Biggest battery that fits a stock phantom 1.1.1

I don't think fail safe engages on low voltage...at least not in any mode I've used?? That's be a pretty horrible flight experience!

ElGuano said:
I don't think fail safe engages on low voltage...at least not in any mode I've used?? That's be a pretty horrible flight experience!
I mean "return home and land"-that's what I have selected when the 1st level voltage goes off. Never had it come back-as I'm always monitoring it. But, that's what it's supposed to do.....I think?

havasuphoto said:
ElGuano said:
I mean "return home and land"-that's what I have selected when the 1st level voltage goes off. Never had it come back-as I'm always monitoring it. But, that's what it's supposed to do.....I think?

Hmm, I don't think it works that way.

1. First level is the flashing led only, there is no action taken by the Naza. And are you sure you don't mean the second level (lower voltage than first, forced auto-land)?

2. The second level doesn't fail safe in the traditional way. It doesn't RTH and iirc that's not something you can set. It will auto-descend in place, slowly increasing the amount of throttle required to maintain hover until you need 90% stick-up just to stay aloft. Other than more resistance to throttle, you still have full A/E/R control. It doesn't RTH because at this point, your battery is so darned low that it's a danger in the air-so instead it virtually forces you to the ground.

Yea, that makes sense. I was confusing the loss of reception from the transmitter. It returns home and lands-that's what I have selected.
It would make sense that it wouldn't try to return home-as there isn't enough time between 1st and 2nd level to accomplish the "mission".
Here's the thread where I got the information that I thought the Phantom would attempt to return home on 1st level warning;
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4362

I've never tested it......

Almost every landing I've had has been a "forced" one through the voltage limits :D

Even when I've generally ended the flight before it kicks in (which is usually the case), I wait and hover at 1-2m and let it sit there till the NAZA lands it...it always just starts to settle till it hits the ground, it never initiates RTH.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
OI Photography said:
Almost every landing I've had has been a "forced" one through the voltage limits :D

Even when I've generally ended the flight before it kicks in (which is usually the case), I wait and hover at 1-2m and let it sit there till the NAZA lands it...it always just starts to settle till it hits the ground, it never initiates RTH.

You rarely manually land your Phantom?

Landing on your own is a fundamental flying skill,

I'm sure OI just gets a kick out of letting autoland robot it for him.

I tend to run every flight to at 80%, just so I can get an unextrapolated reading of my drain. But the best thing to do is to land early if you're done, it's really better for the battery that way.

I should clarify: I let the Phantom (and I do the same with my 550 right now) hover till the autoland kicks in, and then I just catch it by countering the descent usually within the last 2 feet, and finish the touchdown by hand. I don't like how fast the autoland will drop it when it's got much of anything on it, and often enough the landing needs some counter-stick for wind etc anyway to be as smooth as it can.

I wait till that point for the same reason ElGuano pushes his, to have the full data, but once I get a bit more I fully intend to just land without waiting for that (which is why I want the data in the first place, to be able to better judge all that without relying on the NAZA).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl