Binding a 2nd Vision+ Range Extender

Reaction score
For folks looking to bind a second range extender, i thought this info might be useful based on my own experience. My purpose for the second range extender is to do some testing between a modified extender with the Stage 2 antenna upgrade from FPVLR and the stock extender with no upgrade and also with/without booster app. I want the tests to be fair and legit, so I wanted to do them back to back at the same location under the same conditions. This requires me to have two extenders (one modified) that I can swap out between flights and fly the same route under nearly identical conditions.

After binding my second extender I came across some interesting revelations..

1) No need to rebind the extender when switching between extenders. Either the phantom recognizes two different extenders from the previous bindings, or the extender itself stores the binding info. I believe the latter is more probable but others feel free to chime in if you know for certain as i'm curious.

2) To bind the extender you need to scan the QR code. NOT the QR code on the back of the extender!!! Scan the QR code from the original box of the phantom for which you are binding the extender. Never throw away the original box!

3) Initially I thought there was something wrong with my 2nd extender because it wasn't broadcasting an SSID to my iPad or iPhone. I later realized that the Phantom actually has to be turned on and establish a communication path with the extender before the extender will broadcast this SSID to your wifi device/smartphone. I couldn't understand why this was necessary, but my experience showed me it was. If you only power on the extender and not the Phantom (even if its not binded yet) it will not broadcast. It's actually detailed in DJI's instructions below... but it says power on the camera, not phantom. It makes sense you need power on phantom for the binding process later... just didn't realize it wouldn't broadcast the SSID until this step occurred.. See instructions below.

1.Power on the camera and Range Extender.
2.Approximately 30 seconds later, press the Binding Reset Button on the Range Extender with a thin object until the SYSTEM Indicator turns off. The Range Extender will then restart automatically.
3.Approximately 30 seconds later, the SYSTEM Indicator will start to blink green, indicating that the Range Extender is ready for binding.
4.Enable Wi-Fi on your mobile device then select “Phantom_XXXXXX” the (SSIDof your Range Extender) from theWi-Fi network list.
5.Figure 37) Run the DJI VISION App then tap -> Settings -> General -> Binding. (Figure 38) Select ’Scan QR Code’ to scan the camera QR code on the product packaging. (Figure 39) Get the camera SSID (E.g. FC200_xxxxxx) and the MAC address. You can also skip the scan and enter the camera MAC address directly (Figure 38, Figure 40). The MAC address can be found on the camera label.
6.Tap the check mark in the top right corner. Reboot the phantom and extender! (I revised this last step from the manual).

As an interesting test for the SSID broadcasting issue identified above.. Power on only the extender. Check your iOS / android device to see if it sees it. It will not. Now power on the phantom... wait a bit.. and you should see that it is now broadcasting... now turn off only the Phantom, and you will see that the extender stops broadcasting the SSID... Hope this helps some folks out there. I have no doubt someone else will experience an issue in rebinding their extender at some point... and i'm betting this info could very well resolve their problem.

Thanks for the info, however your test will not be a perfect comparison as you are using two different extenders which may vary in power output. It would be a good idea to first run side-by-side range tests of the unmodified range extenders to see how they compare to each other in their original state.

Dirty Bird said:
Thanks for the info, however your test will not be a perfect comparison as you are using two different extenders which may vary in power output. It would be a good idea to first run side-by-side range tests of the unmodified range extenders to see how they compare to each other in their original state.
Anything is possible, but why would they vary in power output? The extenders are the same model, type, and specification. Same board, same battery, same antenna type. I agree no specs are perfectly identical, but i would assume they should be pretty **** close... I agree that would make the test even more credible just to be on the safe side.

Wow, thank you, interesting info and great tips.
Will be binding my second range extender soon.

FPVLR said:
Hello Srandell,

I want to quote you an email i just received today, it's a pm so I hope the owner won't get upset, but i will not include his name, but I get hundreds of emails like these.
quoted text:

'I'm Really interested in a stage 1 kit. I have p2v+. I get about 1100 feet with booster app on stock radio. I'm not looking to break records possibly fly tad bit farther but really would like better fpv... Is the install super hard? And is the stage 1 kit what I need?"

so you think that every extender and every P2V+ is the same, it's better to think again. This guy is getting 1100ft WITH the booster app on.

So why someone is getting 10000 ft and another person only 1100?

answer: poor quality control by DJI, different environment, different user ability in selecting the area, and the position of the flying mission.

