Binoculars/Rangefinder

DML

Reaction score
I've recently purchased my Phantom 2 Vision, I've successfully flown it 5 times, but I'm a little leery of letting it get too far out of my eyesight (and I have very good eyesight). Maybe this is something I'll get over as I begin to trust the safeguards & technology in it, but the thought of binoculars came to me immediately the first I became uncomfortable with how far it was, and then quickly progressed to a rangefinder. However, since I don't golf or hunt, I've never used a rangefinder before, let alone know what to look for in a reliable one...or even if one would pick up the Drone.

1) Has anyone here used a good rangefinder (or even a bad one to avoid)?
2) Can a rangefinder successfully pick up the Drone at distance, due to how small it is at that point, not to mention the materials it's made of? I'm guessing that the ground surrounding/or metal flagstick on a green, or a shooting target, are much easier to paint than a plastic Drone.

Thanks for any input/advice in advance!

I've used a range finder a lot for archery. Based on my experience I think it would be a phantom at distance would be an extremely difficult target to get a fix and reading on. IMO it would be too small unless it was a particularly sophisticated range finder.

That's what I expected, the surface of it is small, with a plastic shell...oh well. Was really hoping one would work, but doesn't sound like it so far. If anyone has a positive experience with a rangefinder I'd love to hear about it.

The rangefinder idea probably won't work but the app has a built-in rangefinder in the bottom left corner.
The radar display and other telemetry in the app is very useful.
Even if you lose sight of your Phantom, you know where it is and which way it is pointing.
Master that and your confidence will improve.

DML said:
I've recently purchased my Phantom 2 Vision, I've successfully flown it 5 times, but I'm a little leery of letting it get too far out of my eyesight (and I have very good eyesight). Maybe this is something I'll get over as I begin to trust the safeguards & technology in it, but the thought of binoculars came to me immediately the first I became uncomfortable with how far it was, and then quickly progressed to a rangefinder. However, since I don't golf or hunt, I've never used a rangefinder before, let alone know what to look for in a reliable one...or even if one would pick up the Drone.

1) Has anyone here used a good rangefinder (or even a bad one to avoid)?
2) Can a rangefinder successfully pick up the Drone at distance, due to how small it is at that point, not to mention the materials it's made of? I'm guessing that the ground surrounding/or metal flagstick on a green, or a shooting target, are much easier to paint than a plastic Drone.

Thanks for any input/advice in advance!
If you are leary about it getting to far and out of site I would do a couple of longer distance flights in Ground Station to get your feet wet. It is safe and even if you lose signal the Phantom will continue on its flight plan and come back. You can tell it to go to whatever distance you want and it will help you get a point of reference and get you oriantated to how far away it is. Depth perception and distance are both pretty tricky when it comes to these things but they are learned over time. I started out doing all my longer flights (over 1k feet) in ground station. I am completely comforatable now doing it on my own. Especially so since I enabled home lock. Another great tool if you get disoriented.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers