurance purposes but I would have had that anyway.

Attachments

• Valley Grande RC.jpg
    Valley Grande RC.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 558

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik