Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Bird Attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milly, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Milly

I have read a few threads on bird attacks and last Sunday, (in the UK) on country file they showed a trial of counting sea birds on a cliff face nesting spots using a Phantom.
    The thinking was that it would be disturbing to the nesting birds, but much to the delight of the RSPB the birds paid no attention to the drone at all and was hailed as a great success.
    I had a couple of battery flights last night and got some great shots of an old castle ruin close to were I live and again the nesting birds took no notice at all of the drone, if I was to get even close on foot they will dive bomb to protect the nests.

Attached Files:

IflyinWY likes this.
  2. Clipper707

I heard a science report on the radio that talked about the values of drones to observe birds without disturbing them. The only thing that alarmed then was if drones descend upon them from above, because it simulates a bird of prey.

Milly likes this.
  3. Mal_PV2_Ireland

I've filmed nesting gulls off a cliff and while they had no problem with the phantom they actually avoided it but on the top of the island I was getting dive bombed :)
    Gulls are in the footage around the 1:57 mark
    Flying around Ireland's Eye:

Marlin009, Milly and IflyinWY like this.
  4. IflyinWY

I was headed sort of towards an Eagle a while back, from maybe 150 meters away, and it started heading straight at my bird. I headed away from the Eagle as fast as possible and after a couple seconds the Eagle went about flying where he had been.

Some birds are territorial. I'll let you folks do the testing. :eek:

EDIT: Clipper has a good video of being buzzed by birds and ladies laughing at the situation. :)

Milly likes this.
  5. Clipper707

Mal_PV2_Ireland likes this.
  6. lignow

Great Video. Had mine for about a year now, still amazed at the quality of some of these vids.