Of course this guy will be happy if he gets 2500-3000ft of usable range with stage 1 or stage 2 given where he is starting from.
As you mentioned before, range is contingent on a lot of outside variables. He may only be getting 1100 feet due to signal congestion or any other reason, just like I only got 3000' with the stage 2... fully understand the variables at play here... hence the reason i'm interested in doing a side by side test under the most similar conditions possible... Also in response to your statement "if your logic is correct, then why are people getting 6000+ ft..." I make no claims or logic with regard to the stock extender having any more range than a stage 2... or any claims that a stage 2 is or isn't capable of. I fully recognize a stage 2 will out perform stock. My intent for the test is to satisfy my own curiosity in how much the delta is between a stock extender with the booster app and the stage 2 with the booster app under nearly identical conditions. My desire to test this is in no way shape or form to discredit your antennas or the added performance they provide. I will freely share any results I come up with and identify all the conditions and people are free to make their own conclusions as to whether or not it's a fair comparison. It's just another data point people can use to help them make decisions that are right for them.

Wedeliver said:
would this answer the question as to output on those devices??

RF Power Meter (ImmersionRC)

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/RF-Power-Met ... ionRC.html
nice find... If that device was like $30 i would actually buy it for the test... but for $150, i think i would rather 'fly/range' test each extender as stock. And yes.. fully understand that variables in flight conditions and range can still vary from flight to flight even in the same environment, same day, minutes apart... I think to reach any real credibility in any tests, there has to be many tests accomplished that shows consistent results... so i will absolutely not be making any irrefutable claims from any tests i perform. Wow, didn't intend for this thread to turn from adding a 2nd Range extender tips to this... maybe I should have just left that part out.. lol

I would do the test and then flip the antenna to the other extender and re-test. That way it eliminates the power output discrepancies.

tizzl10 said:
I would do the test and then flip the antenna to the other extender and re-test. That way it eliminates the power output discrepancies.
You mean modify both extenders?

FPVLR said:
It's a KNOWN fact that the extender will pump out more power when the battery is 100% , and then will "throttle down" when battery starts to sag...

That is why people are using piggy back batteries to keep the extender charged and trick it into giving 100% power output all the time...

Just a few pointers here.

This test would only be useful if it's using the same extender under same battery level configuration.

Question,
have you tried using a piggy-back battery to keep the internal battery 100% and checking your range then?

That's probably well spent money to get a usb piggy back battery.

Tony.
****, that's why I love this forum... never knew about the battery percentage factoid. I always just assumed it was getting the same power output as long as it wasn't dead... good to know. I do have a piggy back battery i had mounted there this whole time and never had to use it... thanks!

FPVLR said:
tizzl10 said:

I totally agree with tizzl10 on this.

no wires need to be cut to perform the extender mod.

Tony.
well luckily I never cut those wires.. :)

srandall25 said:
For folks looking to bind a second range extender, i thought this info might be useful based on my own experience. My purpose for the second range extender is to do some testing between a modified extender with the Stage 2 antenna upgrade from FPVLR and the stock extender with no upgrade and also with/without booster app. I want the tests to be fair and legit, so I wanted to do them back to back at the same location under the same conditions. This requires me to have two extenders (one modified) that I can swap out between flights and fly the same route under nearly identical conditions.

After binding my second extender I came across some interesting revelations..

1) No need to rebind the extender when switching between extenders. Either the phantom recognizes two different extenders from the previous bindings, or the extender itself stores the binding info. I believe the latter is more probable but others feel free to chime in if you know for certain as i'm curious.

2) To bind the extender you need to scan the QR code. NOT the QR code on the back of the extender!!! Scan the QR code from the original box of the phantom for which you are binding the extender. Never throw away the original box!

3) Initially I thought there was something wrong with my 2nd extender because it wasn't broadcasting an SSID to my iPad or iPhone. I later realized that the Phantom actually has to be turned on and establish a communication path with the extender before the extender will broadcast this SSID to your wifi device/smartphone. I couldn't understand why this was necessary, but my experience showed me it was. If you only power on the extender and not the Phantom (even if its not binded yet) it will not broadcast. It's actually detailed in DJI's instructions below... but it says power on the camera, not phantom. It makes sense you need power on phantom for the binding process later... just didn't realize it wouldn't broadcast the SSID until this step occurred.. See instructions below.

1.Power on the camera and Range Extender.
2.Approximately 30 seconds later, press the Binding Reset Button on the Range Extender with a thin object until the SYSTEM Indicator turns off. The Range Extender will then restart automatically.
3.Approximately 30 seconds later, the SYSTEM Indicator will start to blink green, indicating that the Range Extender is ready for binding.
4.Enable Wi-Fi on your mobile device then select “Phantom_XXXXXX” the (SSIDof your Range Extender) from theWi-Fi network list.
5.Figure 37) Run the DJI VISION App then tap -> Settings -> General -> Binding. (Figure 38) Select ’Scan QR Code’ to scan the camera QR code on the product packaging. (Figure 39) Get the camera SSID (E.g. FC200_xxxxxx) and the MAC address. You can also skip the scan and enter the camera MAC address directly (Figure 38, Figure 40). The MAC address can be found on the camera label.
6.Tap the check mark in the top right corner. Reboot the phantom and extender! (I revised this last step from the manual).

As an interesting test for the SSID broadcasting issue identified above.. Power on only the extender. Check your iOS / android device to see if it sees it. It will not. Now power on the phantom... wait a bit.. and you should see that it is now broadcasting... now turn off only the Phantom, and you will see that the extender stops broadcasting the SSID... Hope this helps some folks out there. I have no doubt someone else will experience an issue in rebinding their extender at some point... and i'm betting this info could very well resolve their problem.

Could you send me the pictures mentioned on the post?
I cant see the pictures for some reason...
What I am trying to find out is the MAC address to re-bind my camera....
I look on the label of the camera, see a QRCode, but don't see a MAC address...
Appreciate the help
Thanks
Jason

I dont have any pictures to show you but on the back of the Range Extender there is a lable. It says "Range Extender" then under that it says FCC ID, then right after it says Range Extender it says Mac Addr: and under that is the Address you need to input.

I think I misspoke above. I was pointing the user to the wrong mac address, the camera mac address is what is needed and it is not easy to find. here is what the manual says at this point.

Hints and Tips:
(1)The QR code is located on the bottom cover of the Phantom 2 Vision+. If you cannot find the QR code, please contact DJI customer service and provide your camera serial number (printed on the label of the camera) so they can generate a new QR code for you.
(2)Photographing and saving the QR code is recommended to prevent loss.

I wonder if the camera mac code might be the numbers at the bottom the that QR code on the bottom of my Vision +

Wedeliver said:
I dont have any pictures to show you but on the back of the Range Extender there is a lable. It says "Range Extender" then under that it says FCC ID, then right after it says Range Extender it says Mac Addr: and under that is the Address you need to input.

Isn't the camera MAC Address that I need to input there to bind the wifi extender with the camera? I am confused.
I thought I had to input the Camera MAC Address in the Range Extender configuration on the app to bind both together...
Please confirm.

jgmayer said:
Wedeliver said:

Isn't the camera MAC Address that I need to input there to bind the wifi extender with the camera? I am confused.
I thought I had to input the Camera MAC Address in the Range Extender configuration on the app to bind both together...
Please confirm.

Humm, I would think you are right. But I am also unable to find the mac address for the camera. here is what the manual says at this point.

Hints and Tips:
(1)The QR code is located on the bottom cover of the Phantom 2 Vision+. If you cannot find the QR code, please contact DJI customer service and provide your camera serial number (printed on the label of the camera) so they can generate a new QR code for you.

I counted the numbers that are at the bottom of that QR code that is on the bottom of my Vision + and there are the correct number and type of numbers and letters that it could be the mac address. right under the barcode is a set of numbers that I am speaking about.

That is an interesting situation... Are you able to see the hidden network from the camera? I mean see the MAC address this way? Appreciate you looking into this.. Thanks

jgmayer said:
That is an interesting situation... Are you able to see the hidden network from the camera? I mean see the MAC address this way? Appreciate you looking into this.. Thanks

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is a mac Address under the QR code on the bottom of the Vision + and since the instructions say:

Hints and Tips:

I think that could be the Mac Address of the Camera. Let us know if it works

The only issue with the is what happens if we change cameras. Which can be done in a heart beat and I think a new camera will work with the range extender without any further help. Just turn on the Phantom Vision + and the range extender and even with a brand new camera, (or just a different one) it works just like that, doesnt it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik