Bird Scaring Tactic

Reaction score
Had a couple of near misses recently with birds approaching the Phantom flight path so I thought I would try this.....

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 782
I have seen some positive results from others who have added "Wiggly Teddy Bear" eyes fore and aft of their Phantom. Might be worth a shot and test it if you can replicate "Bird Activity" reliably enough.

How about having pair of eyes on all 4 sides!

I have seen some positive results from others who have added "Wiggly Teddy Bear" eyes fore and aft of their Phantom. Might be worth a shot and test it if you can replicate "Bird Activity" reliably enough.

I was actually going to suggest that and thought it would get laughed at! [emoji23]

Reactions: BigAl07
I was actually going to suggest that and thought it would get laughed at! [emoji23]

Oh I'm not saying we won't laugh (LOL) but if it works that's really all that matters.

Fort Detrick Maryland is under the Eastern Seaboard Flyway. We had 4 each 60 foot satellite antenna's, white in color. Also the Telecommunications building was a ginormous heat island.

Some birds, mostly starlings, decided to stay year round. The satellite antenna's being white, warmed up in the sun and thus attracted the birds in the evening as a great place to spend the night. The fact that the antenna would rapidly cool off did not occur to the bird brain.

The sound of falling rain coming from under the antenna was heard when there was not a cloud in the sky. Woe be to the soldier that walked under the antenna. 3 or 4 thousand birds would be relaxing, and would release the result of their food gathering of the day. The war was on!!!

Myself and my Commanding Officer were going to stop the birds from roosting in our two satellite antenna's. First we bought these two foot diameter balloons the had targets painted on four sides. These were suppose to look like giant eyes. The birds crapped on the balloons!

We bought fake owls that were supposed to scare them away. The birds crapped on the fake owls.

Then we got a cassette tape of "Starlings in Distress". We started playing this over the intercom speakers half an hour before sunset to half an hour after. The neighbors started complaining their dogs and cats were panic stricken and hiding under the beds quivering. The sound was compared to the sound of baboons mating repeatedly!

Finally you found a Chief Warrant Officer and Senior Non Commisioned Officer running back and forth from antenna to antenna with giant baking spoons and pizza pans, beating away making a ungodly rackets chasing birds from one antenna to the other.

How do you write this into a resume?

Where I work we have an elevated walkway with windows along both sides. Birds try to fly through and end up with broken necks and litter the ground. A co-worker, who is a bird-watching enthusiast, told us that birds can see in the ultra-violet range, and suggested we use window stickers that are shaped like predators in flight - hawks, etc. - on the windows to scare them away. The clear plastic stickers reflect ultraviolet, and while not invisible, they are unobtrusive but very visible to birds. He happened to have some, and we put several on each side of the walkway. Bird casualties have reduced by more than 90%. So, dress up your AC to look like a hawk, or paint one onto the skin. But don't make her look too pretty, or the male hawks will be chasing her all the way to the ground!

Fort Detrick Maryland is under the Eastern Seaboard Flyway. We had 4 each 60 foot satellite antenna's, white in color. Also the Telecommunications building was a ginormous heat island.

Some birds, mostly starlings, decided to stay year round. The satellite antenna's being white, warmed up in the sun and thus attracted the birds in the evening as a great place to spend the night. The fact that the antenna would rapidly cool off did not occur to the bird brain.

The sound of falling rain coming from under the antenna was heard when there was not a cloud in the sky. Woe be to the soldier that walked under the antenna. 3 or 4 thousand birds would be relaxing, and would release the result of their food gathering of the day. The war was on!!!

Myself and my Commanding Officer were going to stop the birds from roosting in our two satellite antenna's. First we bought these two foot diameter balloons the had targets painted on four sides. These were suppose to look like giant eyes. The birds crapped on the balloons!

We bought fake owls that were supposed to scare them away. The birds crapped on the fake owls.

Then we got a cassette tape of "Starlings in Distress". We started playing this over the intercom speakers half an hour before sunset to half an hour after. The neighbors started complaining their dogs and cats were panic stricken and hiding under the beds quivering. The sound was compared to the sound of baboons mating repeatedly!

Finally you found a Chief Warrant Officer and Senior Non Commisioned Officer running back and forth from antenna to antenna with giant baking spoons and pizza pans, beating away making a ungodly rackets chasing birds from one antenna to the other.

How do you write this into a resume?
Rocktopper,
Do you still live in the Frederick area? I know those satellite antenna well. I fly out of Utica Park, and Old National Park and would love to meet up with another local pilot.

I have retired from the military satellite communications after 35 years of running like hell to stay current with the technology. Went from a private to protocol of a Lt. Col.

Have returned to the West Desert of Tooele County Utah. Did 4 tours for 17 years in Frederick.

Too bad we can't get together.

Reactions: acseaman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20