Bird/bat strike

I fly near them all the time. They get out to the way. Natural collision avoidance. Do you have French FRIE grease or something on your hands or chicken grease? That's the only way they will chase your bird. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I don't know how you can be so sure that they'll not hit your bird...i know only that from one they become many and scream loud continuously flying always closer to my bird with legs like they would try to catch it. And more time goes more seagulls arrives. I don't know if it depends of that they have nest where i fly but that's it...[emoji34]

It's a double edge sword, the recovery tools. Either way, you probably get one chance. With either approach, once you do something to recover it, you'll either get a usable file... or it might corrupt it further so it's not recoverable at all. Someone with more experience in recovery tools should chime in. I wonder if there's any software that would let you do a sector copy of the flash card to make a backup before you fool with recovery?

Mike
You could put the card in a reader and plug it into a Linux machine. DD could then backup the contents as an ISO to be restored whenever you choose by swapping input and output.

Forensics investigator here. You could use FTK imager (free) and collect an image of the sd card. Read the file with FTK imager and even mount the image as a drive and do repairs. If one fails, revert back to your original image. There is another freeware tool PC Inspector - kostenlose Software für die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter. which is great freeware too. Use the smart recovery, designed for media cards. 9/10 times this works. Otherwise, you're looking into more detailed data carving and file header assembly which will require better tools and knowledge that cost $$$$

Reactions: alokbhargava
Forensics investigator here. You could use FTK imager (free) and collect an image of the sd card. Read the file with FTK imager and even mount the image as a drive and do repairs. If one fails, revert back to your original image. There is another freeware tool PC Inspector - kostenlose Software für die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter. which is great freeware too. Use the smart recovery, designed for media cards. 9/10 times this works. Otherwise, you're looking into more detailed data carving and file header assembly which will require better tools and knowledge that cost $$$$
Good information.

Thanks for filling us in on what jumped in the way! Hope you are getting your health issues sorted out.

Reactions: hms and mikesmiley
Thank you, Larry. They're trying some another type of antibiotics, and hopefully I'll be back to work in a few days if all goes well.

I haven't read such an intriguing thread in a long time here. So much mystery and buildup, thoroughly enjoyed.

You'll get that bird up in no time. Plenty of people here that can offer guidance.

That light pole said "get outta my house!".

Reactions: mikesmiley
I haven't read such an intriguing thread in a long time here. So much mystery and buildup, thoroughly enjoyed.

You'll get that bird up in no time. Plenty of people here that can offer guidance.

That light pole said "get outta my house!".

Lol I'm glad a few people enjoyed it. I'm still blown away that it flew itself back home. What are the odds of that happening? It was like hitting the lottery.

Just waiting for the mounting plate. I've already got the connector back on the one cable that comes from deep inside. Tedious, but a lot less work than tearing the whole thing down to the bare shell to replace that cable.

No blood or markings.... my bet is on power/phone line.... what was your programmed altitude when it went into RTH? Curios case.... everyone wants to know! ;-)

Here is my shame:

So sad to see this!
Gotta say that when I watched it (and thank you for posting), the pucker factor went through the roof!
Good man too! You admitted your oversight and posted what you had!
Thank You!

Thank you, Larry. They're trying some another type of antibiotics, and hopefully I'll be back to work in a few days if all goes well.
and yes, get feeling better so you can fly some more! But remember... light standards don't move!
Feel better!

Lol I'm glad a few people enjoyed it. I'm still blown away that it flew itself back home. What are the odds of that happening? It was like hitting the lottery.
I wouldn't say I enjoyed it..... but good aim!

So sad to see this!
Gotta say that when I watched it (and thank you for posting), the pucker factor went through the roof!
Good man too! You admitted your oversight and posted what you had!
Thank You!

I was kinda embarrassed to post my final findings on that, but I'm as prone as anyone to the occasional screw up, and I have no problem laughing at myself and letting others laugh too. I got incredibly lucky in that it was able to fly itself back home, and I'm very thankful for that.

It's fixed. My replacement parts from B&H were on the porch when I got home from work. My yaw arm is bent to one side quite a bit, but a quick gimbal calibration after I put it back together seems to have perfectly compensated for that. The horizon is level in my recorded video.

Life is good!

Reactions: TWP723
Hey, way to go, and congrats on the gimbal issue.
Life is good once again. Yes.

RedHotPoker

I sent it up tonight on a Litchi waypoint mission. After a couple minutes I was well beyond RC range. A minute or so later I get the RTH beep and it's coming home. Camera view is still frozen from when it flew out of range, but I switch back to P and controls work fine. As I'm landing, I can see something looks very, very wrong..

The video file on the SD card is (not surprisingly) corrupted, and will not play, so I'm not sure what hit me.

I'm very, very bummed out right now. But, I'm also incredibly amazed the she flew herself directly home with a broken prop and the camera and gimbal torn off.
I also thought it odd that the trailing arm of the gimbal mount was the one that broke: not anything up front. And to break that arm, I'd think it would take a direct hit to the gimbal mount yet I see no divots on the gimbal mount or board. But with flying and spinning things, I guess you can end up with all sorts of contortions and flopping. Also, the trailing edge of the prop is much thinner than the leading edge so I guess the leading edge could have taken the strike but the trailing edge was fragile enough to break off. I do think it would have taken a solid object like a tree branch or metal pole to do that. I think a bird is too "squishy".

Edit: You also have to consider the remote possibility that it was shot at.

Mike
Haha! Good one CCDD. Seriously though, how are your neighbors? ;) In thinking about this, a projectile would certainly explain it. I still think some other oddball set of events is more likely... BUT... what if someone took a pellet rifle or a .22 to it? Pellet rifle would be relatively silent and the projectile could have come up from underneath, struck the left rear gimbal mount arm, broke it, and stray lead could have pierced the prop from there (explaining why the trailing edge of the prop took damage). Just sayin'. Try to get that video! And the flight log!

Mike
Man, if the video is recovered, think of the YouTube possibilities! "Phantom 3 shot, camera hanging, broken prop, and still returns home!"

I predict 2m hits. ;)

Mike
I get some serious buzzing going one with swifts, seagulls would make me run for sure as they are viscous.
I wondered that as well. Nick, scuff mark, discoloring, or anything on the leading edge of that prop to indicate it struck something? I would think for it to hit something hard enough to blow out the trailing edge, it'd definitely have a nick or a scuff on it.

Mike
Here is my shame:

Ouch

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4